Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimate for Website

Options
  • 15-06-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am thinking of starting an online business and I am trying to get a rough idea of how much the development of the website would cost. The website would be very dynamic with information constantly changing in real time and lots of user interaction. It would consist of 100+ pages and require a lot of code. Does anyone know a company that could give a FREE estimate on how much a site like this would cost to build. I appreciate that it would only be a ball park figure as it would be impossible to give an accurate cost without the specific details and functions of the site, but if I had a rough estimate I could decide if the site is even feasible. Thanks in advance for the replies..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Somebody has to put a lot of work into defining your requirements before they even come close to being able to give you an estimate.

If you don't want to pay for that work, that somebody is probably going to have to be you.

Search Google for 'preparing an RFP for a website' and you should get an idea of what you'll be expected to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmixer2104

Thanks Graham, I downloaded a couple of RFP's. At least I can put a bit of structure to the idea before I approach someone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

cmixer2104 wrote: »
    Thanks Graham, I downloaded a couple of RFP's. At least I can put a bit of structure to the idea before I approach someone.

You'll find that works in your favour on a multitude of levels. It will make you think through your own ideas in a more structured format and if you ever do get to the point where you sit down with developers for a discussion, they'll be more likely to take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

That's good advice from Graham. I know from personal experience, you really have to be very detailed and leave nothing open to interpretation. It will be frustrating and time consuming but will save a lot of money and confrontation. It will also enable you to attract more developers as the good ones will stay away from vague SLA s

Advertisement