Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

I'm really looking forward to this.

As other posters have stated, it's very hard to find a good coffee after 6pm.

Webworkhouse is OK but always full.

There's a cafe on McCurtain street that stays open until midnight actually - CafeSpresso. Never been there tho. Anybody tried that place?

By the way, the 2nd Starbucks around Emmet Place - are they taking over the clothes shop Mego or Miego whatever it's called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Coffee Roasters new place on French Church Street is really nice but soooo small. They need a second floor of seating.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Coffee Roasters new place on French Church Street is really nice but soooo small. They need a second floor of seating.

It is really small yeah. Most of the time I just get coffee to go so seating doesn't bother me - but it's too small even for that! You have to be careful opening the front door in case you smash it off people queuing inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nomeban wrote: »
    It is really small yeah. Most of the time I just get coffee to go so seating doesn't bother me - but it's too small even for that! You have to be careful opening the front door in case you smash it off people queuing inside.

It's this sort of thing that annoys me, at least with the likes of the Satan's spawn chains like Starbucks they might consider the customer who might actually want to sit down and consume the product on the premises.

I've given up going to CCR on Bridge St. because it's just too crammed and zero chance of getting a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've given up going to CCR on Bridge St. because it's just too crammed and zero chance of getting a seat.

If it's always rammed, why should they change their model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

I think alot of the independent cafes do nicer food than the chains too. The drinks in Starbucks are ok, if a bit expensive, but their food is fairly bland and overpriced. Costa and Insomnia would even be better for food.

If it's always rammed, why should they change their model?

such a thing called reacting to customer's needs and in the face of stiff competition they may be sorry for not expanding to provide more comfortable facilities for their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

There's planning for a second Starbucks where the Mego store is across from TopShop at the end of Opera Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I8A4RE wrote: »
    There's planning for a second Starbucks where the Mego store is across from TopShop at the end of Opera Lane.

It's the brown brick Queen Anne house that was preserved as part of the Opera Lane development. Apparently a store called Kuyichi occupied the building before.

http://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2014/08/emmet-place-571x500.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Someone should link this thread to some of the smaller chain cafes, maybe they'll change their opening hours and find other suggestions to help them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's a beautiful building, delighted to hear it's being occupied!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

I some of the assertions made by local chains to be completely off the wall. Local chains operating in the hospitality business seem to think that they have some sort of God given right to succeed in business. There is nothing stopping any of these chains from opening in Seattle or anywhere else for that matter. If they are against "International chains stealing their business," then they should realise that there are over 3,000 people working for Apple in Cork, many of whom would spend money in their cafés, bars, restuarants etc. One or two of the "local independent bars" are also in reality local chains who see nothing wrong in maximising their profits, so why should they object when a bigger chain comes along? At the end of the day, it will be the customer who decides where to purchase the product and no one "owns" the market.

I some of the assertions made by local chains to be completely off the wall. Local chains operating in the hospitality business seem to think that they have some sort of God given right to succeed in business. There is nothing stopping any of these chains from opening in Seattle or anywhere else for that matter. If they are against "International chains stealing their business," then they should realise that there are over 3,000 people working for Apple in Cork, many of whom would spend money in their cafés, bars, restuarants etc. One or two of the "local independent bars" are also in reality local chains who see nothing wrong in maximising their profits, so why should they object when a bigger chain comes along? At the end of the day, it will be the customer who decides where to purchase the product and no one "owns" the market.

hear hear, agree 100%.
    All this chain bashing by 'local' businesses smacks of parochialism.

The local chains will be fine. The innovative, high quality and quirkier places survived Costa (which strangely doesn't attract the same level is panic as Starbucks despite the fact that it's far far more aggressivly rolled out)

Little island
    Blackpool
    Douglas
    UCC
    Merchants Quay
    Emmet Place
    Ballincollig
    Mallow

Starbucks expanded quite aggressively in Dublin before Costa did there. The good independent places, of which Dublin like Cork has many, are all doing fine!

Ireland has a strongly established modern coffee house sector. In many other markets Starbucks was the first that did that (including most of the US).

Starbucks is only one of many and a late arrival too.
    It's not something I'd see as a threat to Cork's very sophisticated & food oriented places.

If it pushes opening hours later, it'll be a really good thing.

Ireland's cafes never seemed to comprehend that people want an evening coffee venue.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Ireland's cafes never seemed to comprehend that people want an evening coffee venue.

The coffee shops will be the first to tell you, there is a massive drop off in coffee sales after about 3pm. I think yes, there is a demand for an alternative venue to pubs but I'm not sure if enough coffee would be sold to merit the extra costs associated with later opening for some of the existing cafes in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

hear hear, agree 100%.

Yeah, I mean it's not like Starbucks ever started out as being a small local business :D

The coffee shops will be the first to tell you, there is a massive drop off in coffee sales after about 3pm. I think yes, there is a demand for an alternative venue to pubs but I'm not sure if enough coffee would be sold to merit the extra costs associated with later opening for some of the existing cafes in Cork.

They'll have to change that culture though. If you provide things to attract people in, they'll come. There's also no expectation they'll be open so people don't go.

You'll always get a lull after lunch but you might get a peak again after work hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I some of the assertions made by local chains to be completely off the wall. Local chains operating in the hospitality business seem to think that they have some sort of God given right to succeed in business.

hear hear, agree 100%.

I hold no brief for locals but I'll stop bashing Starbucks when they pay some tax here. Did somebody say something about God-given rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Was there much displeasure when lets say, O'Briens or Costa opened in the City or am i missing something about Starbucks?

Was there much displeasure when lets say, O'Briens or Costa opened in the City or am i missing something about Starbucks?

You and the rest of us are missing a few bob in tax from Starbucks. It could do wonders for our hospitals.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    You and the rest of us are missing a few bob in tax from Starbucks. It could do wonders for our hospitals.

LOL. Why don't you start your protest across from this Starbucks office to Apple offices on half moon street..... but you know.
    BTW, what are Costa's tax affairs like?

LOL. Why don't you start your protest across from this Starbucks office to Apple offices on half moon street..... but you know.
    BTW, what are Costa's tax affairs like?

You mean they're all at it? It's ok then, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Getting lovely coffee's in newly opened place on Barrack St called Alchemy, lovely vibe and friendly staff. No reason for me to go to Starbucks really.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Getting lovely coffee's in newly opened place on Barrack St called Alchemy, lovely vibe and friendly staff. No reason for me to go to Starbucks really.
    Exactly, let the market decide. The sheep will always be led

feargale wrote: »
    You mean they're all at it? It's ok then, I guess.

Why pick on one though, Starbucks in this instance, and not all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Why pick on one though, Starbucks in this instance, and not all?

the thread title?

Dave147 wrote: »

Went in there when it opened, got a really nice cappuccino.

Visited again last week - cappucino was just milky coffee. No foam. Rubbish.

I won't be going there again as I know there's a 50/50 chance that the cappuccino will actually be a crappuccino.

That's one of the worst things about getting cappuccinos in Cork. There is no consistency. One week Cafe X is great, the next week they're shyte.

The ONLY place in Cork in my experience that consistently does excellent cappuccinos is Coffee Roasters on Bridge st.

Feck ... I sound like a snob don't I ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Went in there when it opened, got a really nice cappuccino.

Visited again last week - cappucino was just milky coffee. No foam. Rubbish.

I won't be going there again as I know there's a 50/50 chance that the cappuccino will actually be a crappuccino.

That's one of the worst things about getting cappuccinos in Cork. There is no consistency. One week Cafe X is great, the next week they're shyte.

The ONLY place in Cork in my experience that consistently does excellent cappuccinos is Coffee Roasters on Bridge st.

Feck ... I sound like a snob don't I ....

Why not mention it to the owner instead of not going back there? Might've been a new barista? Went in there for the first time last Friday, was in again Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. All coffees tasted great except the one I got yesterday was a bit smaller than the rest, I'll say it to whoever is on tomorrow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In fairness , you can get one iffy coffee anywhere.
    I'd give a place a fair chance (maybe 5 visits) before I wrote it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I wish they were nearer to me. On the up side, Filter is on my walk to/from town and they do great coffee too.

The thing about Starbucks (in my opinion at least) is a consistent service with a comfy, relaxed setting. A lot of the places around Cork may do great coffee but it's high stool seats in a cramped space or just a regular 2/4 chair & a table setup. It's very, "get in, get your coffee and go". Starbucks though usually have nice comfy low seats and a less "busy" layout. It just feels more like a place where you can sit and chill out for a few hours if you wanted. That's probably why they have better success in the evening.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with that space they are going into though. It's not the biggest of floorplans.

Advertisement