Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euros accepted??

Options
  • 23-05-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Heading to portadown from dublin soon, are euros widely accepted? just gonna be browsing the shops and get pub grub and a pint, will have a couple of hours to kill...any tips advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Euros are accepted, but you wouldn't be getting good value for them whilst shopping. To be honest, I would just take out sterling from a PASS machine up here to get a much better exchange rate, or indeed pay for anything you get via chip and pin.

Enjoy your trip!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

agreed.

you'll get MUCH better value paying with plastic, even after being ripped off by the card company!!

I always get euros if I'm heading to a country that uses them... I don't understand why you would expect business to accept what is afterall a foreign currency.

in all the years since the punt broke parity with the pound (1979) I have never asked for sterling to be accepted in a shop/bar/garage in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I don't understand why you would expect business to accept what is afterall a foreign currency.
    Why wouldn't he as its been very much par for the course over a number of years where border towns and villages accept the currency of their respective "neigbours"

I have seen and heard various ads in papers and on radio about the euro being worth x amount in sterling or alternatively a certain percentage allowed on sterling. A large amount of shops will also have signs up on their windows displaying the rate also.

As a good example when you shop in Asda in Strabane you can pay in either sterling or euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yeah, OK, but they accept the other currency for two reasons....

one, to get the custom which is OK,

two, to totally screw the customer with an appauling exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

to totally screw the customer with an appauling exchange rate.
    Cant argue with that at times.

However some shops and indeed shopping centres (Foleside in Derry springs to mind) have promotions at times where they offer a much better exchange range compared to the banks so its always worth checking it out

• Advertisement
Advertisement