Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skewers - How Tight?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I did a quick search but nothing obvious came up in my brief scan.

I turned the bike upside down today in contravention of Rule 49 as I had a job to do that didn't quite necessitate a trip to the shed to retrieve the stand.

I'm a bit of a fan of blasting nuts, bolts, skewers, etc as tight as I can. I'd say that I almost always exceed the recommended torque.

I spun my front wheel with the bike upside down and as I watched it spin to a halt I couldn't help thinking that is looked like it's spinning was being actively slowed for some reason. Then I opened the skewer, loosened it and then closed it. When I spun the front wheel again there was a marked noticeable difference - it took a lot, lot longer to slow to a stop.

How tight do you close your skewers? Just a nip? Blast them?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This is what I was told, but I cant speak for its accuracy :)

It should open without difficulty using all your fingers but be too tight to open with just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I read somewhere, cant remember where, that your should hold the lever half way closed and then tighten the nut on other side of skewer until it is hand tight and then close the lever the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This is how I do it darkvalley - no problem and easy to stay consistent about it.

Before I read it somewhere, I had at least two skewers snap on me from overtightening, one while riding... nothing dangerous (the rear one, going slow) but still no fun and a hell of a scare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

darkvalley wrote: »
    I read somewhere, cant remember where, that your should hold the lever half way closed and then tighten the nut on other side of skewer until it is hand tight and then close the lever the rest of the way.

I read similar when I was changing wheels recently.

Except manual said to adjust lever in and out(a little) rapidly while tightening the nut

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

All is explained, maybe too much:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If your cones are properly locked in position with lock nuts on your axel the skewer shouldn't be able to tighten them further like the OP seems to be experiencing.
    OP you should investigate further.. I'd say one if your cones is a tad loose.
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Apologies if I'm going slightly off topic but it's more than 20 years since I did any serious bicycle maintenance so I'm trying to refresh my tired memories!
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    If your cones are properly locked in position with lock nuts on your axel the skewer shouldn't be able to tighten them further like the OP seems to be experiencing.
    OP you should investigate further.. I'd say one if your cones is a tad loose.
    Marty

Thanks. I read your post in work earlier and it makes sense. I checked when I got home. There is no play from the cones but when I spin the wheel holding the locknuts I can feel a partial grinding or pulsing resistance - it feels like the bearings are grinding. Is it possible that they are too tight? Should I dismantle and regrease? The bike is almost a year old with just over 4,000km. The rear wheel is with my LBS getting a spoke replaced so I can't compare front with rear right now.

The tyres that came with my Giant were crap and I'm beginning to fall out of love with the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If it's pulsating as you say it's likely a bearing or two are a bit scuffed up or a bit tight/dry.
    Bearings that are too tight push out the grease... Then your running dry.
    I wouldn't be overly worried in any case as that resistance your feeling is nothing comparatively speaking.
    If your holding onto the bike be worth buying new bearings stripping the old axel down and rebuilding for peace of mind.
    They are cheap as chips.
    If you go this route make sure to inspect the axel itself and the cones.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have to put any massive force onto the skewer, you've gone too tight. My method is to close the lever and then tighten the nut hand tight (as tight as you can reasonably go with your hand). Then open the lever fully again, turn the nut a half turn and close it again. It should then feel tight enough that you need to use the heel of your hand to close it, but not so tight that it feels like it might go through your hand.

Advertisement