Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIDL in Knocknacarra?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

There was a piece in the Sentinel last week or the previous week. It's the site off the roundabout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is that greenfield site zoned for shops????

Aldi failed to get permission near B&Q 2 years back ...in a zoned area.

Aldi secured planning on that site beside Monkey Business

Yeah but it was overturned at An Bord Pleanála. What is the zoning on that Ballymoneen site does anyone know??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is that greenfield site zoned for shops????

I believe it is zoned commercial.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yeah but it was overturned at An Bord Pleanála. What is the zoning on that Ballymoneen site does anyone know??

Incorrect. The Board approved it.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Incorrect. The Board approved it.

Begod they did, I assumed it had failed to pass the Bord Pleanála. What happened since...that was over 2 years ago.

Last I heard, there was a contractual delay with Touchstone, who were to operate the primary healthcare centre.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Last I heard, there was a contractual delay with Touchstone, who were to operate the primary healthcare centre.

Not surprised, James O'Reilly ignored the development on his Primary Care 'priority' list too.

http://www.thejournal.ie/stimulus-plan-20-primary-care-facilities-35-towns-524152-Jul2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwaystar

The planning notice for this has been put up. It's on the Ballymoneen Rd, near the roundabout opposite Portacarron.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mannix1888

Any news on a Tesco for the westside of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Badly needed to shake things up if true

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

There's a photo of what it will look like here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/endacunningham/status/259661900164509696

A5qBH1mCMAAuhVY.jpg

The problem with the application, file 12268, is where the entrance is. Anyone who drives from the Western Distributor Blake roundabout down Ballymoneen knows this is a steep hill with entrances to many houses and estates. We already have a problem with residents speeding down the hill making it difficult to exit your property and turn on to the Ballymoneen Rd. I think it will create a danger to introduce more traffic to Ballymoneen Rd. If the entrance was on the Western Distributor Rd it wouldn't be a problem as it is a larger road, flat, relatively quiet, and could better handle the traffic.

The problem is the planning muppets don't like entrances to commercial zones on what they consider a main artery. This instead leads us to traffic bottlenecks on small ancillary roads (Aldi Westside being a great example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

newkie wrote: »
    Yes, I heard it from a friend of a friend: Lidl is contemplating the site adjacent to the Western Distributor and Ballymoneen Roads.

https://maps.google.ie/maps/myplaces?ll=53.266766,-9.118652&spn=0.004691,0.009452&ctz=-60&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A

I wouldn't surprise me if they possibly made an enquiry, as they probably make dozens of enquiries about potential sites.

Anyone hear anything?

i gather the natives are protesting as they believe it lowers the tone of the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i gather the natives are protesting as they believe it lowers the tone of the place

Is that possible?

Someone called in Knocknatallagh in another thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Perish the thought :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwaystar

There is a public meeting planned for Wednesday, 9PM at Knocknacarra Primary School.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Any news no if this is going ahead? It's been a while since I or my neighbours have heard anything about it.

• Advertisement

The link to the application just says pending further information.

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=12268

I'll inquire with my neighbour who heads the resident's association. She usually knows these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Seems idiotic to me to plonk such a development at that location when there is already a commercial cluster at Dunnes/B&Q site. Off course I'm speaking from an aesthetic/environmental perspective which I suppose isn't top of planners priorities.
    In saying that though I'll be glad to see it coming to the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Could they not fill in that fecking eyesore unintentional reservoir beside Dunnes first and then put it there if necessary?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Could they not fill in that fecking eyesore unintentional reservoir beside Dunnes first and then put it there if necessary?
    I doubt Dunnes Stores would agree to that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

amiable wrote: »
    I doubt Dunnes Stores would agree to that
    Do Dunnes own it, or the developers of the whole site?
    Either way, the council should force them to either fill it in or sell it.
    It's been there for what, 5 years now?

I don't think they own it but I'd imagine they'd have a big say though in what happens there. I'm speculating of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Thanks newkie. I'm only down the road from the site and with it and proposed school the traffic would increase and the cars already speed down the road so its a bit of a concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

No, Dunnes don't own it. A private Dublin-based developer owns it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Dunnes hole has a thread here with info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭jkforde

noticed that the site notice on the ballymoneen road wall is gone if this means anything.. suppose should expect the yellow notice up soon if they submit any significant changes to the original plans

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

the planning file - http://gis.galwaycity.ie/PlanEnqLite/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=26a-12268 - shows no due date or decision, wonder what's the story with it.

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

jkforde wrote: »
    the planning file - http://gis.galwaycity.ie/PlanEnqLite/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=26a-12268 - shows no due date or decision, wonder what's the story with it.

