Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devin Townsend's Ziltoid 2 will arrive on planet earth Oct. 28th!

Options
  • 02-09-2014 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/09/02/devin-townsends-ziltoid-2-release-details-revealed/
    “So it’s been years I’ve been trying to get the energies in line to do another Ziltoid record, and it’s finally happened! Z2 is my new record, and it’s a multimedia event that has taken a ton of people a ton of effort to bring to you! It’s a double album, (one side DTP, and one side Ziltoid) and the concept expands on Ziltoid the alien, and his sci-fi adventures in a way that kind of throws back to 50′s radio plays… but obviously with complicated, heavy music as its soundtrack. It has taken a great deal of energy to put this all together, and the music is just one of the aspects of it. It’s a dream come true in a lot of ways, and I’m excited and honoured to be able to finalize the project with a live version of the entire record at the famous Royal Albert Hall in London on April 13th of next year! (!!) Basically what we did with The Retinal Circus a few years back will be taken to the next level with Z2 live.

“At the end of this process, we reached for the stars, and hopefully got to the moon, and after this album cycle, I will be taking some time to recharge my batteries and see what the next chapter holds. I hope you enjoy this record and all its offshoots, as one of my goals is to hopefully inspire folks to reach for unconventional ways to express themselves as well. We couldn’t have done it without you! See you at the show?”
    “-Devin”

Seriously hope we'll see another Dublin show too! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Happy days :D. Really looking forward to this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think Ziltoid was some of his best work, so I'm more excited about this than anything he's done in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Links234 wrote: »
    I think Ziltoid was some of his best work, so I'm more excited about this than anything he's done in ages.

Ziltoid was his only weak release imo. That drumkit from hell was no substitute for Gene Hoglan or Ryan Van Poederooyen. Will certainly anticipate this with the same fervor as any Devin release but a weak Devy album is probably still stronger then most bands stronger releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Passenger wrote: »
    Ziltoid was his only weak release imo.

As Ziltoid would say,"EAT A BAG OF DICKS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pound pound pound ye pushy push pound pound, pound pound pound ye pushy push pound, pound pound pound ye pushy push pound pound - Pound! Pound! Pound! Pound! Pound!

dev-3-300x225.jpg

• Advertisement

Ziltoid is looking killer these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Looking forward to hearing this. Love that it's a double release, one DTP and one Z2.

The first album is very front heavy I always thought. I tend to lose interest a bit after the first 5 tracks. But I expect the new album will be epic.

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/510061736893120512

Devin Townsend doing an AMA on reddit this monday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Nice. I'll definitely check that out. Might try and think up an interesting question or two

Devin Townsend AND Periphery! I seriously, seriously hope they get to Ireland this time around :D

10665736_10152763551108217_7734168072032434919_n.jpg?oh=dd98ff4c6b3809b26ebad6eb7f00f053&oe=54CD8D63

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

So hyped.

Numina wrote: »
    So hyped.

wyJ8pt3.gif

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Low quality radio rip of one of the songs from the upcoming album

Reminds me of epicloud

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Low quality radio rip of one of the songs from the upcoming album

I like it a lot.
    Reminds me of epicloud

Exactly. Loved Epicloud. Getting excited about this album now.

Devin Townsend Project premiered a lyric video for the new track "Deathray". The song is taken from the upcoming double album "Z²," which is set for release via InsideOut Music (through Century Media Records) on October 27, 2014 worldwide.

The track list for the album is:

Disc 1 - Sky Blue

1. Rejoice
    2. Fallout
    3. Midnight Sun
    4. A New Reign
    5. Universal Flame
    6. Warrior
    7. Sky Blue
    8. Silent Militia
    9. Rain City
    10. Forever
    11. Before We Die
    12. The Ones Who Love

Disc 2 - Dark Matters

1. Z2
    2. From Sleep Awake
    3. Ziltoidian Empire
    4. War Princess
    5. Deathray
    6. March of the Poozers
    7. Wandering Eye
    8. Earth
    9. Ziltoid Goes Home
    10. Through the Wormhole
    11. Dimension Z

Well I think I like the overall sound of this compared to the previous Ziltoid album. At least the drums sound live too which is a major improvement imo.

New song from Z2 which is out next week. Have to say, I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.
    "Hey guys, here's the first song from Sky Blue, it's called Rejoice. The album in general is about fighting through the ugly moments, and I think this song kind of summarizes it. Z2 was a very challenging record, but after intense personal scrutiny, I feel very proud. It's the most accurate representation of a challenging time. Rejoice! :) Thanks for the support guys."

Devin

So,has anyone checked it out yet? I've been listening to both the past week and I have to say,the two albums really grow on you!

Wasn't really impressed with Sky Blue on my first listen. Left me kind of underwhelmed with some of Devin's more ambient offerings.However,on second listen,something just clicked and wholefully enjoyed it. If you're a fan of Epicloud and Addicted! I think this will gel well with you.

Dark Matters on the other hand is nothing short of amazing but be warned,it really might upset some with the direction it took. Again,it takes a few listens to just get your head around the structure of it all. Also,the humour might be a tad crude compared to the first album. The narration may annoy some too but there is a non dialogue version available on disc 3.

• Advertisement

Wee bump on this. Listening to both albums for the last week.

Wasn't mad on Sky Blue at first, but ii does grow on you after a few listens. It's not particularly innovative, stylistically quite like Epicloud, but there's some very enjoyable songs on it.

I enjoyed the concept on Dark Matters, but don't think it's anything special musically. Not bad and well worth listening too but a little but dull imo.

Preferred Causalities of Cool to either release, but that's a whole other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement