Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike on Ryanair

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

spyderski wrote: »
    Let us know how you you get on with them, especially regarding dimensional weight for bikes.....

So far so good - they picked up one package going to Mallorca, and then my race wheels etc.. coming home. A day of traveling yesterday was made a hell of a lot more straightforward - so far, so good.

Dimensions is the killer, not weight (when you have a large box, they convert that to an allowed weight, the allowed weight will be much less than a bike + kit etc... in the box)

My bike and bags arrived in all their various locations. I was on 5 trains, 2 buses and 1 plane coming home from Belgium - sendmybags.ie was very very much worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Sorry to hijack this thread but looking for opinions on the following bike bag as CRC seem to be having a decent sale at the moment. Will be flying transatlantic in the new year and am hoping to bring a road bike with me.

Would the following be suitable?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/brand-x-complete-bike-wheel-bags/rp-prod104581

I've looked at hard cases online and this while only a padded non hard case looks like it might do the job. Hoping to fly with aerlingus so just wondering if anybody has done something similar and any recommendations they might have?

Thanks

We have one - it is fine, a little small maybe but will do the job.

I also have an Evoc bag which is (more or less) the Gold Standard for collapsible bike bags but it is €€€. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/evoc-bike-travel-bag-280l-2014/rp-prod64766

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

Booked a bike on a return flight to Carcassone France today[Ryanair]
    Flites e54 return Bike e100 return

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I had the CRC version of the Brand-X bag - same thing, just a different colour - and I wouldn't recommend it. It began showing wear after one trip and eventually tore apart. I've used the previous model of the EVOC bag since then and found it to be a quality product - well recommended if you travel once a year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

if it's a bike bag you want, it's hard to beat this for value. I've put two bikes into it.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPXDLBB/planet-x-deluxe-bike-bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Quick update (and warning) from Malaga airport. Flew out about 10 days ago and came back Dublin-Malaga Aer Lingus yesterday.. Going out had the bike boxed and no problems except comes out on normal luggage belt but was placed well.

Going home we hadn't kept the boxes but as Aer Lingus policy says only that handlebars need to be turned and pedals removed we arrived at the airport expecting all would be ok.

It turns out now that Malaga Airport expect bikes to be bagged or boxed even when flying with Aer Lingus. We ended up being brought to a secure area of the airport where bikes had to be squeezed through an xray machine (bit of dismantling and reassembly required). CO2 cartridges were removed from one bag (but not another).2 handlers did wheel the bikes away from us and they arrived safely back inDublin but if flying through Malaga with Aer Lingus I would recommend boxing bikes even when Aer Lingus will carry them unboxed..

No boxing facilities are available in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

slow wrote: »
    if it's a bike bag you want, it's hard to beat this for value. I've put two bikes into it.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPXDLBB/planet-x-deluxe-bike-bag
    How? ...it can be difficult enough getting one bike into a bag! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

The Planet X bag is maximum dimensions. A beast of a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Ryanair now charging €60 each way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cornet wrote: »
    Ryanair now charging €60 each way
    Still a lot less hassle than Aer Lingus or some of the US airlines.

Advertisement