Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbor killing pigeons

Options
  • 06-08-2011 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

A neighbor is killing wild pigeons in the area with a slingshot.
    I have emailed the DSPCA , should I tell the guards?
    I can't stand people like this :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

What I would do here to get a better response would be say that you saw this neighbour firing items out his window with the slingshot.. or you seen him/her leaning out the window with the slingshot.

You'd need some serious proof that it was him/her that killed the pigeon for the guards to be able to do anything. A dead bird and blaming someone will just get a response from you neighbour like this, " sorry guard, someone is obviously wasting your time, I wouldnt go randomly killing pigeons.." "no i dont have a slingshot either guard" and so on and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It is a better way to eliminate the pigeons , rather than poison them .

The people I work for hire pest control company to keep these away .

Some years ago , the pest contol guys used to poison them , but there were complaints because the birds were landing in shop doors half-alive / half-dead .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try the bird form. I don't think pigeons are protected and they can do a great deal of damage. We have to net our vegetables here for that reason.

Is he killing them for food? I am serious; times are hard and this is no different from eating chicken etc.

And as the other poster says, it is a better way than poison. Far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

garkane wrote: »
    What I would do here to get a better response would be say that you saw this neighbour firing items out his window with the slingshot.. or you seen him/her leaning out the window with the slingshot.

You'd need some serious proof that it was him/her that killed the pigeon for the guards to be able to do anything. A dead bird and blaming someone will just get a response from you neighbour like this, " sorry guard, someone is obviously wasting your time, I wouldnt go randomly killing pigeons.." "no i dont have a slingshot either guard" and so on and so on...

Why not go the whole hog and mention blood, or perhaps a dead body..........? Maybe shots were heard.........? Throw in suicide bomber maybe too............?

Could it not be the case that in fact the neighbour in this case has 100 acres of wheat, badly lodged that is being hammered by said pigeons???

My guess is as good as yours.
    In the mean time, lets not panic too much. I could also be terribly wrong but as I said my guess is as good as anyone else's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

What does neighbour do wit dead pigeons?? i mean people can/ do eat them or is it pest control?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

More details OP

Is he doing this in an estate so using a slingshot may have a stray shot?
    Or is he a farmer and trying to shift them from his buildings?

More info please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

mikemac wrote: »
    More details OP

Is he doing this in an estate so using a slingshot may have a stray shot?
    Or is he a farmer and trying to shift them from his buildings?

More info please

It's in a housing estate , and I saw him firing at them with it...

Edit..not a stray shot on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

john t wrote: »
    What does neighbour do wit dead pigeons?? i mean people can/ do eat them or is it pest control?

Pigeons are not a protected species – they are an excellent food source and readily available and a slingshot is a safe way of taking them in an urban area.

<snip>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Keep your pie recipes for the food & drink forum, it's completely off the topic of both this thread and this forum.

Does section 19 of the wildlife act 1976 state pigeons are also protected- surely an ordinary member of the public is not allowed kill them like this?

• Advertisement

Keep your pie recipes for the food & drink forum, it's completely off the topic of both this thread and this forum.

Apologies – I must have been carried away by autosuggestion. I'm like that when it comes to food. Mea culpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

It's about time pigeon murderers were tackled in this country!

Does section 19 of the wildlife act 1976 state pigeons are also protected- surely an ordinary member of the public is not allowed kill them like this?

Only carrier pigeons, racing and homing pigeons are protected – other types are rightly fair game – including Wood Pigeons, Magpies and all types of Crows – Jackdaws et cetera.

The Bullfinch is not protected though it should be; for it's sake we should be planting more of the right type of hedge in urban areas. The Pigeon may provide a meal ticket for the Sparrowhawk where other of it's prey are scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of our cats had a fine meal off a magpie.

Condatis wrote: »
    Only carrier pigeons, racing and homing pigeons are protected – other types are rightly fair game – including Wood Pigeons, Magpies and all types of Crows – Jackdaws et cetera.

<snip>

Yellow carded

garkane wrote: »

I actually did see him firing out his window!

rats with wings

But if he's firing out of his window OP well all it takes is a slip and you've a stray shot hitting a car or taking out some pedestrians eye.
    So take a photo and stroll down to the local station for advice

Birds with wings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Pigeons are not protected however like all animals they must be treated humanely & not subjected to unnecessary suffering. The inaccuracy & range of a slingshot increases the risk of a non fatal injury.

I wouldn't mention the birds but simply tell the Guards that someone is letting loose with a slingshot in the vicinity of houses, children & animals.

rats with wings

But if he's firing out of his window OP well all it takes is a slip and you've a stray shot hitting a car or taking out some pedestrians eye.
    So take a photo and stroll down to the local station for advice

Its a housing estate in dublin , not a farm in tipperary I said!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can I just remind everyone that pest control and discussion of same is permitted on this forum. It is not clear from the OP if this is what is happening in this case or not, either way there is no reason to abuse or insult other posters, so I suggest everyone think before they hit the submit button.

Discodog wrote: »

I wouldn't mention the birds but simply tell the Guards that someone is letting loose with a slingshot in the vicinity of houses, children & animals.

Oh I will be mentioning both ,thanks.

Oh I will be mentioning both ,thanks.

I wouldn't mention pigeons because the Guard will know that they are not protected & it dilutes your complaint. It sounds like someone is just taking potshots for "fun".

Its a housing estate in dublin , not a farm in tipperary I said!

Yes, which is why I posted about hitting a car or pedestrian, exactly what you might find in an estate

Are you even reading the posts in your own thread?

I remember reading somewhere that only farmers could shoot pigeons?

Does anyone here know what they are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Anyone with a game license can shoot pigeons

homerhop wrote: »
    Anyone with a game license can shoot pigeons

Thats what I mean, but what about someone with a slingshot,that must be illegal?

Thats what I mean, but what about someone with a slingshot,that must be illegal?

No it isn't. It would only be illegal if you could prove that it caused unnecessary suffering which is why most of the people here, who do know what they are talking about, are telling you to forget about the pigeons & focus on the slingshot !.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Never mind if it's legal/ethical/humane to kill pigeons with a slingshot. According to the OP this guy is using a slingshot that is powerful enough to kill pigeons in a built up area. This is a danger to public safety full stop. Notify the Gardai.

• Advertisement

Is a modern slingshot basically a sophisticated catapult?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement