Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think pet fish are aware of their imprisonment?

• 21-09-2012 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

I've been watching a pet goldfish swim around it's tank and it looks so depressed.

I hope it's not aware.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

He's not going to be much happier if you take him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Mine is. I make sure by reminding it from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Stay off the chronic man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

In what does it look depressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

In its bowl, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I had a one tropical fish eat the rest of the fish in my tank....he was aware of what he was at....the pr!ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They say Goldfish only have 30 seconds of memory.

question is tho, how did scientists actually prove that? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Cybercubed wrote: »
    I've been watching a pet goldfish swim around it's tank and it looks so depressed.

I hope it's not aware.

Hire some goldfish hookers for it to have some sexy time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

A heron ate all the fish in my pond last week :(

I wonder if they were aware of being digested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I doubt they are aware :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

They always seem surprised to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yes, every 6 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Two goldfish in a tank.

"How the **** do you drive this thing??"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

They say Goldfish only have 30 seconds of memory.

question is tho, how did scientists actually prove that? :pac:

It's a 3 month memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Coarse they are.

They do remember and they get depressed in small spaces, like the normal confined tanks they sell with them
    I had one repeatedly attempt suicide :( Before I knew any better

Where To wrote: »
    Coarse they are.

Clever

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Coarse they are.

Ah c'mon now there is a time and a plaice for that sort of thing.

Silverfish wrote: »
    It's a 3 month memory.

Funny the way you know that considering your username :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Coarse they are.

outstanding sir, well played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whats the point in keeping goldfish. What do people get out of it?

Whats the point in keeping goldfish. What do people get out of it?

Mine are deadly. Also, they made more goldfish. So overall I'm up by 3 goldfish.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Do you think they're aware of their own reflection? More pouting than rozz purcell and the stone rosses combined...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I feel worse for pet birds. Should be illegal to keep them in cages like that.

I actually find it hard to look at my mate's parrot just sitting their in his cage when he should be 200 feet high outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I doubt they do as I can recall that goldfish only have about a 7 second memory they forget where they were and what they did 7 seconds ago. So its like their 7 second memory is being wiped out every 7 seconds.

doovdela wrote: »
    I doubt they do as I can recall that goldfish only have about a 7 second memory they forget where they were and what they did 7 seconds ago. So its like their 7 second memory is being wiped out every 7 seconds.

You mean their 3 month memory?

Apparently goldfish actually have a three month memory. Can't for the life of me remember where I read that.

I was sure it was a 7 second memory or was it 20 seconds? or 7 minutes something like that, 3 months? Didn't think they had brains but obviously they have to have some kind of one but minute one with very little grey matter!
    I either read it somewhere or was discussed on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Apparently goldfish actually have a three month memory. Can't for the life of me remember where I read that.

You obviously read it more than three months ago. :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I remember wondering 'do cows get bored' then heard later it was a deep philosophical question. Apparantley.

This is just going round and round in circles

I was sure it was a 7 second memory or was it 20 seconds? or 7 minutes something like that, 3 months? Didn't think they had brains but obviously they have to have some kind of one but minute one with very little grey matter!
    I either read it somewhere or was discussed on tv.

Lot of myths around goldfish, such as 7 second memories, they live in bowls, or they don't feel pain, or they only live 2 years.

They respond to clicker training, and remember lots of basic stuff, like what food tastes good, what stuff tastes bad, who feeds them, and what time they get fed at. Of course if they're kept in the right size tank, they'll exhibit this behaviour, if they're kept in bad water or a horrible environment, they'll be dull and listless, and won't interact.

Really? Hows it that they don't live very long?:confused:

That's one of the myths

Common goldfish (with single tails) can live upwards of 20 years, and normally grow to about a foot long.

Fancy goldfish with the roundy bodies and fancy tails normally live around 10 years, and grow to about 10 inches.

They most of their growing within the first few years of their life, so if they're kept in a bowl or a tank that's too small, their growth is stunted and they usually just die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In what does it look depressed?

If it weren't for the fish's tears the bowl would be empty.:(

ah I see. I've seen goldfish die after one day and after a few weeks/months and seen some live for years and get big in a pool outside there is a difference how they grow when in a pool compared to in a tank.

They don't do much, not much happens in their lives but why would they get down like that? Cooped up in a small tank maybe but in a big pool if they have more room to grow and swim they might not be too bad.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If it weren't for the fish's tears the bowl would be empty.:(

The crying Fishtank. To add to the crying chair.

Maybe the Earth is like a goldfish bowl.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Dunno. I've a huge pond out the back. They look quite happy in it. For what it's worth.

They probably happier in a pond!

A man down the pub just told me studies have shown goldfish have a memory span of three months, you learn something new every day eh?

Silverfish wrote: »
    Lot of myths around goldfish, such as 7 second memories, they live in bowls, or they don't feel pain, or they only live 2 years.

They respond to clicker training, and remember lots of basic stuff, like what food tastes good, what stuff tastes bad, who feeds them, and what time they get fed at. Of course if they're kept in the right size tank, they'll exhibit this behaviour, if they're kept in bad water or a horrible environment, they'll be dull and listless, and won't interact.

you are kinky about fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

A man down the pub just told me studies have shown goldfish have a memory span of three months, you learn something new every day eh?

I read that once before I think
    ah I see. I've seen goldfish die after one day and after a few weeks/months and seen some live for years and get big in a pool outside there is a difference how they grow when in a pool compared to in a tank.

Yeap Goldfish seem to have a thing where they can really restrict their growth dependent on the size of their environment. Odd to think that the only difference between the wee squirt in a fishbowl and the near foot long monster in the pond is where they ve lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

had a fish for over 6 years,he would start jumping out of the water of his tank when he knew he was being feed,like a dance of some sort...i love a good big,well kept fish tank,look unreaal in a room and unbelievably relaxing to look at!i used to leave my blinds in my room closed during the day so it would be real dark so i could turn the light on at night to watch them!great way to fall asleep!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

I think in general we underestimate the awareness of other organisms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Gauss wrote: »
    I think in general we underestimate the awareness of other organisms.

Yep, if it can't speak it doesn't have feelings seems to be the attitude of a lot of people.

I'm not a big animal welfare nut or anything, and I love a good steak, but when you look at the intelligence level of some animals, like gorillas, it makes you think they should have special rights under the law.

They can actually use language, just not verbally. They must be so depressed in zoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

darlett wrote: »
    I read that once before I think

Yeap Goldfish seem to have a thing where they can really restrict their growth dependent on the size of their environment. Odd to think that the only difference between the wee squirt in a fishbowl and the near foot long monster in the pond is where they ve lived.[/

it's the un/less diluted built up of hormones and waste in the fishbowl that stunts them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I had one repeatedly attempt suicide :(

How bloody shellfish of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement