Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMC Galactic Screen

Options
  • 16-11-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Went to see the new James Bond film over the weekend and see that IMC are now charging premium price for screen 1, was told new seating and new dolbly surround sound was installed.

at 12 euro for full price they are asking a lot. Obviously if you with 3 or student it is less.

seats are definitely comfy but serious flaw in the stadium style seating. You really need to make sure no one sits in front of you otherwise you really cannot see the screen. This in my mind it is a huge problem and would wait for films to be in the lower screen to have some sort of an enjoyable viewing experience. The obvious the

sound didn't really notice the difference all that much, mainly heard the wind from the outside. Rip off republic continues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Laviski wrote: »
    Obviously if you with 3 or student it is less.

They have added a €2 surcharge on 3Plus tickets too. According to 3Plus terms for their 2 tickets for €10 there can be a surcharge added for 3D films.

I argued it with them as they're charging it for 2D "Galactic" viewings and Three's response was to hack a line into their T&Cs to cover "Galactic" screens now too! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Is it obvious looking online or on the board outside that it's a separate screen and costs more?

I'd be annoyed if I went for a movie and had to pay that much, I know with the eye it's very clear it's the luxury screen when looking at times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Is it obvious looking online or on the board outside that it's a separate screen and costs more?

I'd be annoying if I went for a movie and had to pay that much, I know with the eye it's very clear it's the luxury screen when looking at times etc.

difference those with screen 1 at IMC vs Eye is that it is a lot bigger. Now my gripe is that if you go to a show there and it is semiful/full you are not going to be able to see the movie as there will be heads in the way. Very bad design. It was not the case before. Price increase is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Laviski wrote: »
    difference those with screen 1 at IMC vs Eye is that it is a lot bigger. Now my gripe is that if you go to a show there and it is semiful/full you are not going to be able to see the movie as there will be heads in the way. Very bad design. It was not the case before. Price increase is a different matter.

Did you complain in the cinema or just start a thread here after? If so,what was their response?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

While we're griping, it really grinds my gears to pay so much and then be a captive audience for 20 minutes for tv adverts.

I'm a new 3 customer and didn't know about the discount. Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

It's just a scam really to get more money out of people. Here's some new leather seats and we've turned the volume up from 'too loud' to 'permanent hearing damage level' now give us an extra 2 or 3 quid. Also the slope on the floor is 2 degrees so if anyone who's over 5ft 8 sits in front of you the bottom of the screen isn't visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

It feels like they want to get Dublin prices for tickets but need an excuse to charge that much. The luxury screen in the Eye feels a bit different but I don't find that much of a difference compared to the other screens in IMC. It's very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Saw a film on the 'Galactic' screen the other day and did not notice any difference in visual or sound compared to what was there previous. Did however noticed the much lower gradient which I would imagine to be a serious pain for shorter men/a lot of woman if someone tall sits in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was in it tonight, can't say it was much difference to any other screen in there.
    They charged 2.50 extra for the "luxury".

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Watched Bond in there and was frozen out of it.Pure scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The thing that pisses me off about the "luxury concept" is I suspect nobody bothers checking which times/screens are luxury and which aren't. Because you've already made plans and are at the theatre before you find out they know you're not likely to storm off and throw away your night over €5. It's basically a lottery to see if you get the luxury penalty charge or not. It's a scam we're too lazy to avoid.

Have any of ye complained in there, or are ye holding fire for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Have any of ye complained in there, or are ye holding fire for here?

I find that complaining to a Regular Joe who works in a place, about the price charged for something sold or service offered in said place, has usually precisely zero effect towards a positive outcome.

At least online you can feel a solidarity in sharing your gripe with others. Sure, isn't that what the internet is for a lot of the time?

I've been to the screen a few times. It is a bit of a rip off. As far as I can tell the screen and sound set-up is exactly the same as it was before. The seats are just a bit different: larger but more molded plastic feeling. I don't know if I would necessarily say it's an improvement. They could definitely do something with the heating in that screen though: it's always freezing in there.

I did actually say something about the whole farcical situation to someone I know who works there. It went a bit like this -

"Any craic?... What's the story with the fancy seats?"
    "Yeah, it's a new thing they're doing with the screen... It's a bit dearer now as well"
    "Oh yeah? Jesus that's a bit of a rip-off isn't it?"
    "Yeah... Any news with you?"

I'd have to say that the outcome of this conversation was, as of yet, inconclusive, but, in time, if things do change for the better I think I will feel a certain degree of self-satisfaction for having played an important, albeit small, role in fighting the good fight against the rip-off merchants who blight our lives.

Arghus wrote: »
    I find that complaining to a Regular Joe who works in a place, about the price charged for something sold or service offered in said place, has usually precisely zero effect towards a positive outcome.

At least online you can feel a solidarity in sharing your gripe with others. Sure, isn't that what the internet is for a lot of the time?

I've been to the screen a few times. It is a bit of a rip off. As far as I can tell the screen and sound set-up is exactly the same as it was before. The seats are just a bit different: larger but more molded plastic feeling. I don't know if I would necessarily say it's an improvement. They could definitely do something with the heating in that screen though: it's always freezing in there.

I did actually say something about the whole farcical situation to someone I know who works there. It went a bit like this -

"Any craic?... What's the story with the fancy seats?"
    "Yeah, it's a new thing they're doing with the screen... It's a bit dearer now as well"
    "Oh yeah? Jesus that's a bit of a rip-off isn't it?"
    "Yeah... Any news with you?"

I'd have to say that the outcome of this conversation was, as of yet, inconclusive, but, in time, if things do change for the better I think I will feel a certain degree of self-satisfaction for having played an important, albeit small, role in fighting the good fight against the rip-off merchants who blight our lives.
    You could just ask for the manager, pass your complaint on, it will be more effective than here one would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

i did actually speak to the supervisor about the issue with the seats.
    He said will pass on to manager.

in all honestly expect 0 outcome of this. its not exactly going to rip up the seats and put back in the old. At best they could try to adjust the height of the seats to ensure even when someone is sitting in front their head will not obstruct the viewing area of the screen. This would possibly involve taking some rows out which i would seriously doubt would happen.

in any case i will vote with my wallet and any new screens go to the Eye instead, a bit further away but if i'm going to see anything in the cinema i do not want the view to be obstructed. If anything will double check to see what screen it is on at the very least before i make my choice.

galactic screen ain't getting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Saw a film on the 'Galactic' screen the other day and did not notice any difference in visual or sound compared to what was there previous. Did however noticed the much lower gradient which I would imagine to be a serious pain for shorter men/a lot of woman if someone tall sits in front of them.

I'm almost 6ft 3" and when someone sits in front of me, I cant see a good portion of the screen. I missed a lot of the subtitles during 'The Revenant' last night , and judging by the way other folk were bobby their heads around between the seats, I reckon they did too....

What an oversight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Does anyone know if there is a surcharge for the Galactic screen when you have a Meteor Extras free cinema ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

They charge €2 to use the free pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yep as motley said it was €2 to go to the Galactic screen with the Meteor Extras cinema ticket. I'm okay with that.

I'd echo everyone else's comments about the Galactic screen though! :eek:

The seating is way too shallow. I saw two couples move seats as soon as the trailers started because their view was hindered by the people in front of them. Also, I was in an aisle seat and the blue ceiling lights were far too bright. Anyone coming in late or walking out from the far side to the exit door completely blocked the screen. And for me, the seats weren't that comfortable. But sure other than that it was grand :pac:

I've been forced to use it twice because the film I wanted to see was shown in the Galactic.
    Not worth the extra money in my opinion. It's not particularly luxurious nor better image/sound than any of the other theatres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Dessiedude

Ya IMC seem to be ripping people off. I used the FREE meteor cinema ticket and had to pay an extra €2 for the Galactic cinema. I wouldn't mind but didn't notice any difference I'm slightly hard of hearing in one ear and still cudnt hear some of the movie. My wife's ticket was €12 which is a total rip off. €12.50 for popcorn drinks. Wait for it final Total was €26.50 with a free cinema ticket. Free my ass there just scamming people to get them in and claw the money back!!

They must have really pissed you off to use your only post since 2012 to revive this thread :D

Only your own ticket was free.
    Your wife's was 12.50 and you splashed out on popcorn and drinks voluntarily.
    The only thing you can be angry about, in my opinion, is the extra 2 euro for the Galactic screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dessiedude

biko wrote: »
    They must have really pissed you off to use your only post since 2012 to revive this thread.

Yep exactly I'm not a big blogger normally but when your feel ripped why not. Would turn me off IMC. Was only 10 people in the screen and still missed some the words thought it was meant to be the best quality?

As you can see from older comments it's not worth it. The screen and sound isn't better than any other.
    If I had a choice I would rather go to a normal screen and keep my 2 euro.

Advertisement