The formatting is a bit crap, but the status is FURTHER INFORMATION and none has been submitted so far, so it looks as if it's with the applicant to decide what they want to do.

Got a notice in the post today from the council stating that 'further information' has been received.

Here is the link to the application (notice the further information button): http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=12268

All I can see is there is now a decision date of 24/9.

Is anyone able to discern more?

The planning permission has been posted at the site.
    http://i.imgur.com/or19GDj.jpg

Of particular significance:
    The further information submitted includes the relocation of the proposed vehicular access from the Ballymoneen Road to the Western Distributor Road / Cappagh Road, an increase in the planning application boundary to 0.77 hectares, an increase in the proposed gross floor space to 1,894 sqm, repositioning of the building and other and/or associated modifications.

It would have been a terrible mess having a busy downhill entrance near a roundabout and adjacent to the entrance of an estate and several residential properties. With the traffic issue resolved I'm fully in favour of having a fresh bakery and offy nearby!

Looks like the decision date got bumped a bit.

Decision Due Date: 06/10/2013

• Advertisement

Just thought to check this. The decision date is still 6/10/13 but decision type is still 'Not yet decided'.

I got a letter in the post today stating that a response for the Clarification of Further Information had been filled.

The response was submitted on 3/2/14. It names architects, traffic and transportation consultants, landscapers, noise impact assessment, etc used in their response and appears to addresses each request for info point by point.

So it looks like things are proceeding and a new newspaper and site notices are to be published.

The Decision Type is still Not Yet Decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

http://www.thejournal.ie/lidl-announces-50-jobs-in-new-stores-1318033-Feb2014/

Is the Galway store Lidl are referring to the one being discussed for Ballymoneen Road? They don't make it clear in the article - wonder how long that will take?

Delicia wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/lidl-announces-50-jobs-in-new-stores-1318033-Feb2014/

Is the Galway store Lidl are referring to the one being discussed for Ballymoneen Road? They don't make it clear in the article - wonder how long that will take?

the article specifcally mentions Doughiska so I don't think so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It says Doughiska.

edit: Never mind. jkforde beat me to it.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/three-new-lidl-stores-in-cork-galway-donegal-622795.html

So sorry you both couldn't jump down my throat at once. In fairness a confusing article from the Journal & Lidl aren't giving too much away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is the existing store a few hundred yards away going to remain open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/three-new-lidl-stores-in-cork-galway-donegal-622795.html

So sorry you both couldn't jump down my throat at once. In fairness a confusing article from the Journal & Lidl aren't giving too much away?

A confusing article???? It's specifically mentions Doughiska as pointed out by the helpful posts you are overly sensitive to!

zarquon wrote: »
    A confusing article???? It's specifically mentions Doughiska as pointed out by the helpful posts you are overly sensitive to!

No, I'm sorry I'm not being sensitive, overly or otherwise. The posts replying to me were just a tad quick to assume I hadn't read the article properly? The 'Doughiska' mentioned in the Journal article is in Cork - not Galway.

Back on topic - what is the story with Lidl on the Ballymoneen Road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

No, I'm sorry I'm not being sensitive, overly or otherwise. The posts replying to me were just a tad quick to assume I hadn't read the article properly? The 'Doughiska' mentioned in the Journal article is in Cork - not Galway.

It is confusing, but the Doughiska referred to, though it sounds like it could be in Cork from the way it's written, is in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

NThe 'Doughiska' mentioned in the Journal article is in Cork - not Galway.

No, it says "The three new stores in"
    1. Doughiska,
    2. Cork City Centre
    3. Letterkenny

will open on Thursday, February 27

But unless there is a second store in Doughiska, Galway, it might be somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Why do you think the Doughiska in the article is in Cork? It isn't. The article is referring to Doughiska in Galway. And, while the Journal article is not in itself confusing the situation is confusing, it is unusual to open a new store only a few hundred yards away from an existing one (as pointed out by gordongekko above).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

As the galway city forum is a mostly harmless place with some absolutely lovely regular posters I don't think anyone was trying to jump down anyone else's throat, let's not get overly bogged down by a simple miscommunication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It is unusual to open a new store only a few hundred yards away from an existing one (as pointed out by gordongekko above).
    Some comments on the Advertiser's Facebook page suggest the old Lidl is closing (and maybe being kept as a warehouse?) and the new one down the road will be bigger and will take its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

There must be loads of room for a LIDL or ALDI in Knocknacarra. Near Dunnes/B&Q/Aviva would be ideal. Knocknacarra is essentially one big housing estate and must have a very high grocery buying populace with cash to spend.

The LIDL beside Argos and the ALDIs in Westside and Galway SC can be very awkward traffic wise. Knocknacarra seems an obvious alternative.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement