Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are some religions madder than others?

• 25-09-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading a link in a thread on Mitt Romney and some of the Mormon beliefs would indeed be a little......offbeat. But are some religious beliefs madder than others? Or are they all mad, Ted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No, they are all quite bonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

theyre all mad but some a little more than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Are some people more manipulative than others?

Yes, yes they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Ah God, here we go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

brummytom wrote: »

Hang on now, there's a few gods that are validly worshipped. Which one are you taking in vain? Just so we know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

vicwatson wrote: »
    No, they are all quite bonkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I think they are all a load of coq!

Pffft, its frowned upon if you still believe in Santa, Tooth Fairy and Larry Murphy at the age of 12.

But it seems to be ok to believe in "Jesus", "Allah", "Muhammad" or "Tom Cruise".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Well it depends if you define a religion which promises 99 virgins waiting for you in heaven if you blow yourself up and take as many people with you... 'mad'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

magic underpants? god living on another planet? nonsense! virgin births, talking snakes, zombie jews? sure thats fact like.

yes, they're all as batsh1t as the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

The Westboro Baptist Church springs to mind, like an angry and terrifying frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

they're all mad , but i do like the sound of "magic underpants".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Where To wrote: »
    Are some people more manipulative than others?

Yes, yes they are.

That wasn't the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

They are all nuts.

Catholics and Muslims are particularly bad as they have a disturbing propensity to have sex with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

brummytom wrote: »

get back to your studies you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cake or death?

CHOOSE. :mad:

Cake or death?

CHOOSE. :mad:

death by cake, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

ah god indeed.
    a religion is just a group of people with similar spirital views.

sometimes the group becomes an organization, which then sometimes becomes a corporation.....then theres power to be had....and that power corrupts everything.

then critics come along and rightly criticize.

however, having spiritual questions such as who am i and wtf am i doing here, why do i exist, what is consciousness, etc etc is perfectly logical.

some such questions can never be objectively answered with physical science, and so a religion forms.

'bonkers' is just a subjective definition anyway, the Mormons probably think you're off your head for not having 10 wives and rollin in a 2 horse carriage in Ohio biiatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some are really out there, like the Moon cult and the Koolaid drinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

from the film Baraka, which I think you can watch online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

lazygal wrote: »
    Just reading a link in a thread on Mitt Romney and some of the Mormon beliefs would indeed be a little......offbeat. But are some religious beliefs madder than others? Or are they all mad, Ted?

That's the great thing about Catholicism, it's so vague, and nobody really knows what it's all about..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

from the film Baraka, which I think you can watch online

its like they're trying to artistically express the quality of comments in afterhours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Katie Taylor believes some mysterious God helps her to win boxing matches.
    I didn't know a whole lot about her before the Olympics, but when i saw her in interviews after going on about this nonsense i couldn't believe it.
    I thought only auld wans went on like that.
    Where do people get these mad notions out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

That wasn't the question.
    But it was the answer. Religion is about the manipulation of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

MJ23 wrote: »
    I didn't know a whole lot about her before the Olympics, but when i saw her in interviews after going on about this nonsense i couldn't believe it.

You never went to an Irish national school no?

That sh1t wrecks my head, you never see people blaming god they lose, only praising him help them win. so by that logic, you have nothing to be proud of yourself, and old Yahweh did it all for you, and if you lost, well he didnt want you to win anyway, so it was a futile effort. which makes him an asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

They are all mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

No they aren't, now let me worship my giant vengeful crab god in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

marcsignal wrote: »
    That's the great thing about Catholicism, it's so vague, and nobody really knows what it's all about..:D

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

What's even crazier is His choice and timing of world situations to intervene: 20,000 syrians killed in violent clashes this year?? Pfff feck them, instead lets get involved with some womens olympic boxing matches!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

All religions with their theories, is nuts.

Some religions with their physical effect upon the world, is worse sadly than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

-

I'd like to know more about these 'Magic Underpants'.

1. What powers, if any, do they bestow upon the wearer?
    2. Are they in a museum somewhere?
    3. Why aren't fake copies being knocked off in China?

:confused:

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm a devout Pastafarian, from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

How can you believe in a religion that is based on all humans originating from a couple who only had sons ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Islam for one. Mad so they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

seeing what one little video has done the last two weeks answers the question...mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

That's the box ticked for the religion bashing thread for the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Blasphemy!! 10 Hail Mary 15 Our Fathers and a quick handjob out in the car park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

All religions have a couple of mad ideas often in the background

transubstansiation in the RC church is an article of faith - which means you have to believe it or you are not a Catholic.

