Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding remote access/dialling and CCTV to legacy alarm - options?

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

I have a HKC alarm that was installed in 2006. It does the basic job fine but I would like to add self-monitoring functionality and would also like to explore CCTV options.

I recall at the time in 2006 there was a DIY home automation system that looked like it did much of what I wanted - i.e. an alarm plus home automation controller, with remote access over IP, but it seemed fiddly so I didn't go with it at the time. Before contacting anyone for quotes, I wanted to get a feel for what are the options out there today, are there such systems now available that work well?

I would be open to replacing the alarm system if necessary, ideally not involving rewiring though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have a HKC alarm that was installed in 2006. It does the basic job fine but I would like to add self-monitoring functionality and would also like to explore CCTV options.

I recall at the time in 2006 there was a DIY home automation system that looked like it did much of what I wanted - i.e. an alarm plus home automation controller, with remote access over IP, but it seemed fiddly so I didn't go with it at the time. Before contacting anyone for quotes, I wanted to get a feel for what are the options out there today, are there such systems now available that work well?

I would be open to replacing the alarm system if necessary, ideally not involving rewiring though.

If you are looking to replace the system then the lightsys would incorporate all your wired devices and add other features you are looking for. Here is a link for you to have a look. Any questions let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

altor wrote: »
    If you are looking to replace the system then the lightsys would incorporate all your wired devices and add other features you are looking for. Here is a link for you to have a look. Any questions let us know.

Thanks, had a look and did a bit more browsing and that certainly looks like an interesting option. Almost seems like it'd be a shame though to install a system like that which looks powerful enough to do things like home automation (e.g. lights being switched on/off remotely or upon PIR detecting motion) but limiting it to security only. Wonder if there's a system that does both?

Is the video verification generally used for checking who is at the front door when they ring the bell?

Do like the look of the system and the ability to control remotely and also to add video cameras into the mix. But if I wasn't to go for cameras, not sure there'd be much over and above my current setup, other than dialler and remote control, that would justify the investment?

I know it's a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string kind of question, but for a 3-bed end of terraced house with 4 rooms & a hall downstairs, 3 beds and a bathroom upstairs, plus a wooden shed, what ballpark cost would you be looking for to A) include cameras and B) exclude cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks, had a look and did a bit more browsing and that certainly looks like an interesting option. Almost seems like it'd be a shame though to install a system like that which looks powerful enough to do things like home automation (e.g. lights being switched on/off remotely or upon PIR detecting motion) but limiting it to security only. Wonder if there's a system that does both?

Is the video verification generally used for checking who is at the front door when they ring the bell?

Do like the look of the system and the ability to control remotely and also to add video cameras into the mix. But if I wasn't to go for cameras, not sure there'd be much over and above my current setup, other than dialler and remote control, that would justify the investment?

I know it's a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string kind of question, but for a 3-bed end of terraced house with 4 rooms & a hall downstairs, 3 beds and a bathroom upstairs, plus a wooden shed, what ballpark cost would you be looking for to A) include cameras and B) exclude cameras?

For pricing you would need to contact local installers.
    Here is a link to the PSA website, if you were planing to have the IP cameras installed then make sure the installer is licensed to do so.
    This hybrid system has plug on modules so if all the bells and whistles don't suit you now they can be added at a later date.

Advertisement