Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Atalia 100 acres update [henceforth "bikoland", home to Redhairedville]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 noelogara

try googling bog cotton and galway and see how that worked out

well I'm ready to help you lads to pave the lake as soon as you can get over the bog cotton blues. I'd fill that lake in three months taking the stone from about a mile away with a fleet of now idle lorries and a few diggers and loaders. Galway wouldnt know itself and by the way I dont know about the crab population but theres no bog cotton on lough Atalia so fingers crossed if you can get over the begrudgers. the crabs would move on, sideways like the planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Rev up and flip off back to Athlone with those crazy notions!

Is it me or are people getting far too passionate and argumentative over something that they can't possibly have any say in realistically?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm thinking that it's more the craic of winding up noelogara than any real passion.

BTW, the otteress says "no".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

noelogara wrote: »
    well I'm ready to help you lads to pave the lake as soon as you can get over the bog cotton blues. I'd fill that lake in three months taking the stone from about a mile away with a fleet of now idle lorries and a few diggers and loaders. Galway wouldnt know itself and by the way I dont know about the crab population but theres no bog cotton on lough Atalia so fingers crossed if you can get over the begrudgers. the crabs would move on, sideways like the planners.

We are grand we will pass on the kind offer.

• Advertisement

We are grand we will pass on the kind offer.

if you see a few fencing posts going up in the lake you'll know that a few enterprising Galway men and women are already staking their claims on a bit of prime real estate. Once they have it for the statutory period then its theirs to pave over. Like I said its a free for all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

if you see a few fencing posts going up in the lake you'll know that a few enterprising Galway men and women are already staking their claims on a bit of prime real estate. Once they have it for the statutory period then its theirs to pave over. Like I said its a free for all.

Do you actually believe your nonsense or are you just here for the lols? Squatters rights over the sea now, I've heard it all... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do you actually believe your nonsense or are you just here for the lols? Squatters rights over the sea now, I've heard it all... :D

Seems like a Freeman/WUM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

its not really the sea Zippy, its a shallow basin of water connected to the sea and nobody owns it right now. Its a blot on the landscape of Galway. A stake jumper could get access to it from the Dublin road end and could plant a line of boulders to fence off his claim and then he would own a very valuable piece of real estate to be developed as he wished. Nobody would or could stop him filling it in to make land of it. Its a golden oppertunity if one did own a little bit on the edge of it with access. the council owns most of the perimeter swampland on the Renmore side and the city end of it for years but they are without imagination and the councillors would be looking at the prospect of grabbing it for themselves anyway. They should have filled the lake in many years ago if they were any good at all. Look at the mess they did on Eyre Square a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How to you prove animus possidendi when Poseidon exerts acts of ownership on a daily basis and enjoys sovereign immunity?

its not really the sea Zippy, its a shallow basin of water connected to the sea and nobody owns it right now. Its a blot on the landscape of Galway. A stake jumper could get access to it from the Dublin road end and could plant a line of boulders to fence off his claim and then he would own a very valuable piece of real estate to be developed as he wished. Nobody would or could stop him filling it in to make land of it. Its a golden oppertunity if one did own a little bit on the edge of it with access. the council owns most of the perimeter swampland on the Renmore side and the city end of it for years but they are without imagination and the councillors would be looking at the prospect of grabbing it for themselves anyway. They should have filled the lake in many years ago if they were any good at all. Look at the mess they did on Eyre Square a few years ago.

It's not the sea, it's just a piece of land permanently covered in seawater? This gets better and better...

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's not the sea, it's just a piece of land permanently covered in seawater? This gets better and better...

Maybe the water tastes a little salty, the level goes up and down daily and it's connected to the bay but you can't be calling it seawater.

Robbo wrote: »
    How to you prove animus possidendi when Poseidon exerts acts of ownership on a daily basis and enjoys sovereign immunity?

Why does this remind me of the often told Louisiana Title story? Found a version online just now.

Dear Sirs:

I traced your deed back to 1803. Here it is complete. As you probably know, Louisiana was purchased from France in 1803. France had acquired Louisiana from the Spanish as the result of a successful war against the Spaniards. The Spanish acquired Louisiana as the result of the explorations of an Italian named Columbus. Columbus was financially backed by Isabella and Ferdinand. Isabella and Ferdinand were given permission for Columbus' expedition by the Pope. The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. Christ is the Son of God. God made Louisiana.

take a look at lough Atalia on the Google map to get a bit of perspective.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2670778,-9.0434476,3080m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is a prime location alright.

I claim it all for me, and I shall name it "bikoland". Thread title update to reflect my domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

biko wrote: »

I claim it all for me, and I shall name it "bikoland". Thread title update to reflect my domain.

How very dare you sir! What about my capital city Redhairedville which rests upon those murky banks?

In light of the excellent proposal put forward in these threads, I'd like to take this opportunity to launch a rival development. No low rent car parks or cheap tile showrooms for me, I'm going for the top of the market.

Knocknagoneen is just sitting there doing nothing; an unused pile chock full of valuable filler material. I propose through the use of carefully directed dynamiting that it's all blown inland to fill in Rusheen Bay.

Rusheen Bay Demesne will be an exclusive development of 140 luxury apartments with panoramic views built in a neo-medieval pastiche. 300 underground car parking spaces will be provided in and commercial interests taken care of with an overpriced Spar and another unit that accommodates whatever retail fad that will fail within 6 months.

If there's one thing history has taught me it's that castles should be built on sand and my development will be top notch. Turrets to defend against windsurfers, a moat with drawbridge should stand-up paddleboarders come knocking and full road connection to County Clare through a floating pontoon causeway (no need for planning because it's movable in a high wind).

Launching early 2015, reclaimed by climate change 2040. Kevin McCloud to painfully document everything for Grand Designs.

The ironic thing is if there wasn't such a cracked approach being suggested by the main "developer" on this thread, it's not actually that outlandish an idea in a Galway context.

Much of Woodquay is reclaimed, hence the name. There was a quay almost as far in as McSwiggans at one stage.

Huge tracts of land were reclaimed in Salthill along Grattan Road relatively recently and consider that the house Nile Lodge was before that, on the sea front.

Sea Road (or Raleigh Row - can't remember which) is in Irish Bóthar na Sliogáin, named for the seashells that were there.

A significant proportion of the new business park at the Docks, including the site of the large oil tanks is reclaimed, within the last few years. That's only a stone's throw from Lough Atalia.

There's a right and a wrong way of going about these things though...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bad luck - I've already got a claim on some bits of it for the Inner Ring Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No probs, I'm sure we can come to some mutual understanding. It is a lot of free land after all :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No probs, I'm sure we can come to some mutual understanding. It is a lot of free land after all :)
    No such thing. Have you not seen The Field?

Actually, it would be ideal for a new stadium for Connacht rugby. Can we come to some arrangement?

Bad luck - I've already got a claim on some bits of it for the Inner Ring Road.

you have to fly out of the hive and stake your claim. Mark it out with a fence and post up your real name for all to see. Its there for the taking and may the best man win.
    those little gardens along the road probably have their eye on a chunk of it anyway. thats why they registered them but last time I passed I didnt see any stakes in the water so they only have the small greens. the Council own the narrow strip along the lake road after the gardens since 1953 so that tells you how useless they are but maybe they cut the grass.
    In south of the county and in county Clare lots of farmers have claimed right out to the low tide marks including Trump's golf course and the cliffs of Moher. Lough Atalia is not affected by waves. its just a depression in the side of the city easily filled in this day and age. If it was in any other city in Europe it would have been filled long since. It must be something to do with your councillors and planners. their dead hand is on Ireland since 1963 planning laws were signed by Dev who was in the park at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

you have to fly out of the hive and stake your claim. Mark it out with a fence and post up your real name for all to see. Its there for the taking and may the best man win.
    those little gardens along the road probably have their eye on a chunk of it anyway. thats why they registered them but last time I passed I didnt see any stakes in the water so they only have the small greens. the Council own the narrow strip along the lake road after the gardens since 1953 so that tells you how useless they are but maybe they cut the grass.
    In south of the county and in county Clare lots of farmers have claimed right out to the low tide marks including Trump's golf course and the cliffs of Moher. Lough Atalia is not affected by waves. its just a depression in the side of the city easily filled in this day and age. If it was in any other city in Europe it would have been filled long since. It must be something to do with your councillors and planners. their dead hand is on Ireland since 1963 planning laws were signed by Dev who was in the park at the time.

Better get the padlocks out again Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

All pleasant joshing and joking aside I'll fight any man to the death for the deeds to the advertising float on Lough Atalia.

All pleasant joshing and joking aside I'll fight any man to the death for the deeds to the advertising float on Lough Atalia.

you might be on to something there DB, an advertising float or a barge on the pool would be a way of staking your claim to it. Because nobody owns the lough nobody could stop you and you dont need planning permits.

Did you read my first post? It explains how to make land from your squat before a moderator locked it shut. Why that should happen tells you a lot about Ireland today.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057515693

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Noel and myself are now the proud owners of Galway City. First plan of action is to ban buses and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

First plan of action is to ban buses and cyclists.

and double yellow lines...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Noel and myself are now the proud owners of Galway City. First plan of action is to ban buses and cyclists.

I for one welcome our new overlords.

Advertisement