Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Ah here, Andy (Andrew) Cole missed the winning of three leagues that day. Ferguson could not legislate for that. You get trapped in that horrible place of telling yourself 'he's creating the openings, he'll get one and then he'll get three'. It didn't happen for Cole that day. Can't blame Ferguson.

Okay he has made worse calls than that but Hughes was one of my favourite players for United at the time and I thought he should have started that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have a different recollection of the game, seem to remember us being poor enough in the first half, trailing at half time, brings on Hughes for Butt and then we start to take control, toward the end it was a siege alright, maybe my memory is off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Whats the story on Gaitan? the papers said he is interested to talk with us. I don't believe in media hype but where would he fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

indeed, putting your own name on the back of a jersey, is deserving of a wedgie or a beating!!

up there with those people who buy half and half scarves. why on earth would you go to a game and wear a scarf that has your opposition colors on it?

there seems to be a huge anti half and half scarves trend growing momentum, everybody seems to be giving out about them these days.

I take it your joking but if anybody takes this approach to how or why a person wears a football jersey, or any item of clothing its sad indictment of modern football and society in general. I understand why you would be unwilling to wear a football jersey in public in fear that others may think this way and you could be on the end of a wedgie.

I can hardly believe the last couple of pages. Insults towards minorites and posters telling fellow football fans how wrong it is, or mentally incorrect it is to wear a football jersey. The mind truly boggles.

Its typical of the small town "look at yer man, who does he think he is" mentality of Irish society.

I wear UTD jerseys and other jerseys, not to take a stance in particular but because I like them, they are good for running etc and I'm of the mindset its only piece of cloth and not a prerequisite for hating or holding a grudge against another person.

If any item of clothing worn by another person promotes feelings of aggression or superiority in you (I'm making a generalisation here and not aiming this at you homerjay2005) then that says more about your thought process or anger managment issues than it does about the person wearing the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Oh it was one of Fergie's worse ever calls. I hope Sunday doesn't turn out like 1995, I'm a bit older now and so is my heart!

fergies worst ever call came last summer when he didnt spend 34million pounds on a central midfielder, but chose to buy on other positions instead!!

playing park in midfield against city and barcelona twice, are his others. sadly, all of them have been more costly than the next.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Whats the story on Gaitan? the papers said he is interested to talk with us. I don't believe in media hype but where would he fit in?

Media in Portugal seem to think it a done deal.

Nothing big from the press elsewhere though, who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The only reason I don't buy current replica kits is because they have sponsors names on them. But the fashion police thing going on here tonight is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

kryogen wrote: »
    Media in Portugal seem to think it a done deal.

Nothing big from the press elsewhere though, who knows
    Aye we shall see how it pans out after the season ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wear my United shirts all the time. Dont give a **** whether people like it or not.

I do find it weird to see say United fans wearing a random Barca top but its their choice and again it doesn't really bother me

I have jerseys from several clubs but the only English ones are United.If I like a shirt I wear it especially if it's unusual.
    A couple of years ago a couple of coach loads of us stopped at Chester on the way to OT and 90% of us bought Barca shirts because they were only a tenner in the Nike store.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

fergies worst ever call came last summer when he didnt spend 34million pounds on a central midfielder, but chose to buy on other positions instead!!

playing park in midfield against city and barcelona twice, are his others. sadly, all of them have been more costly than the next.

Without Jones, Young and De Gea, what would have happened when other players were injured during the season? Played the expensive midfielder in Defence, Goals or on the wing?

Or what would happen if the one Midfielder signed got injured? United would really have struggled then.

United should have signed a midfielder. If SAF could have signed Nasri or another midfielder he would have done so in addition to the other players bought. They were all signed in June so its fair to assume SAF had the chance to make further signings if he wished. Nasri for example didn't move till late August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

That United kit is the epitome of

3ops3b.jpg

But seriously, the amount of outrage over even wearing jerseys as an adult is baffling on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I take it your joking but if anybody takes this approach to how or why a person wears a football jersey, or any item of clothing its sad indictment of modern football and society in general. I understand why you would be unwilling to wear a football jersey in public in fear that others may think this way and you could be on the end of a wedgie.

let me guess, your one of those with "o connor 9" or "chops 23" on the back?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Glad we did not get Nasri. Not big fan.

miralize wrote: »
    That United kit is the epitome of

3ops3b.jpg

But seriously, the amount of outrage over even wearing jerseys as an adult is baffling on this thread.

At least we don't see this too often in OT.

newcastle-fans.jpg

Grown (a bit too much) men buying replica shirts and then get the urge to take them off in support of their team:confused:

With the reaction towards footballs kits in here tonight I'd better keep it quiet that I wear nothing but Armani shell suits and cravats most of the time..........

........oh crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Okay he has made worse calls than that but Hughes was one of my favourite players for United at the time and I thought he should have started that game.

Same. Never liked McClair for some unknown reason. Genuinely an irrational dislike of the chap.

With the reaction towards footballs kits in here tonight I'd better keep it quiet that I wear nothing but Armani shell suits and cravats most of the time..........

........oh crap.

Ah now, this is different. You're a big wheel outside the bookie shop, you've a rep to protect, pedestrians to intimidate. The shell suit is essential. I'd recommend a change to Sergio Tacchini It's what all the big players are wearing these days.

Now its been mentioned I had a strange dislike for McClair. I hated to see him near the team. Maybe it was because my Dad always gave out about him.

let me guess, your one of those with "o connor 9" or "chops 23" on the back?:p

Yes, I have both of those tattooed on my forehead also.

Sreiously though lads, its a bloody jersey, who are you to be handing out the cool points anyway :D

Whats the point of all this arguing eh ARE WE SO VAIN, ARE WE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Same. Never liked McClair for some unknown reason. Genuinely an irrational dislike of the chap.
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    Now its been mentioned I had a strange dislike for McClair. I hated to see him near the team. Maybe it was because my Dad always gave out about him.

+1 for the mystery disliking of McClair. Genuinely don't know why.

• Advertisement

Worst thing I saw regarding names on shirts was outside OT after a CL game.A Bayern fan was being kicked & punched while being called a Scouse Cunt etc. because he had Babel on the back of his Bayern jersey.How thick are some supporters not to realise that Babel used to play for Bayern.

McClair was/is a great servant to the club, can't say I share the dislike for him, turned in some great performances in his day :)

zerks wrote: »
    Worst thing I saw regarding names on shirts was outside OT after a CL game.A Bayern fan was being kicked & punched while being called a Scouse Cunt etc. because he had Babel on the back of his Bayern jersey.How thick are some supporters not to realise that Babel used to play for Bayern.

I caught hell many years ago for wearing a NY Rangers ice hockey jersey. Red, white, blue, Rangers on the front....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Look at this i am actually Scarleh for Des going out at night with his football shirt on .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77402452&postcount=28

Haha. Cole with his amazing detective skills. I love it.

kryogen wrote: »
    McClair was/is a great servant to the club, can't say I share the dislike for him, turned in some great performances in his day :)

I don't have a problem with him now. But when I was 7/8/9/10 years old I didn't consider things like how long he was at United. All i know is when he played it meant someone else didn't. Probably Keane or Cantona (?)

I have fond memories of him writing for the United magazine.

I caught hell many years ago for wearing a NY Rangers ice hockey jersey. Red, white, blue, Rangers on the front....

The travellers down here in Wexford wore Rangers shirts a while back,the only reason was that Lifestyle Sports were selling them off for a fiver and nobody else would buy them.:pac:

Ah now, this is different. You're a big wheel outside the bookie shop, you've a rep to protect, pedestrians to intimidate. The shell suit is essential. I'd recommend a change to Sergio Tacchini It's what all the big players are wearing these days.

When I step out of my pink cadilac and they see my Armani shell suit covered by a wool collared trench coat at the same time as I'm rocking the purple fedora with pink feather there is no need for me to protect any rep or to intimidate anydoby.

They know I'm the mac daddy and things are about to get serious.

Here is a cctv snapshot of my last visit to the bookies.

pimps_and_chuds.jpg

When I step out of my pink cadilac and they see my Armani shell suit covered by a wool collared trench coat at the same time as I'm rocking the purple fedora with pink feather there is no need for me to protect any rep or to intimidate anydoby.

They know I'm the mac daddy and things are about to get serious.

Here is a cctv snapshot of my last visit to the bookies.

pimps_and_chuds.jpg

Now that is a fly look, my friend!

Now that is a fly look, my friend!

You better believe it compadre. The only problem you got when you are top pimp and posses the blingest of the bling bling is that the honies be all over you. Sometimes I wish they would just back up, give me some room and let a player play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I have fond memories of him writing for the United magazine.

I remember the diary he used to write, and to be honest I always thought he came across as a bit of a loser. It was always the most inane crap about training, and how much running Eric Harrison would make him do, or about him going in to sign some charity footballs or something. He really came across as a Billy no-mates who would have no life at all if he wasn't at the cliff.

Being older now, I can appreciate that he probably was just writing in any old crap to fulfill his obligation to write a column, but still, it all seemed a but sad. Reminded me of the old trope of the retired guy who once ran the company, but now comes in to sweep the floors and get laughed at by all the new young employees because he has nothing else in his life.

On a totally related note, I have one of those magazines back in my folks old house, probably in a box somewhere, from about 1995/96 or so. On page five, in the gossip column down the right hand side reads the quote, (paraphrased)
    "United currently assessing young french prospect Patrick Viera"

Oh what could have been...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement