Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye Contact

• 19-05-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

When your talking to someone, do you look them straight in the eye always or is it more your focus is a little/alot, to the left, or right, with the occasional glance?

Went for a job interview at a restaurant there recently.
    The boss, he was giving me serious and relentless deep and meaningfuls - it was a bit off putting.

How do you maintain eye contact when conversing with someone?

Comments

Depends on the person.. I find the only way to lure in kids is with a deep trusting gaze.
    For everyone else, I've no idea.. Half eye contact, half not maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

no, i keep looking, not in a psycho way, just in an interested way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Blank staring is really off putting and rude. Make eye contact, but vary it for chrissake.
    Smile, move your eyes, use your hands, but don't just stand there blankly staring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Look between their eyes, but if you're really close to them look at their iris other wise you'll be cross eyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does she have big boobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If I'm comfortable with someone, I don't notice eye contact. It happens, but it's just a natural thing so I never think about it. If someone makes me nervous or something though, I get really paranoid about eye contact! Look at them, look away if our eyes meet kinda thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I hate eye contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I find the only way to lure in kids is with a deep trusting gaze.
    Don't forget the sweets and puppies. They help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I glance at the eyes or face frequently/occasionally, sometimes I find it easier to listen when I am looking at something else though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

When your talking to someone, do you look them straight in the eye always or is it more your focus is a little/alot, to the left, or right, with the occasional glance?

Went for a job interview at a restaurant there recently.The boss, he was giving me serious and relentless deep and meaningfuls - it was a bit off putting.

How do you maintain eye contact when conversing with someone?

Thats the most important time to hold eye contact, and with a friendly smile. You can't hope a company will take you on based on your CV alone, especially if you're going for a front line position where you are dealing with their customers. Your tone of voice is important too, speak up and clearly.

Yes, I hold eye contact with people. A lot can be said with just a look alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Your going for an interview ,some1s talking to you you are supposed to look em in the eye.IT denotes sincerity and honesty, ie i have nothing to hide.AN interview is also a test of your people skills, otherwise they could just take the person with the most points in the leaving cert.To survive in the big city ,you are not supposed to make eye contact with strangers unless you want to be hassled by the local weirdo/gouger, hence the dub expression You looking at me?
    ITS not like a small village where we all know each other.
    And some women take it as creepy if you look em in the eye ,if you are not a friend/ co worker.
    ITS probably 1 of those unwritten rules like dont go up to a nun and ask where, s the best place to buy condoms,or dont ask a garda to share your joint .
    If i,m talking to a friend , i look around and don,t need to maintain eye contact all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

When they're talking I tend to hold a steady gaze on their face, (always looking for clues).
    When I'm talking, I'll look in their eyes but look away every so often or flick my focus in a triangle, from their left eye to their right eye to their forehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i dont wear eye contacts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Had an interview on Monday there for a thing in school and the lad interviewing looked brain-dead. He just stared at me blankly, no facial expressions whatsoever.

He was a knóbhead as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I always maintain an unblinking stare when im talking to someone.

Even after they've left.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

thy who stare last stares longest. mo-out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

JLM........come on back and tell us all about it..:D

Don't spare any detail Jake.....don't hang back now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Bolag_the_2nd

Eye contact denotes honesty, if you cant look someone in the eye, what are you hiding? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Eye contact denotes honesty, if you cant look someone in the eye, what are you hiding? ;)

The chloroform saturated rag concealed in my hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Depends on the person.. I find the only way to lure in kids is with a deep trusting gaze.
    For everyone else, I've no idea.. Half eye contact, half not maybe.
    Couldn't agree more.

Trusting leads to thrusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Not necessarily, some people are just shy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

It actually has been said that if you fix your stare on the person when you are talking, then it's more likely that you're lying.
    Because it's not a natural flow of conversation, then you kind of clam up a little, and it becomes a little too structured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

cover your eyes with you hands and then open them saying "peek-a-boo" always helps break the eye contact tension thing during an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

baz2009 wrote: »
    Had an interview on Monday there for a thing in school and the lad interviewing looked brain-dead. He just stared at me blankly, no facial expressions whatsoever.

He was a knóbhead as well.

didn't get the job then?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ya gotta maintain eye contact when you've just been eye-fúcked by a passing stranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Not true. In some cultures direct eye contact when someone older than you is addressing you is considered as extremely rude and a challenge to their authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Oh I hate eye contact. I can't look someone in the eye without wanting to rip my eyes out. Although I do keep eye contact when talking to someone, but i'll do the occasional glance to the side or over the shoulder type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

WindSock wrote: »
    I glance at the eyes or face frequently/occasionally, sometimes I find it easier to listen when I am looking at something else though :pac:

their b00bs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I have a friend who stares at you with menacing eyes, not when hes relaxed....

