Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Schools in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Original_Name

tommyhaas wrote: »
    There are plenty of good public schools in the country
    Don't be ridiculous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Cen92 wrote: »
    Thats my school, they allow repeats in, its not a boarding school.

Whoops my bad! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

!!! wrote: »
    ;)

:D

Feck it, I'll go to the Institute..
    I can guarantee that you will fail if you go there. If your not there for the right reasons (as you're clearly not) you'll fail from the first week and that'll continue for the whole year. Then you'll be one of a very large group with really poor leaving certs having paid thousands for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

bullpost wrote: »
    This one is popular and has a good reputation:

http://www.stlaurencecollege.com/repeat.html
    I couldn't recommend this enough.
    I did 7th year their this year and believe me it is the best repeat programme in the country. Although it is very intense (nicknamed the bootcamp),the teachers are brilliant, the career guidance is second to none and everyone gets on very well. They make you do alot of work through the year but it all pays off in the end.
    Also while you may be a snob ;) if this repeat programme is good enough for people from private schools such as Blackrock college,St. Michaels, Mt. Anville and CBC Monkstown(my old school:D), believe me it is good enough for you. Also no uniform :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

DL Saint wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend this enough.
    I did 7th year their this year and believe me it is the best repeat programme in the country. Although it is very intense (nicknamed the bootcamp),the teachers are brilliant, the career guidance is second to none and everyone gets on very well. They make you do alot of work through the year but it all pays off in the end.
    Also while you may be a snob ;) if this repeat programme is good enough for people from private schools such as Blackrock college,St. Michaels, Mt. Anville and CBC Monkstown(my old school:D), believe me it is good enough for you. Also no uniform :)

Do you know costs? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

I think it was around 1k for the year,which isn't cheap but it is compared to most private schools.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Don't be ridiculous...

What's ridiculous about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

those kind of people...

The majority of people you're seeking advice from here are "those kind of people".

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

I'm a public school baby, was supposed to go to private rugby schools a couple of times (starting 1st year and 5th year) but on both occasions I chickened out and decided to stay with what I knew. I spent the majority of time in prefabs, we only got our long-promised new building midway through 5th year, before that we had absolutely no facilities at all, it was desperate. Because it was also a Gaelscoil, we struggled to find a high standard of teachers, and we had no textbooks in Irish for a lot of subjects so we were massively disadvantaged by that.

In spite of all those circumstances, out of 41 students who sat the LC with me, 17 of us scored >500 points, and another 15 or so were upwards of 430/440. I know it's a small sample size, but I don't think many private schools could present statistics like those. We had all sat in prefabs, wrestled with teacher after teacher who wasn't qualified to teach us and translated books ourselves, yet we all came out with very high grades. My point is, a good student is a good student regardless of where they go to school. Private schools tend to provide a little bit of an advantage in certain areas but in general, you'll find your level in whatever environment you're in I think. In my opinion the advantages offered by private schools are more of a help to your "average" student than to those looking for top grades, as the top guys will work in any environment.

As for you OP, I see your point about freedom etc. Having been in a sitation where you're given freedom and treated like an adult to go back to a traditional school environment wouldn't be easy. Whatever you choose just make sure you work hard, being in a private school doesn't mean you've a God-given right to top grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

and be around those kind of people...

(I'm actually such a snob! :O :P)

thats really lovely...

just because some familys can pay to put there kids through these schools doesn't mean there kids are any better or worse than 'those kind of people'

i hate social snobbery...

trust me you'll be round 'those type of people' when your out in the big bad world and contempt breeds contempt my dear :)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

*their

Damn public school system...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

OP,
    if you add up all the money spent on your private education so far, and on to that then all the money your gona have to spend on a private college (to avoid the riff-raff obviously), then take that figure away from the total money your gona earn in your career with daddy's firm (who luckely are one of the only companies around to recognise the higher diploma in marketing you bought got in DBS), you'l probley be no better off then a lad going to a public school, leaving after the inter-cert for a trade.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

/studies his crystal balls

/sheds tear at where this thread is heading

/locks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement