Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second chance student question

Options
  • 18-06-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

hey guys got my offer for college.but turns out can get btea.
    basically what im wondering is about the maintance grant..

does a second chance student qualify for this?

also i did 1 year in 07/08 in nuim and failed.
    I repeated 2 exams externally in 08/09 will this effect my eligibilty
    as a second chance student even though i wasnt regestered in education?
    thaks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

spudnick wrote: »
    hey guys got my offer for college.but turns out can get btea.
    basically what im wondering is about the maintance grant..

does a second chance student qualify for this?

also i did 1 year in 07/08 in nuim and failed.
    I repeated 2 exams externally in 08/09 will this effect my eligibilty
    as a second chance student even though i wasnt regestered in education?
    thaks

If you get BTEA you cannot get a maintenance grant - you can get a fee grant to pay fees - I'm not sure if you can claim you are a second chance student or not - I think the college fees office should be able to advise if you can be deemed a second chance student for free fees and SUSI should be able to advise if you can be deemed a second chance student for the grant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Spudnick,

We have two second chance rules. There is a 3 year rule and a 5 year rule.

The 3 year rule: If you don't complete the course you have 3 years to go back and re-do the same course.

The 5 year rule: If you don't complete the course you have to wait 5 years and then you can re-apply, to any course. The gap has to be 5 years from when you left the course.

I hope this information helps. If you would like to know anything further please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 robyurt

Hi Aoife
    What if you have done a course within does 5 years and it was a FETAC level 5 in a college of further education and you want to qualify for the second chance student going to a third level education level 7 in an IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

robyurt wrote: »
    Hi Aoife
    What if you have done a course within does 5 years and it was a FETAC level 5 in a college of further education and you want to qualify for the second chance student going to a third level education level 7 in an IT?

Her Account is closed. I doubt she will reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

robyurt wrote: »
    Hi Aoife

You must not attend any education were the course leads to a major award on the NFQ.

This also includes part-time, full-time and private courses.
    It also includes certain apprenticeships that have fetac qualifications attache to them.
    It also means even if you only partially attended any courses, even for a very short period.

• Advertisement
Advertisement