It's like he's taking the eye contact thing to an unnecessary level. He tries to hard with the eye cntact thing...makes me uncomfortable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Surprised nobody has mentioned Aspeger syndrome.

It's on the autism spectrum and one of the main symptoms is reluctant or difficulty with eye contact.

One of the most famous people with the condition is Gary Numan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

This is clearly the best way to approach a job interview.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Aspeger syndrome.

It's on the autism spectrum and one of the main symptoms is reluctant or difficulty with eye contact.

One of the most famous people with the condition is Gary Numan.

I only know the Old one.....

/coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Eye contact-sounds sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye i'd say its very sore! You know how sore it is when a finger gets in ur eye, imagine how sore it'd be when someone goes over and sticks their eyeball in ur eye!! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No idea how much I do it. If I actually consciously look in your eyes, hello there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I always look down on people even though I'm 5'11 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

As a member of the seriously mentally ill community I feel I have an insight to offer on this. On a shorthaul flight (i.e. Dublin suburb to St. Stephen's Green) one is better off keeping one's head down,(it's only fifteen minutes) however on a longhaul flight (i.e. dublin-cork/galway/limerick) it is better to show (nay brandish) your nutter's travel pass to the conductor and then start whistling whilst trying to engage everyone around you in conversation.

Even the mentally ill have defence mechanisms lads.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

/scratches head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I have been told I have friendly eyes so I try to use these to put people at ease before I execute them.

Some people use eye contact way to much that it becomes uncomfortable. It is ok to look away sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Definitely. People should make eye contact when talking to someone. One of my pet hates are people who look at your mouth when you are talking. (this does not apply if they are flirting with you of course ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

LadyW wrote: »
    Definitely. People should make eye contact when talking to someone. One of my pet hates are people who look at your mouth when you are talking. (this does not apply if they are flirting with you of course ;))
    you must love trips to the dentist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Moi? Go to a dentist? With these pearly whites?? :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

When passing strangers on the street I'll only glance at people, if it's a hot girl I'll glance slightly longer depending on how she responds.

I try not to make eye contact with beggars especially the sort who have the gall to ask complete strangers at luas and bus stops for a euro "bus fare".

While passing charity workers I'll look away although I usually end up smiling as I do so which only makes them approach me! :)

If I'm talking to a hot girl I'll keep direct eye contact to reel her in ;)

While talking to everyone else I pretty much keep eye contact although I think I glance left or right every so often to think about what they're saying.

Also, isn't there a thing when speaking you glance either left if you're recalling a memory from your brain, and right if you're accessing the creative part which usually may indicate lying depending on context - or vice versa?

What I don't think I should do is think about this thread too much because then it will influence what I do and I'll probably just do weird eye contact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

tip for interview: if you dont like making eye contact with some in an interview.. look at their eye brows. its less uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

genrally when ive got an interveiw
    and Im more then qualified to the job I know they want me... Ive got some skills we all do... Il lean back a little keep my shoulder high, and maintain eye contact i don't
    let it faze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have a hard time making eye contact with certain people, used to get teased about the shape of my eyes when I was younger (which is ironic considering everyone now says they're my best feature, women tell me all the time :D) but it depends on the person, wierdly with strangers I have no issue with, with people I know well i tend to look away a lotwhen I'm talking, its something I'm well aware of though so it annoys me when people say someone who doesnt make eye contact cant be trusted and all that sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

neil_hosey wrote: »
    tip for interview: if you dont like making eye contact with some in an interview.. look at their eye brows. its less uncomfortable.

Ohh,I knew a guy who did that,actually not the eye brows but the forehead. I found it quite deceitful. You got the impression he was making eye contact with you when he wasn't. Don't know the reason,he threw a wobbly when I asked him.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Stare at thier crotch it makes them more relaxed. Since I have adopted this strategy I have a 0% sucess rate in interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

i give as good as i get. you stare at me, i stare till i burn a f'n hole buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

My tips for doing well at interview...

1. small talk, plenty of it

2. crack a joke or two

3. try to be their best friend, empathise with them, etc etc

4. smile, flirt even

if it's a woman, don't stare at her knockers. I was in an interview once with a woman who had a fine set and I had a hell of a time maintaining eye contact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement