Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody barking!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

littlebug wrote: »
    My dog (had her a month) gets really wound up and anxious outside even with people out with her. She is also an excape artist so outside by herself isn't an option just now either. I was taking her out on lead every so often to wee but she won't until we're well into our big walks. Somedays there could be 12 hours between big walks and she can still hold it until we've walked half a mile :confused:
    I do like to think she'll eventually be happy in the garden even if it's just when I'm out gardening or the kids out playing.. but accept that'll it'll take a while.

Teach her command words for toilet business, my dog won't do any toilet business on my property, she has to be taken on a lead outside the gate as she doesn't want to soil her territory, I don't see it as a problem at all though. Take her off your property at the same times every day, wait till she goes, give the command as she does and reward with a treat afterwards, then back inside. She'll get the idea if you persist with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'll work on that (as well as all the other things :P).

OP I think our situations are fairly similar except instead of barking non stop mine just gets so wound up she runs and runs and has jumped a 5 foot wall a couple of times :eek:
    Actually I'm seeing the fact that she won't wee in our garden as a good thing ie she's starting to see it as her territory and might be less likely to try to escape.
    When the weather permits I'm going to work on getting her a bit more relaxed out there. At the minute she's okish if it's dark and she's on lead!

OP what's your dog like when you're out with her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Pretty good actually. During the summer I was out reading in a deckchair a lot and he'd happily curl up underneath the shadow of it. He'd stay out as long as I was there.

But if I'm not there.....zero interest. He's just incredibly human-focused. Almost to the exclusion of all other interests. We speculate he was kept outdoors all the time in his previous life and now not only doesn't appreciate the outdoors, but doesn't know what he's supposed to do out there. But that's only guessing - we have no idea.

I'm thinking about getting a doggy friend for him, but OH says not till we're at least a year with this one, as we're still trying to figure out these problems. And I get that. That may help in giving him other interests......or maybe not - I dunno! That's a question for next year anyway!

I am trying to teach him to wee on command. I clap my hands every time he squats. But he hasn't copped yet. Early days! He's learnt other commands so hopefully.....

Listen guys, I can't thank ye enough. I'm much less worried about him hating outside. Seems it's more normal than I thought and that's a great comfort!

I'll keep with the intensive wee training and then once that's sorted, I'll only bring him out to pee, since that's all he seems to want.

Thanks a million, brilliant to get feedback!

Advertisement