Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Thought you folks would like this, apolgises if already posted..

AqoPzc4CEAEqCnw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

McCarthy having another excellent game for Wigan against a big team tonight. I would seriously look at him as an option to compete with Carrick for a role in CM if any of the more desirable targets couldn't be gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't want to go around in circles here. My comments today are based on Gaitan (Or a similar type player) possibly signing and to me that type of signing is a positive.

I have no time for players that you wouldn't feel comfortable playing in a big game the day they are bought. Players like Anderson, Jones, Nani, were bought for potential but were good enough to play straight away and as it turned out they were needed in the first tea upon arrival at the club.

So were Hernandez and Smalling. Vidic and Evra took a while to get into it but worked out brilliantly for the club. You don't have to spend such huge sums on every purchase made. There's no need to spend £20m on Gaitan because he won't play the number 10 role better than Rooney is doing already.
    I agree with Mitch that United may be recruiting as part of an attempt to find a more effective way to play (Specifically in Europe).
    I think Mitch's theory is most likely too.

If we buy Gaitan for £20m in the summer and don't fix central midfield and left back it will be an inefficient spend imo. That's not to say that I think Gaitan will fail, I think he is a good player. I just don't think it would be the best way to improve the team.
    SK1979 wrote: »
    McCarthy having another excellent game for Wigan against a big team tonight. I would seriously look at him as an option to compete with Carrick for a role in CM if any of the more desirable targets couldn't be gotten.

He's okay defensively but not good enough to play instead of Carrick in that role. He'd be good cover for Scholes / competition for Cleverley though. Maybe in the future with more disciplined coaching he could develop an all round game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

-Ade- wrote: »

Danny Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck

Apology accepted ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

lordgoat wrote: »

Really? What are you basing this on? I've seen most of the ressie games this season and i don't think he's near the first team yet. I realise he has an appearance but i think a few sub appearances are the best he'll see next year. A loan to the lower league would do him well. He needs to get more physical imo.

No sure I've only seen some highlights of the reserves games. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for him to be promoted yet but should 3 strikers happen to leave this summer I think he could fill in as emergency cover up front, probably wouldn't see the pitch very much. In all honesty I'd prefer to play one striker and two advanced wingers if such a crisis were to occur.

I'm just calling our priorities where they lie i.e. Centre Midfield, and I think that's where money should be spent first and foremost even if we're left with just Rooney, Welbeck and Chico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RasTa wrote: »
    Is this Gaitan deal confirmed?

a work colleague of mine from portugal says its reported as all but done in portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Surely the club would confirm it on the website it it was actually done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

-Ade- wrote: »

AqoPzc4CEAEqCnw.jpg

Ryan Giggs' eldest lovechild?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

James Ducker ‏ @DuckerTheTimes
    Ignore the talk about United agreeing a deal with Benfica for Gaitan. It's utter horse**** #MUFC. City not interested either #MCFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Trilla wrote: »
    James Ducker ‏ @DuckerTheTimes
    Ignore the talk about United agreeing a deal with Benfica for Gaitan. It's utter horse**** #MUFC. City not interested either #MCFC

Almost sure Daniel Taylor said the same a few months a go when we were linked. Himself and James Ducker are probably the only 2 United based journalists I'd trust tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I really like McCarthy,a real tidy player who puts in a huge amount of work from box to box.He is a little off the class of player being linked to us but I can't say I'd be disappointed to see him in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't want to go around in circles here. My comments today are based on Gaitan (Or a similar type player) possibly signing and to me that type of signing is a positive.

I have no time for players that you wouldn't feel comfortable playing in a big game the day they are bought. Players like Anderson, Jones, Nani, were bought for potential but were good enough to play straight away and as it turned out they were needed in the first tea upon arrival at the club.

So were Hernandez and Smalling. Vidic and Evra took a while to get into it but worked out brilliantly for the club. You don't have to spend such huge sums on every purchase made. There's no need to spend £20m on Gaitan because he won't play the number 10 role better than Rooney is doing already.
    I agree with Mitch that United may be recruiting as part of an attempt to find a more effective way to play (Specifically in Europe).
    I think Mitch's theory is most likely too.

If we buy Gaitan for £20m in the summer and don't fix central midfield and left back it will be an inefficient spend imo. That's not to say that I think Gaitan will fail, I think he is a good player. I just don't think it would be the best way to improve the team.

He's okay defensively but not good enough to play instead of Carrick in that role. He'd be good cover for Scholes / competition for Cleverley though. Maybe in the future with more disciplined coaching he could develop an all round game.

Point taken re McCarthy. I do think that he has changed his game this season and plays far more defensively. IMO he could be a good 'cheapish' buy that would provide good competition / back up to Carrick. Obviously there are far better options (M'villa or Martinez to name two) that we should be targeting.

About getting a 'number 10', I'm not so sure. In a way if Berba, Owen and Macheda leave I think I'd prefer another striker brought in. Although if we were looking for that guy who could maybe play wide, then my favourite would be Munain.

I don't necessarily agree with prioritizing left back in the summer. While Evra has been abject for large parts of the season its simply laziness on his part. It's not a problem that can't be rectified (with a kick up the hole) and IMO he's been good the past few weeks. Getting Clyne in as cover should be enough.

Tl;dr focus all our money on getting in a CM who is good enough to slot into the first 11 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I really don't think McCarthy is good enough, or ever will be for a side like United. He ain't a bad player, but wouldn't really want to sign him. He'd probably cost a decent amount but Fellaini if we were staying with a 4-4-2 would probably be worth going for. He's young, good on the ball, puts in a lot of effort around the pitch and I think would work nicely alongside Carrick in midfield in the PL or as part of a 3 man midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Ryan Giggs' eldest lovechild?

Nah, it's an 8 year old photo, that's Danny Welbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Point taken re McCarthy. I do think that he has changed his game this season and plays far more defensively. IMO he could be a good 'cheapish' buy that would provide good competition / back up to Carrick. Obviously there are far better options (M'villa or Martinez to name two) that we should be targeting.

He is playing more defensively, but he does too much standing and watching rather than seeing out the danger imo. I wouldn't want to trust him to be the defensive guy to go beside Scholes or whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

McCarthy on his way to United for a medical...

You-Shall-Not-Pass.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Keno 92 wrote: »
    McCarthy on his way to United for a medical...

You-Shall-Not-Pass.jpg

You should have used the DeGandalf one from a few pages back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Glazers are planning to reactivate the IPO sales plan after markets improved,they plan to raise $1 billion from the scheme.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/15/manchesterutd-ipo-idUKL6E8FF0UI20120415?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=ipoNews&rpc=401

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

kryogen wrote: »
    I reckon, and dont take this the wrong way, its because like me, most people dont actually want to see Scholes needed next year!
    That's a fair opinion, but I he doesn't have to be needed to play in our first team. By all means, we could buy any culmination of midfielders in the Summer; anyone from Javi Martínez to Nicolás Gaitán, even Mario Götze if we feel that floats our boat, and I'll still have wee Scholesy starting. It's not because he's needed, it's because he's awesome!

I love Eric Cantona and he won trophies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wrong thread but I love it anyway

Nailz wrote: »
    That's a fair opinion, but I he doesn't have to be needed to play in our first team. By all means, we could buy any culmination of midfielders in the Summer; anyone from Javi Martínez to Nicolás Gaitán, even Mario Götze if we feel that floats our boat, and I'll still have wee Scholesy starting. It's not because he's needed, it's because he's awesome!

I agree, no problem with him being around, but he was absolutely needed this season and that is not a situation I want again next season, wont hold my breath though!

zerks wrote: »
    The Glazers are planning to reactivate the IPO sales plan after markets improved,they plan to raise $1 billion from the scheme.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/15/manchesterutd-ipo-idUKL6E8FF0UI20120415?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=ipoNews&rpc=401

Was expected soon enough anyway wasnt it?

Ill wait and hold judgement till I know more about it, all you can hope is the money raised will go into the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love to see us get that debt down its fooking too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will hold off judgement on what it would actually mean for United until the IPO offering is made, as within the offering will be a breakdown of what is planned for the money raised, and it is legally binding. So hopefully it will state they are going to pay off the Bond with the money raised. Hopefully.

Without the Bond, we are in an excellent financial position, and would be in a great position with regards to FFP and having money available to sign players based on our turnover/profits.

IMO, the IPO is the best, and possibly only, way of dealing with the Bond issue, so it seems like a no brainer to me to do this and wipe off the debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I love Eric Cantona and he won trophies

sure he is over rated, Irwin is a poor mans ashley cole, Stam was rubbish and scholes is not good enough to be considered in the prem 11.

ah yes, another standard day in the bitter world that is not being a united fan.

Irwin is a poor mans ashley cole
    Please tell me someone didn't say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In the art of being a cnut,Irwin is light years behind Cashley.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

oh yes it was in there. i liked our 12 cantonas...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fenix wrote: »
    You post a vid entitled "Ashley Young is a diving wanker" in the utd super thread, and chalk it down to banter. Alright.

Ya banter alright. We've got a real live wire here eh?

And by live wire i mean 'incessant bore' (Not you Fenix)

Team I'd like to see take on Everton
    De Gea
    Raf Rio Evans Evra
    Val Scholes Carrick Nani
    Rooney Berbatov

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

De Gea
    Raf Rio Evans Evra
    Val Scholes Carrick Nani
    Rooney Berbatov

For me, the team that started vs Aston Villa should start every game for the rest of the season, with Nani possibly in for Young. The other 10 though, stick with them every game.

Yes, Welbecks inclusion could be questionable given his finishing standards, but I think his work rate and build up play is vital to us - we missed it (and the hustle and workrate of rafael) against Wigan imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

For me, the team that started vs Aston Villa should start every game for the rest of the season, with Nani possibly in for Young. The other 10 though, stick with them every game.

Yes to this. Although knowing Fergie he will do something daft for the city away game. :) Park back in perhaps

Scholes has to start the rest of the games. Giggs has to always start on the bench, never first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yup. I felt that was our best XI from the players available with maybe Nani in for Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on Ashley Young? .

Not as good as Nani or Valencia, so shouldn't have been bought for 18 million.

His crossing is very poor at times also and hes inconsistent.

But otherwise, hes been quite good.

• Advertisement

De Gea
    Raf Rio Evans Evra
    Val Scholes Carrick Nani
    Rooney Berbatov

Welbeck will get the nod and so will Young more than likely. SAF seems to have settled on him and Valencia out wide for the run in with Nani as an impact sub. That might change though.

The players and fans need to treat the Everton game as a cup final. If we fail, it just puts a whole lot of unnecessary pressure on us going into the City game.

Just win.

Im still not convinced by Ashely Young.

He's been a good buy, but Nani and Valencia are still our top 2 wingers.

His diving has been embarrassing but that is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Nani on the right is a completely different player to Nani on the left in my opinion, on the right he was much less inclined to cut in and play a through ball or hit row Z, and his crossing was genuinely improving! However I honestly don't think anyone could displace Valencia on the right wing for us.

On the left Nani is a completely different player, cuts in a lot more on to his preferred right and we all know how fond his is of a shot on the edge of the box, but the delivery is limited somewhat, with Evra suppling most of the ball on the overlap.

So overall I'd say that while, Valencia and Nani are our strongest wingers, I would go with Valencia on the right and Young a better option than Nani on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I really hope SAF has had a very firm word in his ear over the recent penalty incidents.

Nani on the right is a completely different player to Nani on the left in my opinion, on the right he was much less inclined to cut in and play a through ball or hit row Z, and his crossing was genuinely improving! However I honestly don't think anyone could displace Valencia on the right wing for us.

On the left Nani is a completely different player, cuts in a lot more on to his preferred right and we all know how fond his is of a shot on the edge of the box, but the delivery is limited somewhat, with Evra suppling most of the ball on the overlap.

So overall I'd say that while, Valencia and Nani are our strongest wingers, I would go with Valencia on the right and Young a better option than Nani on the left.

Good point, but just personal preference would be Nani for me on left.

I just have more faith in Nani to do something special and produce the good performance then over Young.

• Advertisement

I really hope SAF has had a very firm word in his ear over the recent penalty incidents.

Ya I agree. There comes I time when it gets embarrassing and this has come in the case of Young.

I'd say he has, but it's more than likely along the lines of ''well done, son''

Make no mistake about it, managers tell their players to go down under minimal contact in the box. Privately, SAF or any other manager will not give a flying **** about their own players diving if it's to the advantage of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I am a bit fond of his shots on the edge of the box aswell to be fair!

He may be a bit like Fulton Reed of The Mighty Ducks, but you've got to be willing to take the shot and miss in order to score some crackers like Nani does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Young was a really good signing.

Nani and Valencia are ahead of him in the current pecking order, fair enough.

But Young has scored some quality goals and played in some nice assists. Considering he missed a large chunk of the season through injury he has made a significant contribution to the current points total.

I also think the things he brings to the team were well worth the reported 18million fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

My big worry with young going down easy is the increased chance that a ref won't give a legitimate penalty. It could be vital in the games on the run in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    "Wait and see, minimal contact, and now that is the ONLY thing anyone will talk about from this game."

This was also my reaction to both his dives. They overshadow that fact that we were strolling both games, and would have beaten QPR and Villa regardless. People talk about Youngs dives as if they actually made a massive difference to the result, when the reality is the goals were coming anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

This was also my reaction to both his dives. They overshadow that fact that we were strolling both games, and would have beaten QPR and Villa regardless. People talk about Youngs dives as if they actually made a massive difference to the result, when the reality is the goals were coming anyway.

I agree with this but we shouldn't be giving them a reason to whine.

Eathrin wrote: »
    I agree with this but we shouldn't be giving them a reason to whine.

They'd just find something else to whine about. They always do.

Not sure if this is posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

You guys have been very receptive to my articles. I was wondering what you guys made of this:

http://gkfootball.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-cant-win-anything-with-kids.html

Also thanks to VW 1 who went over it for me and made several helpful suggestions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement