Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on problem with thermostat

Options
  • 08-11-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd be grateful for any advice on the following.

Just moved into a house where the thermostat is one where you set the gas boiler to come on at an allocated time. I don't think there is an actual temperature setting on the thermostat that I can see. The heat settings on the radiators can be changed however.

We spend most of the time in the living room and very little in the kitchen where the thermostat is located. I've switched off a few radiators around the house, and lowered the one in the kitchen, and now the areas where the radiators are on are absolutely roasting, even when turned down. The aim was to reduce the cost of our heating but now the boiler seems to be working even harder than before!

Is there anyway to correct for this? Perhaps turning all the radiators down will compensate?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Are you sure it's a stat and not just a timeclock.
    Can you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭thewiseowl12

ptogher14 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a stat and not just a timeclock.
    Can you post a picture?

I had never thought that but after reading your message you could be right - it's a Siemens rwb7 timeswitch. I can't find any temperature setting on it anyway.

Any ideas on where I might find the thermostat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I had never thought that but after reading your message you could be right - it's a Siemens rwb7 timeswitch. I can't find any temperature setting on it anyway.

Any ideas on where I might find the thermostat?

It looks like a time clock to me. Google the manual for it

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It looks like a time clock to me. Google the manual for it

I've had a look at the manual but there's no mention in it of setting an ambient temperature?

I'm assuming thevthermostat must be elsewhere so?

Cheers

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Looks like a clock.. Do you rads have thermostatic valves on them?
    Were you adjusted the rads them self's, is it just
    The small knob, clockwise for more heat anti to less?
    Did you do it on both sides of the rads?
    Perhaps someone with more knowledge could confirm
    That you may have set the valance on the rads in balanced now?
    To adjust the temperature of the boiler, Check the gas boiler unit itself there should be a dial on it

• Advertisement

It looks like a timeclock to me. You probably have a stat on the boiler. But that only controls the heat of the boiler. If you want to control room temperature you have two options. Hardwire a stat in. Or you may be able to find a wireless one to suit

Just had a quick look on the heatmiser website. They have wireless programmable stats that would do the trick for you

ptogher14 wrote: »
    It looks like a timeclock to me. You probably have a stat on the boiler. But that only controls the heat of the boiler. If you want to control room temperature you have two options. Hardwire a stat in. Or you may be able to find a wireless one to suit

We've turned off a few unnecessary radiators and turned down a few others but these are absolutely piping hot now, even though they've been turned down.

I assumed the boiler was working extra hard maybe, due to the thermostat being located in a cold room.

Located boiler and the thermostat was set to the highest setting (6) which I've now reduced to (3). Hopefully we'll see the bill savings soon! On a side note, it was shocking to see how little insulation there was in the attic. :eek:

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Located boiler and the thermostat was set to the highest setting (6) which I've now reduced to (3). Hopefully we'll see the bill savings soon! On a side note, it was shocking to see how little insulation there was in the attic. :eek:

Thanks for all the help.

You will save much more cash by insulating the loft properly. Then install room thermostats and check you have a correctly working cylinder thermostat on the hot water cylinder. Basic controls will save you the most money. All you have done is reduced the operating temperature of the boiler water thus not making huge savings as the heat coming into the existing system is reduced thus increasing the heating up time. This heat is escaping via the loft and /or walls etc. Having radiators turned off is leaving rooms cold and likely damp.
    Get a few quotes for installing an upgrade to your heating control system. Then come back here......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I thought the best thing was to max or near max the boiler stat and control the heating with TRVs and a room stat/s, it means everything has its set demand satisfied, wont turn on if its already met it and doesnt oversupply heat.

We have turned the thermostat from the max (6) to (4) and we've used about 60% of the gas we normally use on a daily basis with no noticeable change in house warmth. The radiators are still absolutely roasting, even when turned down, so we've moved the boiler thermostat to (3) to see how we fare.

We have a huge hot water cyclinder and I suspect much of the gas was going to heating that up to a very high temperature which we don't need. We only need enough hot water for three short showers in the morning.

Advertisement