Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most hygienic place for hot wax: Dublin City Centre Area

• 27-11-2013 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can somebody recommend a good place for a really hygienic hot wax around Dublin City Centre? Places where it is certain that there is no double dipping, therapist wears gloves, etc., etc.,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Brizillia on South William St.

It's a little pricy, but they definitely use real Lycon wax and they don't double dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Brizillia on South William St.

It's a little pricy, but they definitely use real Lycon wax and they don't double dip.

Was gonna say same. Only thing is that it depends on the person you get whether they wear gloves or not. When they haven't used gloves they've fully sanitized their hands first. The lady I used to go to said she prefers not to wear gloves because she can grip the hair better and can feel what shes doing. I would pick brazilia over any other salon in dublin tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

+1 for Brazilia, they're excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Is there any other options other than brazillia ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Wax in the city? I went there once, good service and good value

• Advertisement

Brazilia do double dip (perhaps it depends on the therapist, but they don't have a "no double dipping" policy).

The only place I absolutely know of that doesn't double dip is waxperts in Dun Laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Thanks everyone.

I couldn't get an appointment at Brazilia but got one at Nuessence on South Anne Street.

It was the second worst wax I've ever had.

Firstly, appointment started 5 mins late. Even after that the therapist disappeared to let me get changed. She was gone the better part of 5 mins.

When she came back she started waxing pretty quickly. She did wear gloves. However, she double dipped the spatula. When I questioned her about that she started saying that they didn't double dip ever and that she had only used the spatula to spread the wax and something else about blood spots. Anyway, I couldn't follow her logic. To my mind if you stick the spatula back in the wax pot (which she did repeatedly) that is double dipping.

To be fair she was fairly quick and efficient. When she was done she left the room about a half second after pulling off the last strip without asking me if I was satisfied.

Then I saw that she had missed a whole section. I had to get dressed and go down to the reception to tell her to come back up to finish it off. This she did. That waxing hurt more than any before. I don't know why. She said it might have been because she went in a bit further at the bikini line. So great, leave me uneven then.

Got home and found that it wasn't a clean wax around bikini line and that she had bruised me.

Would never, ever go there again.

The only reason I went was because I couldn't be bothered travelling to Rathmines where I usually go. Last time I'll make that mistake. I get a much better wax cheaper there.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

A lot of salons will double dip until they get a blood spot, then change the spatula. When you are pre cleansing the area anyway, unless there is a blood spot it shouldn't matter?

A lot of salons will double dip until they get a blood spot, then change the spatula. When you are pre cleansing the area anyway, unless there is a blood spot it shouldn't matter?

It seems kinda gross to me a little even if the areas they use the wax on are sparkling clean with no blood spots. Some skin cells are definately gonna end up back on the spatula after waxing a spot and then when those cells are dumped into the wax if they double dip. So the next person to get their lip waxed could be getting skin cells from someone's very intimate parts all over their face.

Lack of blood just takes away that chance of spreading any diseases that spread through blood alone. But the person being waxed could have any number of nasty diseases that are spread by contact alone. The heat of the wax will probably kill off anything but the idea of potentially having somebody's nastiness spread all over my face just doesn't sit right with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

It seems kinda gross to me a little even if the areas they use the wax on are sparkling clean with no blood spots. Some skin cells are definately gonna end up back on the spatula after waxing a spot and then when those cells are dumped into the wax if they double dip. So the next person to get their lip waxed could be getting skin cells from someone's very intimate parts all over their face.

Lack of blood just takes away that chance of spreading any diseases that spread through blood alone. But the person being waxed could have any number of nasty diseases that are spread by contact alone. The heat of the wax will probably kill off anything but the idea of potentially having somebody's nastiness spread all over my face just doesn't sit right with me.

Staph and cellulitis infections to name a few....

Also some sti's such as herpes as it's possible to be shedding the virus but have no symptoms just like coldsores

• Advertisement

Hmm. Well, if you don't mind somebody's skin cells, their contagious impetigo, their contagious fungal infections, their eczema, their contact dermatitis, their contagious cold sores, etc., being smeared onto you, then it is best to go to a salon that double dips.

Would you go to a hotel and sleep in the previous guest's bedclothes just because there wasn't a blood spot? Would you use the previous guests towels just because there wasn't a blood spot? Same thing.

I can't understand 1) how health and safety people allow it (do they?), and 2) why salons do it just because they can? I mean, if they are too stupid to know or care about how disgusting and unhygienic they are should they even be allowed to work in the industry?

smeedyova wrote: »
    Hmm. Well, if you don't mind somebody's skin cells, their contagious impetigo, their contagious fungal infections, their eczema, their contact dermatitis, their contagious cold sores, etc., being smeared onto you, then it is best to go to a salon that double dips.

Would you go to a hotel and sleep in the previous guest's bedclothes just because there wasn't a blood spot? Would you use the previous guests towels just because there wasn't a blood spot? Same thing.

I can't understand 1) how health and safety people allow it (do they?), and 2) why salons do it just because they can? I mean, if they are too stupid to know or care about how disgusting and unhygienic they are should they even be allowed to work in the industry?

Are you serious? You sound a bit hysterical to be honest. I am not doubting its gross but you seriously think any (decent) therapist would wax over impetigo (and yea, I've caught that from either thread or tweezers that that were used to shape my brows) or a cold sore?

What about manicure equipment being used on someone with a fungal infection? Or a tweezers being used on someone? You're assuming they are all really well sanitized, which I very much doubt. (A lot of salons I know just use barbicide and not an autoclave like they're supposed to)

I do agree with you regards health and safety though, it's beyond gross that it isn't regulated. After I caught impetigo from a salon, I contacted many many people in regards to hygiene in salons and nobody had a right to go into a salon and inspect it which I found outrageous, and the health and safety inspector advised me to take it to court and sue for damages and said its all I could do but the salon couldn't be inspected

... but you seriously think any (decent) therapist would wax over impetigo (and yea, I've caught that from either thread or tweezers that that were used to shape my brows) or a cold sore? ...(A lot of salons I know just use barbicide and not an autoclave like they're supposed to)

Haven't you answered your own question? How do you think you caught impetigo if the therapist hadn't worked on somebody who was carrying it? What makes you think that a therapist who would use thread/tweezers on impetigo, then not sanitize properly, wouldn't do the same with wax? Everything you said suggests that the therapist would wax over impetigo and double dip...

I sound hysterical? Why? Because I am clean and want only a clean and sanitary environment?

My point remains: any person who is willing to go to an unsanitary salon shouldn't have a problem to use the towels used by another guest in a hotel room. It is exactly the same thing, i.e., items rubbed on the body, including in intimate parts, then used on another person...People get their bums waxed in these places. You fancy the idea of that spatula going back in the pot and for you to to be the next person in?

Ooh this thread is making me question my choice of salon! I've always been really happy with brazilia as they are the one place that always gets recommended by everyone and I personally use them every six weeks without an issue, but reading about double dipping and actually realising how nasty it is im not so sure! I've never really taken note of it before when I'm there

Tasden wrote: »
    Ooh this thread is making me question my choice of salon! I've always been really happy with brazilia as they are the one place that always gets recommended by everyone and I personally use them every six weeks without an issue, but reading about double dipping and actually realising how nasty it is im not so sure! I've never really taken note of it before when I'm there
    I am agreeing what you're saying, even if I do find your posts a tad aggressive. It is gross - but the wax is heated up so high that I'm sure it would destroy a lot of bacteria (however it is still nasty). And tbh I think if you're going to get annoyed about double dipping then you need to go to the highest manager of the salon, because although you're paying a lot of money for your wax, if you were flying through spatulas (one for each dip, if you're doing hot wax you do this in small patches) your manager would definitely be pulling you up on supplies. It doesn't make it right, but that's how it is.

Now, as for the likes of brazilia, a reputable salon, who apparently double dip - I would be confident that they don't double dip a spatula that would be that near your bum, or near any other very intimate area, but would probably double dip on the front part where it's just skin and no secretions/body fluids or whatever. They also wouldn't wax over skin that looked like it had an infection, (If you saw impetigo you'd know it's noticeable) or they wouldn't wax if someone had a cold sore. Although you're probably getting gross dead skin cells.

Then you will get salons who do not care, but you can tell those salons by the hygiene everywhere. The salon I caught impetigo from, the owner coughed over me, and left the tweezers on the trolley and not in barbicide. I should have noticed these things before I had my treatment but there ya go, hindsights a great thing.

I've worked in salons (and do not preform intimate waxing as I hate doing it) where I've got given out to for using whole cotton discs during treatment, and for "wasting" supplies. It isn't right, but it's pretty much in every salon.

I worked in one particular gross salon who used to do laser treatments who would never clean their laser machines, and the clients had to rely on therapists just wiping the disc with a bit of surgical spirits, and it could have been on someone's bum before hand and then on someone's lip. Just having been cleaned with a bit of surgical spirits.

What about hair dressers using the same hairbrush on clients just putting it into a UV cabinet?

It's definitely an industry that should be regulated but it sadly isn't. At least if there was some regulations then the therapist isn't going to be getting in trouble for using too many strips or spatulas, or cotton discs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Just reading through some of the posts,i found this helpful and relevant,and i will definately be looking out to see if the girls sterlise their tools before use..

I used to have bad thread veins and never once spotted if the laser tool they used was cleaned or not i will never know :(

However nothing bad happend to me so im guessing they cleaned it before i came into the room,then again maybe not and i was lucky..

I will be getting a few beauty treatments done this year in jaunuary and will be keeping a close eye on how things are run..

Now, as for the likes of brazilia, a reputable salon, who apparently double dip - I would be confident that they don't double dip a spatula that would be that near your bum...

What makes you confident about that? The same hygiene standards apply; double dipping is double dipping...if any therapist is dirty enough to do it anywhere on the body they will do it near your bum too. At what point do you think a therapist will think "this is too near the bum now I will change the manky spatula with which I have thus far double dipped?" The reason? They don't know or don't care about hygiene. If they did they would never double dip in the first place...

As far going to the top manager of the salon...if they were doing their job properly therapists would know not to ever double dip in the first place. I can only assume that managers are fully aware of double dipping and are too ignorant of the consequences or just don't care...

I am agreeing what you're saying, even if I do find your posts a tad aggressive. It is gross - but the wax is heated up so high that I'm sure it would destroy a lot of bacteria (however it is still nasty). And tbh I think if you're going to get annoyed about double dipping then you need to go to the highest manager of the salon, because although you're paying a lot of money for your wax, if you were flying through spatulas (one for each dip, if you're doing hot wax you do this in small patches) your manager would definitely be pulling you up on supplies. It doesn't make it right, but that's how it is.

Aggressive? I'm assuming you're replying to someone else in the thread? I only just came in!

Tasden wrote: »
    Aggressive? I'm assuming you're replying to someone else in the thread? I only just came in!

Yes sorry tasden I meant to quote the aggressive post above you not yours, I'm sorry.

To the poster who says the managers don't care. Do you think the therapist cares if she uses 40 spatulas in one treatment? No cause she isn't the one paying for them. But if she's going looking for another box of spatulas after using one box on two clients, you can bet her manager is going to come down heavy, asking why is there so many spatulas being used.

It isn't (all the time at least) the therapist being filthy. It's the same with wax strips you're supposed to use 3 wax strips per half leg (2 legs) that's been the rule of thumb in most salons I've been in. Any more means you're using too much wax and too many strips.

So by all means complain to the manager, and have them make sure the no double dipping rule is standard practice in their salon. That would be great for clients and therapists. It doesn't take an awful big effort to change a spatula, so one would wonder why most salons aren't inclined to not double dip?

If you're paying 60 euro for a wax, you should be entitled to an entire box of spatulas if that's what it takes. But no point in saying it to the therapist, you need to say it to the manager .

• Advertisement

No need at all to apologise! Just wanted to clarify

Yes sorry tasden I meant to quote the aggressive post above you not yours, I'm sorry.

To the poster who says the managers don't care. Do you think the therapist cares if she uses 40 spatulas in one treatment? No cause she isn't the one paying for them. But if she's going looking for another box of spatulas after using one box on two clients, you can bet her manager is going to come down heavy, asking why is there so many spatulas being used.

It isn't (all the time at least) the therapist being filthy. It's the same with wax strips you're supposed to use 3 wax strips per half leg (2 legs) that's been the rule of thumb in most salons I've been in. Any more means you're using too much wax and too many strips.

So by all means complain to the manager, and have them make sure the no double dipping rule is standard practice in their salon. That would be great for clients and therapists. It doesn't take an awful big effort to change a spatula, so one would wonder why most salons aren't inclined to not double dip?

If you're paying 60 euro for a wax, you should be entitled to an entire box of spatulas if that's what it takes. But no point in saying it to the therapist, you need to say it to the manager .

For €60 I shouldn't have to do any complaining/fighting with any manager! They just won't get my repeat business and I will tell everybody I know about their filthy habits and also report them to health and safety. It's not my job to educate managers of beauty salons. Besides, if the therapists are double dipping out of fear of their manager do you think the manager is going to care if I complain? Simply put: such a salon with such a manager is a filthy place and shouldn't be patronized.

I would also like to point out that my posts are factual and not aggressive so please do not single me out for name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

I used to go Brazilia but stopped when the therapist i had been seeing left (who didn't double dip). I noticed that the new person I was dealing with did double dip and queried their policy - as above, they do double dip.

I told them I was unhappy with this and moved to Urbana on Wicklow street, who are lovely to deal with and do not double dip!

marquise wrote: »
    ... to Urbana on Wicklow street, who are lovely to deal with and do not double dip!

Good to know. Is that as a matter of policy or just the therapist you see?

For €60 I shouldn't have to do any complaining/fighting with any manager! They just won't get my repeat business and I will tell everybody I know about their filthy habits and also report them to health and safety. It's not my job to educate managers of beauty salons. Besides, if the therapists are double dipping out of fear of their manager do you think the manager is going to care if I complain? Simply put: such a salon with such a manager is a filthy place and shouldn't be patronized.

I would also like to point out that my posts are factual and not aggressive so please do not single me out for name calling.
    Jesus, there's no need to take it out on me, I don't care where you get waxed lol. Dial it back a bit.

You shouldnt have to say it to any salon not to double dip, every therapist knows not to do it. But even in beauty college with the exception of exams, you are not allowed to use a clean spatula for every single application. If enough people complain to the managers, they'll see if they don't stop double dipping then they lose business. But obviously it's not all that easy to find a salon that doesn't double dip otherwise you wouldn't be posting a thread looking for one they should be ten a penny.

And at the moment health and safety have no authority over a beauty salon (which is scandalous) and upon my contacting health and safety they told me that it's not regulated and if I wanted to get at the salon, then I would need to take a claim against them.

marquise wrote: »
    I used to go Brazilia but stopped when the therapist i had been seeing left (who didn't double dip). I noticed that the new person I was dealing with did double dip and queried their policy - as above, they do double dip.

I told them I was unhappy with this and moved to Urbana on Wicklow street, who are lovely to deal with and do not double dip!

Was it karolina by any chance? Cause I had her before she left which would explain why I would never have noticed the double dipping.

Jesus, there's no need to take it out on me, I don't care where you get waxed lol. Dial it back a bit.

Er, you called me aggressive twice without supporting that view, and I asked you not to do that. I want only to have civil conversation without personal insults or name calling.

There doesn't seem much else to say really. As you point out; folks are trained to be dirty and to potentially spread disease and infections. Health and safety seem not to care. All that customers can do is to foot with their feet and not patronize the dirty places, which would seem to be most of them.

But yes, I asked here for tips on where to go where it was certain that no double dipping took place. That is because I will only go to such a place. I'm not interested in educating staff/managers about hygiene when I'm handing over good money, nor do I want to argue with dirty therapists. I just don't want to go to those places.

Perhaps we should start a thread entitled "salons which double dip" so that folks can know to avoid them?

I'll be calling Urbana to sound them out about their double dipping policy and if I like what I hear I'll give them a go.

Now, as for the likes of brazilia, a reputable salon, who apparently double dip - I would be confident that they don't double dip a spatula that would be that near your bum, or near any other very intimate area, but would probably double dip on the front part where it's just skin and no secretions/body fluids or whatever.

They do. I used to use brazilia, the therapist I used didn't double dip. She left.

I get a Brazilian wax, you can't get much more intimate than that, other therapists double dipped on all areas.

They do. I used to use brazilia, the therapist I used didn't double dip. She left.

I get a Brazilian wax, you can't get much more intimate than that, other therapists double dipped on all areas.

I wonder...even if your therapist doesn't double dip is it possible that other therapists use the same wax and have double dipped in it before your therapist used it?

• Advertisement

I wonder...even if your therapist doesn't double dip is it possible that other therapists use the same wax and have double dipped in it before your therapist used it?

Yeh absolutely. I was blissfully unaware of that though!!

Considering different therapists use the same room/wax pot then id bet yes there's still probably gross stuff getting onto a clean spatula

How long does it take to heat the wax? Would it work if you were to request a fresh batch of wax that is opened and placed in a clean pot in front of you?

How long does it take to heat the wax? Would it work if you were to request a fresh batch of wax that is opened and placed in a clean pot in front of you?

Mm I don't think so, hot wax would come in a chamber (Lycon wax would come in its own pot like so it'd be the same principle) which means that not every salon has spare chambers as when hot wax is running low just drop more into it and heat it up. It'd take about 15/20 minutes to heat it up and they would charge you for that time I guess.

What you could do is either buy your own chamber and wax and ask them to put it in their pot and use that, or you could get your own wax pot and wax at home and have a mobile therapist come and just use your stuff so at least you know it is clean

I hadn't thought about this!

It's a shame about Brizillia, the therapist I've used in there didn't double dip so I assumed it was their policy.

I had been thinking in future I'll ask them not to double dip but that wouldn't make any difference because I don't really care about my skin cells getting in the wax it's everybody else's nastiness I should care about.

Also Lexi any therapist good or bad could wax somebody who is right at the start of an impetigo break out and not know it's there. The same for any diseases, cold sores etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Anywhere that uses Waxperts wax doesn't double, recently got a brazilian in Zinc in Kilmainham and my therapist made a point of telling me that she never double dips.

• Advertisement

Anywhere that uses Waxperts wax doesn't double.

Unfortunately have not found this to be true. A local salon uses waxperts and they do double dip.

I guess it really depends on the salon

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

Good to know. Is that as a matter of policy or just the therapist you see?

It's the policy there - I checked before I went.

Tasden, I don't remember to be honest - it's been a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Is Ranelagh a bit far out? There's a new place there, near the Luas stop, called Sugar and Spice that does sugar based waxing. I've only had legs & underarms done, but they are super hygienic. No spatula, and the 'ball' of sugar mix is disposed of after use.

And it is far less painful than regular waxing.

That said, I haven't had more intmate areas waxed, so I can't comment on the thorough-ness there. But I'd imagine they would be equally dedicated.

www.sugarandspicewax.ie

Speeds

Unfortunately have not found this to be true. A local salon uses waxperts and they do double dip.

I guess it really depends on the salon

I'd get in touch with the Salon in Dun Laoighre about that, they really don't appreciate salons that use their wax double dipping, it's like one of their golden rules.

I'd get in touch with the Salon in Dun Laoighre about that, they really don't appreciate salons that use their wax double dipping, it's like one of their golden rules.

Really? Will do. Didn't mean to sound like I was trying to contradict you, just a salon in my local town uses waxperts wax but have double dipped on me .

• Advertisement

Really? Will do. Didn't mean to sound like I was trying to contradict you, just a salon in my local town uses waxperts wax but have double dipped on me .

You didn't at all! I would just communicate with them quite a lot through blogging/twitter and they're really anti double dipping so I'm sure they'd like to be made aware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not true...if you look on the Waxperts Wax FB page stockists list, it lists the salons who stock it and there are only a handful who don't double dip.

I'm currently looking for a new salon, and definitely one that doesn't double dip (genuinely doesn't, rather than not double dipping on me but having double dipped on the previous three clients from the same pot) and it's easier said than done. I'm seriously saddened by the number of Waxperts wax stockists who do double dip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

What about Wax in the City? You get your own separate pot of wax so double dipping doesn't matter or would that still be a problem?

Advertisement