Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you donate?

• 21-05-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

First off, apologies if this has been done before.

There have been lots of threads about carrying donor cards, mostly here in AH.
    Well heres a similar one, if a loved one of yours had renal failure, and was on dialysis, would you if you were a match, consider donating a kidney to them? Or would it not be a question of having to consider, you would just offer it straight away?

Being the recipiant of a kidney, i was lucky, and am forever in debt to my donor, which came about from someone's death, sad but as they say, it truely is the gift of life.

In answer to my own question, if any loved one of mine needed a kidney i would offer one straight away, cause i have first hand experience of how life changing it is.
    So have at it guys and gals :)

Would you donate a kidney to a loved one? 68 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 68 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I would. I would be afraid as hell but for a loved one I would have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Yes.

You'd be a horrible excuse for a human not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Well heres a similar one, if a loved one of yours had renal failure, and was on dialysis, would you if you were a match, consider donating a kidney to them? Or would it not be a question of having to consider, you would just offer it straight away?

Being the recipiant of a kidney, i was lucky, and am forever in debt to my donor, which came about from someone's death, sad but as they say, it truely is the gift of life.

In answer to my own question, if any loved one of mine needed a kidney i would offer one straight away, cause i have first hand experience of how life changing it is.

Straight away, no questions asked tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I only recently picked up the Gift of Life card, so yeah, guess I would. I always feel I should do something to at least help otehrs in some way, this is how!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I would and I'd even go as far as to offer one to a complete stranger if a match could be found. Since I gave up the drink I think i could function well on one .:pac:

Seriously I would donate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Lads, I'll need a kidney in the next 20 years or so, so getting my "fist dibs" in early.

Now I've to go to boards beers and become bestest chums with you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

enda1 wrote: »
    Lads, I'll need a kidney in the next 20 years or so, so getting my "fist dibs" in early.

Now I've to go to boards beers and become bestest chums with you all.

shouldnt that be a liver you'll need? what sort of drinks are these gonna be...?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Kasabian wrote: »
    I would and I'd even go as far as to offer one to a complete stranger if a match could be found. Since I gave up the drink I think i could function well on one .:pac:

Seriously I would donate

You can actually survive on one kidney only working at 50-60%:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

You can actually survive on one kidney only working at 50-60%:)

I know , I ain't giving away body parts I need . Penis anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yes. Without a second thought.

I have a friend who has renal failure and hearing all he goes through it kills me. It's a person I met on the internet, which is why I haven't offered, I did consider it though. He's been on dialysis for nearly 10 years now and his chest access line is on it's last legs, it keeps getting infected, he's used up all other lines so I think the next one is a lumbar one?

As I say, I did consider offering to him, but when I found out all the repercussions it stopped me, selfish as it sounds I have a child now and I think what if they developed renal failure, shouldn't I keep what I have for him?

If it was a family member, I wouldn't have to think about it at all.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    shouldnt that be a liver you'll need? what sort of drinks are these gonna be...?

No actually :(

Kidneys are slowly failing due to some rare disease.
    But.

Alcohol still allowed in moderate quantities though, the liver is in tip top shape!
    Silver linings I guess.

I keep inviting my siblings to visit (I live abroad) but they're scared I'll chloroform them when they arrive and they'll wake up with a curious scar :P

I should set up a poll..
    • To rob my brother's kidney?
    • or not?

Yes. Without a second thought.

I have a friend who has renal failure and hearing all he goes through it kills me. It's a person I met on the internet, which is why I haven't offered, I did consider it though. He's been on dialysis for nearly 10 years now and his chest access line is on it's last legs, it keeps getting infected, he's used up all other lines so I think the next one is a lumbar one?

As I say, I did consider offering to him, but when I found out all the repercussions it stopped me, selfish as it sounds I have a child now and I think what if they developed renal failure, shouldn't I keep what I have for him?

If it was a family member, I wouldn't have to think about it at all.

I agree with you though, even though I could be in the situation he is in.

I think it could only be from a family member I accepted a live kidney transfer.
    I couldn't take one from a stranger/friend. Just seems selfish or something.

Don't feel guilty I think, its a very difficult choice to make I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yes, I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

probably, if my own health could withstand it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My daughter is a diabetic and it is well know that half of kidney patients are diabetics, so she develops problems with her kidneys she can have one of mine........

I agree with you though, even though I could be in the situation he is in.

I think it could only be from a family member I accepted a live kidney transfer.
    I couldn't take one from a stranger/friend. Just seems selfish or something.

Don't feel guilty I think, its a very difficult choice to make I'm sure.

do you mind me asking, are you on dialysis? Sorry if it's a personal question, tell me to feck off if you want :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I think Ivy summed it up perfectly in post #2: scared to bits, but would have to make the offer. Just as long as they allow me my trusty valium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

More than likely, but I am very very fearful of being asked to donate bone marrow... I think you would heal up pretty well after they extract your kidney. The likes of a lung or that would be different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Without a doubt.

My older sister is my hero, she didn't donate her kidney, but she donated 20% of her liver to my very sick (at the time) niece who wasn't even a year old when she was diagnosed with a hepato-blastoma (massive tumour on her liver).

Now she's 5 and you wouldn't even know there'd been anything wrong with her at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

When I'm dead they can take everything to donate, but while I'm alive I would really not want to. If it was my parents or sister I'd consider it, but for any more distant realtive or a non-relative, no f****** way. I'd feel bad that they are suffering, but if the roles were reversed, there's no way I'd expect someone to give me a kidney while they were still alive. That's all just hypothetical though, in real life I wouldn't be able to donate an organ as I had cancer 8 years ago and never got the all-clear, they wouldn't risk giving someone one of my organs. Anyway, it might sound selfish but I've had enough bad health in my life already, I wouldn't risk any more by donating a kidney.

do you mind me asking, are you on dialysis? Sorry if it's a personal question, tell me to feck off if you want :o

No its grand.

Not on dialysis. My disease is quite slow progressing so there's a chance I could go directly from medication to transplant, hopefully skipping the dialysis phase if it comes to it.

I don't relish the thought of dialysis I must say.

Only found out about the disease about a month ago.

There's even a chance I might never need a new kidney, like if I respond particularly well to the treatment, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much!

Got very lucky that they do free health checks in work where it was picked up very early, if it wasn't for that I would probably not have gone to a doctor till my functionality had dropped to like 20% (its at 70% now).

I'm 25 yo guy, 185cm and 70kg. Really not something you expect!

Anyways, sorry about taking over.

I should really vote no in the poll because I can't now donate ;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

No actually :(

Kidneys are slowly failing due to some rare disease.
    But.

Alcohol still allowed in moderate quantities though, the liver is in tip top shape!
    Silver linings I guess.

I keep inviting my siblings to visit (I live abroad) but their scared I'll chloroform them when they arrive and they'll wake up with a curious scar :P

I should set up a poll..
    • To rob my brother's kidney?
    • or not?

**** sorry to hear it. :o

You should probably rob his kidney though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Depends on how close a relative they are. If it's my immediate family, then yeah, no problem.
    But outside of that I'm not too sure, I wouldn't be pushing my way to the front of the queue to offer some of my family kidneys.

No its grand.

Not on dialysis. My disease is quite slow progressing so there's a chance I could go directly from medication to transplant, hopefully skipping the dialysis phase if it comes to it.

I don't relish the thought of dialysis I must say.

Only found out about the disease about a month ago.

There's even a chance I might never need a new kidney, like if I respond particularly well to the treatment, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much!

Got very lucky that they do free health checks in work where it was picked up very early, if it wasn't for that I would probably not have gone to a doctor till my functionality had dropped to like 20% (its at 70% now).

I'm 25 yo guy, 185cm and 70kg. Really not something you expect!

Anyways, sorry about taking over.

I should really vote no in the poll because I can't now donate ;

Fingers crossed the treatment works and you need neither transplant, nor dialysis.

I never knew the whole ins and outs of dialysis (pardon the pun :D ) till I met this other guy.

I'm glad they caught it early, you seem to have a good mentality about it all and sure they say that's half the battle! The very best of luck with the treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Oh god, yes. Without a doubt.

I'm actually a kidney donor in waiting. My uncle has kidney failure. He had a transplant about 20+ years ago after an accident. He has been back on dialysis now for about three, maybe four years. He has built up huge immunity so it is no longer viable for him to accept a kidney from anyone but family, and it has to be a live match.

At the moment, the levels of, something I forget!, are too high in his blood so he has been going to England to have that treated because a transplant cannot go ahead otherwise. His general health is also not good enough at this time for him to under-go any major surgery.

It's really awful. He has three kids. I feel so sorry for them, because a few months ago there was a really bad time where he was having serious, life threatening bleeds from the tube in his arm that was used for his dialysis. His daughter is only eleven years ago and she had to try and hold his arm tightly enough so he wouldn't bleed to death on the kitchen floor one night.

It's a horrible situation, and I know it's really hard for him, so as soon as he is well enough, I can't wait to help him and give him back his quality of life, and his family too.

More than likely, but I am very very fearful of being asked to donate bone marrow... I think you would heal up pretty well after they extract your kidney. The likes of a lung or that would be different though.

I had to have a core of bone marrow extracted to check for any diseases.

Damn that's a painful procedure - turns out they can't number the nerves in you bones!

BUT

Its not too bad. The pain is bad but its short and goes away quickly. I could limp around after.

I'm sure though that the donation would be a larger quantity, maybe done under general aesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Depends how much I am set to inherit in their will....

(I've an organ donor card though)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would. Only a coldhearted bitch wouldn't, imo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, help save a life? - Absolutely. No heisatation even for a second in answering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Oh yes, definitely, without hesitation. I would do anything to save the life of someone I care about. I carry a donor card too and I hope they butcher me when I die and give anything they possibly can give to anyone who needs it.

Sorry to hear about your condition enda1, and I wish you the best of luck with your treatment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

No, I would not, why wreck a perfectly healthy body (mine) to prolong what maybe already a lost cause. Now organ donations from dead people would be fine but harvesting an organ from a living person is just plain wrong. I would however try and organise for that person to get over to China or down to Haiti and get a kidney from some person to be executed or like the Israelis done harvest it from some Haitian person whose life expectancy is no longer than a dogs.

I always watch out for myself and despite over 90% of respondents saying yes, they are only towing the typical boards bleeding hard moronic communist line for fear of being criticised and not getting a "thanks" for their post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Id donate one to a stranger if it meant saving a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Stinicker wrote: »
    I always watch out for myself and despite over 90% of respondents saying yes, they are only towing the typical boards bleeding hard moronic communist line for fear of being criticised and not getting a "thanks" for their post.

Ah I don't think that's a very fair assumption to make. I'm sure the majority of people here saying they would donate genuinely would. Of course until you're faced with a situation like that yourself you can never be 100% sure that's exactly what you'd do; most of us can only say what we think we'd do.

Personally I know if someone I loved needed my help I would in the very least have to offer. If I didn't I'm completely certain I would not enjoy the guilt I would inevitably feel knowing that I could have helped save a life and didn't.

I'd rather have them around and be without a kidney than watch them suffer, or not have them around at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

In answer to my own question, if any loved one of mine needed a kidney i would offer one straight away,
    Wouldn't that leave you with no kidneys?

For a younger relation like the nephews I'd have no problems giving up an organ. For older relatives I kind of think they've destroyed their organs it's only fair I get to destroy my own, no sense in letting them have all the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

ScumLord wrote: »
    Wouldn't that leave you with no kidneys?

For a younger relation like the nephews I'd have no problems giving up an organ. For older relatives I kind of think they've destroyed their organs it's only fair I get to destroy my own, no sense in letting them have all the fun.

Yes, it would leave me with one, i should have said IF i had two healthy kidneys, obiviously i dont....:p

Stinicker wrote: »
    No, I would not, why wreck a perfectly healthy body (mine) to prolong what maybe already a lost cause. Now organ donations from dead people would be fine but harvesting an organ from a living person is just plain wrong. I would however try and organise for that person to get over to China or down to Haiti and get a kidney from some person to be executed or like the Israelis done harvest it from some Haitian person whose life expectancy is no longer than a dogs.

Some people don't pay any attention to the 'thank' crap and just post what they think, despite your obvious close watch of it.

Advertisement