I wouldn't mind but it only came in in the 1500s

there are plenty in the protestant churches too.

judaism a moslem faiths have their own oddities too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thugee cult was fairly mad out.

ukonline wrote: »
    -

I'd like to know more about these 'Magic Underpants'.

1. What powers, if any, do they bestow upon the wearer?
    2. Are they in a museum somewhere?
    3. Why aren't fake copies being knocked off in China?

:confused:

-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

What's even crazier is His choice and timing of world situations to intervene: 20,000 syrians killed in violent clashes this year?? Pfff feck them, instead lets get involved with some womens olympic boxing matches!

It's the sheer and utter hypocrisy of that position that bugs me...thinking so little of her own hard work, skill, dedication and that of her coaches, boxing partners etc. and yet thinking so much of yourself that your invisible buddy is more concerned with your medal winning than the thousands who die every week due to starvation, poverty, preventable diseases and conflict.

I dunno how she justifies that to herself and frankly I don't care all that much but hearing it just irks me - enough to write a post in AH about it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thugee cult was fairly mad out.

If it existed, which is debatable, apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Well of all the religions it appears Islam inspires the most hatred. That would have to be the maddest given the irony of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Mormonism probably just sounds completely nuts because we haven't been brought up in a society that views it as normal. Any of the nutier aspects of Catholicism wouldn't have made me think twice up until I was in my teens and started questioning it. Think about it, though: every week a man stands up in front of his congregation, turns some wafer biscuits into the flesh of their god, eats it, and then offers it to everyone else to eat it too. Would sound pretty nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Buddhism looks nice and chilled out.
    At least they don't encourage kicking the sh*t out of non-practitioners.

Its really a question of what you're used to. Once you distance yourself from all religion, you start to see they're just various flavours of lunacy, refined to different stages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nodin wrote: »
    If it existed, which is debatable, apparently.
    People were killed that much is not debatable.

Didn't all known Civilizations in Mesoamerical practise Human Sacrifice ?

The Minoans and very ancient Greeks did too, as did the Romans and Celts.

http://bible.cc/hebrews/11-17.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes some are nuttier than others.........

People were killed that much is not debatable.

They were indeedy.

Didn't all known Civilizations in Mesoamerical practise Human Sacrifice ?

O yes. And ritual torture. Breaking your arms, legs, binding you up and lighting a fire in the small of the back, for instance. theres a wealth of painted pottery documenting the craic.

The Minoans and very ancient Greeks did too, as did the Romans and Celts.

http://bible.cc/hebrews/11-17.htm

They did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I find that the more modern religions seem more crazy than the older ones and I suspect that is because they can be traced all the way from conception to today which makes the nonsense appear more obvious. Nobody knows who first came up with the stories in the old testament. We can't make a good guess at their motivations, their mental health, whether or not they meant their stories to be believed literally or whether they were intended as metaphors. We don't know how they went from being a person with a great imagination to convincing others to believe in them. Therefore the stories are more timeless, they feel more 'real' because we don't know where they came from.

On the other hand you have the modern religions like Mormonism. We can find out all about Joseph Smith's history, we know about his poor childhood and early immersion in 'magical' religion and treasure hunting. We know his story of seeing the angel Moroni and translating the golden plates. We know that when part of the translation of the Book of Lehi went missing Smith couldn't/wouldn't translate the plates again and replaced that part of the Book of Mormon with similar but not identical stories, that he claimed were from the Plates of Nephi. There are plenty of records of how he built his church, of his behaviour, his finances and the charges of financial fraud brought against him and how he fled from arrest. We know enough about Smith's personality and how he began to practice plural marriage to take a pretty good guess at his motivation. We know about the reality of being a wife of a Mormon prophet from women like Ann Eliza Young who made sure the rest of America heard their stories. We know how major changes to the religion have happened when God contacts the Prophet to tell him of his changed wishes just ahead of a change in law which would have made the old ways illegal.

With Mormonism we can follow it's evolution from before it's inception and that makes it's ludicrousness is stark while older religions seem more valid because they have been around longer and we don't know exactly how or why they came about which makes them harder to see through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement