Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man stole dead pal's pension for 23 years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

He should be jailed for fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

3,500 weeks you mean or 67 years ¬_¬

140,000/40=3500/52=67.37

math lessons with menengroth will be right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I presume at the very least the state can claim ownership of his house after death to sell it for repayment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stop....Hammer Time

He should be given Life in Prison which is 1 or 2 years probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What do our government do with their computers? I don't see how this kind of thing can happen in this age of information technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I think it's absolutely hilarious and fair play to the chap.

It's nothing worse (indeed, it's far less than) what the politicians and bankers have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

What do our government do with their computers? I don't see how this kind of thing can happen in this age of information technology.

absolutley nothing. My wifes grandfather died about 15 years. They still get a voting card for every election despite writing to the register of electors after each election. They have given up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

old ppl r gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think in addition to jailing this miscreant for life, the remains of his dead accomplice should be exhumed and publicly flogged as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

How did they come to the figure of €40 a week? Why not €100 or €5 or 20c a week for example for all the difference it will make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

He must have had all the old biatches after him with all that dosh.

There was untold amounts of money spent on boiled sweets, irelands own magazines & eyedrops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

easyeason3 wrote: »
    There was untold amounts of money spent on boiled sweets, irelands own magazines & eyedrops.

Probably an offshore account for Werther's Originals too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

our entire civil service system is an absolute joke, the only reason this particular case was discovered was that because the first and seemingly only contact the state had with the deceased was because he turned 100, good god they have no idea what is going on and what they are funding through tax misallocation.
    Honestly I don't even feel anything on the sentence or even the crime, if a system is so flawed people will be tempted and will abuse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's only fair that he carries on paying it back even when he's dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

WindSock wrote: »
    old ppl r gay.

+1 lolololol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,621 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Let me get this straight, the man was dead when the guilty man started to take pension contributions? Well, you know what, at least the money was probably put to good use; the State would have wasted it more than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

amen wrote: »
    absolutley nothing. My wifes grandfather died about 15 years. They still get a voting card for every election despite writing to the register of electors after each election. They have given up.
    Sure I've had the same from the hospital. Went in for a procedure, had it done, then 3 months later they send me out a letter saying I'm booked in again. When I contacted them they had no record of me ever being in hospital and the next year saw me rebooked for the same procedure 3 or 4 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think its sad. He has throat cancer and is the sole full time carer of his ill wife; the man made a huge mistake but it sounds like karma had got him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

rasper wrote: »
    our entire civil service system is an absolute joke, the only reason this particular case was discovered was that because the first and seemingly only contact the state had with the deceased was because he turned 100, good god they have no idea what is going on and what they are funding through tax misallocation.
    Honestly I don't even feel anything on the sentence or even the crime, if a system is so flawed people will be tempted and will abuse it.

What would you have the state do? have old people sign on every week to prove they can still breath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

What would you have the state do? have old people sign on every week to prove they can still breath?

Yes. Like the dole.
    If someone is bedridden, it can be paid to nminated person, but every death cert must be checked against people claiming allowances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Yeah, that way the state will claw back all the taxpayers' money wasted on the old rascal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

amen wrote: »

That's not for the grandfather though, that's so the FF candidate's friends can slip a few extras in at the end of polling. You know, for luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Bit silly of the old beggar all the same, i mean he should of stoped colecting it ast say 98, i mean what did he think that he could get away with it for another 20 years, fair play to him i say, what he done was a lot less than many TD'S and Bankers have done.

Yes, I'd like to think that the state has someway of justifying payments outside of once every 23 years and only coz the dead man turned 100.
    How long does his PPS number stay active for , does anyone know who is in or out of the country, and if they are "breathing",
    Another prime example of state incompetance , and a previous poster was right in his statement at least that man probably spent it more wisely than this governments squandering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Teferi wrote: »
    I think it's absolutely hilarious and fair play to the chap.

It's nothing worse (indeed, it's far less than) what the politicians and bankers have done.

I'm actually sick of hearing the "Ah sure it's nothing compared to..." line. It doesn't provide any kind of justification. Typical Irish "rogue/cute hoor" attitude that has us fucked to begin with.

...and "Absolutely hilarious?" "Fair play"? Why's that exactly? He's been defrauding for 23 years, he wasn't always an OAP.

I'm a young man, would it be "hilarious" if I did it for 23 years and got away as relatively light as he is?

consultech wrote: »
    I'm actually sick of hearing the "Ah sure it's nothing compared to..." line. It doesn't provide any kind of justification. Typical Irish attitude "rogue/cute hoor" attitude that has us fucked to begin with.

...and "Absolutely hilarious?" "Fair play"? Why's that exactly? He's been defrauding for 23 years, he wasn't always an OAP.

I'm a young man, would it be "hilarious" if I did it for 23 years and got away as relatively light as he is?

If you feel like that why haven't you said this to the govt? Why are you putting hilarious in quotation marks in that sentence? Are you implying I didn't say hilarious since you are making an attempt at irony? :pac:

Keyboard warrior ftl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

walshb wrote: »
    Let me get this straight, the man was dead when the guilty man started to take pension contributions? Well, you know what, at least the money was probably put to good use; the State would have wasted it more than likely.

Are you not constantly complaining about dole scammers and social welfare fraudsters? This man stole 140K and you salute him? WTF? :confused:

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Are you not constantly complaining about dole scammers and social welfare fraudsters? This man stole 140K and you salute him? WTF? :confused:

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Yeah, but he's Irish:)

Teferi wrote: »
    If you feel like that why haven't you said this to the govt?

Say what exactly? That I'm sick of hearing it? I'm sure they'll be enthrawled. The reason I haven't said anything to them is because they're not going around saying idiotic things like "Ah sure fair play...Not as bad as the bankers" etc?
    Why are you putting hilarious in quotation marks in that sentence?

Maybe because I was quoting you? That's what quotation marks are for. The clue is in the title tbh.
    Keyboard warrior ftl.

Don't know what this is.

• Advertisement

The man committed an offence, but when you compare him to the likes
    of some of our public reps who have been riding the system for years, it's a
    spit in the ocean. That is why standards should never be dropped; it leads
    to this kind of thing. Unfortunately, the standards at the top, from the so called
    pillars of society are pretty poor, hence how can we expect the "peasants"
    to be better?

Say what exactly? That I'm sick of hearing it? I'm sure they'll be enthrawled. The reason I haven't said anything to them is because they're not going around saying idiotic things like "Ah sure fair play...Not as bad as the bankers" etc?

No. The typical irish attitude that has us ****ed to begin with. Why haven't you called the govt. up on that?
    Maybe because I was quoting you? That's what quotation marks are for. The clue is in the title tbh.

No. You were using scare quotes whiche are a completely different thing. It is the equivalent of someone using their fingers to air quote.
    Don't know what this is.

Luckily, I know a place that lets you find out

walshb wrote: »
    The man committed an offence, but when you compare him to the likes
    of some of our public reps who have been riding the system for years, it's a
    spit in the ocean. That is why standards should never be dropped; it leads
    to this kind of thing. Unfortunately, the standards at the top, from the so called
    pillars of society are pretty poor, hence how can we expect the "peasants"
    to be better?

Wait...Consultech doesn't like that attitude. I'd remove your post if I were you ;)

Not into the technicality-bickering myself buddy, good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Let's start with the bankers, politicians and developers who lied and cheated their way into making a mess of this country and work down from there, shall we? He beat the system and made an embarrassment of it. If he's jailed for fraud, those who dropped the ball and allowed this to happen should be too.

Not into the technicality-bickering myself buddy, good luck with it.

I'm not your buddy, pal :pac:

...You realise you dissected one of my posts right? Oh, that subtle mistress irony.

• Advertisement

It's a bit funny how the story is reported in the Star today.

They say "An elderly man who fraudulently claimed almost 140, 000 Euro."

I mean, in 1984 this "elderly" man was a young man of around 40....

Anyway, he probably had a vision in 1984 that in 2010 the powers that
    be would cut the pension, so he decided to make hay while the sun shone;)

Looks like the certain members of the medical profession would have to be jailed and we know that won't happen, in fact the IMO are argueing that they should not even have to pay back the money, don't even think your man had that brass neck

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12988-doctors-get-%E2%80%98ghost-payments%E2%80%99-patients-who-are-long-dead

Doctors get ‘ghost payments’ for patients who are long dead
    May 21, 2010 - 7:30am
    HSE pays out more than €5m for deceased Medical Card holders
    By Darragh McDonagh

The Health Service Executive (HSE) has paid more than €5 million in capitation payments to general practitioners since January 2009 in respect of medical card holders who were deceased.

Since the administration of the medical card scheme for people over 70 was centralised to the Primary Care Reimbursement Service (PCRS) last year, around 20,000 cardholders have been removed after it was discovered that they were deceased.

The HSE had continued to make capitation payments to GPs in respect of these cardholders after their deaths. The value of these “ghost payments” since January 2009 is understood to have amounted to €5m.

The issue is to be raised at a meeting of the HSE Regional Health Forum West in Galway next week in the form of a question from its chairperson, Cllr Padraig Conneely.

The discovery of the “inappropriate payments” has been represented as a saving by the HSE as the removal of the deceased cardholders will reduce the amount payable to GPs under the scheme in future.

However, the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO) has said that any effort to recoup monies erroneously paid to GPs would be resisted unless similar anomalies which have resulted in underpayments to doctors were addressed on a “quid pro quo” basis.

“We recognise that there are anomalies but the medical card system is the responsibility of the HSE to administer and it is an imperfect system,” said Dr Ronan Boland of the IMO.

“We have highlighted anomalies in other areas that have resulted in underpayments to GPs and I think it would be unjust for the HSE to recoup the money if arrears that are owed to GPs due to administrative failings are not also addressed.”

Chairman of the HSE Regional Health Forum West Cllr Padraig Conneely described the revelation as a “shocking indictment” of the administrative system within the HSE.

“At a time when frontline services are suffering from cutbacks and cash shortages at the two Galway hospitals, the HSE has been paying out millions of euro in respect of people who clearly no longer require medical care,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Remember this guy was 43 when he decided to claim the pension of a dead 77 year old...

On the other hand while ordinarily i'd probably condemm his actions I don't think I could judge him without knowing the full details of his personal situation...maybe he really did need the money?? e6000 a year is a bargain for the state for a full time carer...i'd imagine it'd cost alot more if his wife was put into state-run care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

I'm actually sick of hearing the "Ah sure it's nothing compared to..." line. It doesn't provide any kind of justification. Typical Irish "rogue/cute hoor" attitude that has us fucked to begin with.

+1 to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

This kind of innovation is so foreign to the Irish Government, I can see why they're so annoyed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement