Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activision buying take two

Options
  • 12-02-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

hey guys just stumbled upon this :mad: if this happens im going to be mighty pissed, here comes modern gta....fare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

cant believe no one is discussing this :o this is horrendously terrible news for gaming this sums up my feelings quite nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I'll be honest I never enjoyed GTA 4, compared to vice city and san andreas it was dull and grey.
    There's nothing to say that the next one won't be amazing but at least if the pot gets stirred it may change for the better. Plus if cods manual targeting system would be good instead of the auto aim targeting the nearest civilian in a gun fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmm really can't see any good coming of this, their market strategy seems to be to flog a title to death rather than innovate or do anything new with it.

Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Call Of Duty..........

i loved gta 4 :D one of greatest technical achievements this gen is to see liberty city in sp with all the little details, also really like rdr sp, bioshock, civilization V the list goes on and on, the thing about activision is that there CEO has been seen/heard and documented saying that he will bleed an ip dry for cash, they ran tony hawks into the ground as well as guitar hero (i mean just look at CoD it really hasnt advanced from cod 4 and yet we have had two (or is it three?) games since )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

i loved gta 4 :D one of greatest technical achievements this gen is to see liberty city in sp with all the little details, also really like rdr sp, bioshock, civilization V the list goes on and on, the thing about activision is that there CEO has been seen/heard and documented saying that he will bleed an ip dry for cash, they ran tony hawks into the ground as well as guitar hero (i mean just look at CoD it really hasnt advanced from cod 4 and yet we have had two (or is it three?) games since )

Agree they just ram out anything for Christmas, finished or not, sequel after sequel, garbage after garbage. Almost as bad as EA, in fact worse than EA.

• Advertisement

Agree they just ram out anything for Christmas, finished or not, sequel after sequel, garbage after garbage. Almost as bad as EA, in fact worse than EA.

lets be honest (im no fan of EA especially after them acuiring bioware :mad: just waiting to see if DA2 is a rushed for money game) ea have come on a long way this gen, some real great games from them/their partners as for activision the last game that was any good from them was cod 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm it looks to me that they know that "Activision" is starting to fail and Blizzard and COD are the only things holding them afloat, buying Take Two would be a great way to gain some more revenue albeit for a short time as they'll run Take Two's IPs into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

didnt EA try this a while ago and failed TBH dont see activision pulling this one off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

This would be AWFUL, but I don't see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 81,839 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

World of Carcrash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Tbh, if EA failed in first buying, and then a hostile takeover, I don't see Activision being able to either.

Nevore wrote: »
    Tbh, if EA failed in first buying, and then a hostile takeover, I don't see Activision being able to either.

yeah except activision have a lot more money than ea (i presume since they are getting all the revenue from cod and lets not forget wow)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I'm not sure if the shareholders would really go through with this. First, there was the EA situation. Second, the discontinuation of Guitar Hero is pretty much more than enough ammo for the shareholders to throw at Acti. But bare in mind everyone, this is still a rumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

I hope to Christ they don't succeed.
    GTA 47: Modern Prostitution 5 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

yeah except activision have a lot more money than ea (i presume since they are getting all the revenue from cod and lets not forget wow)

Activision took in $1.2billion in the last quarter of 2010 while Ea did $0.9 billion, blizzard did release a wow expansion in December so i'd say a lot went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

How much of those two figures were net profits though?

How much of those two figures were net profits though?

Activision it was $141m so 11%
    EA $30m and 3.3%.

Activision may not have as good a year in 2011 with IW bailing and delaying a new cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

gizmo wrote: »

this is the rational reaction to this rumor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I am sick of activision with there low quality games such as call of duty and having to pay for content already on the game disk. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrm. World of Warcraft. Online GTA?

Imagine entire hoards gangs going on raids with freakish horse things cars, shooting other people, GTA style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

the_syco wrote: »
    Hrm. World of Warcraft. Online GTA?

Imagine entire hoards gangs going on raids with freakish horse things cars, shooting other people, GTA style?

So pretty much what anyone does when they play it but with other people doing the same.

The bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Varik wrote: »
    Activision may not have as good a year in 2011 with IW bailing and delaying a new cod.
    IW are back making the next CoD just with cuts to certain staff. Apparently its sledgehammer making the next singleplayer with IW making the multiplayer. Haven't been following to see if the release was delayed but they could just put out a half finished game in November and people will still buy it making it the biggest selling game of the year.

CoD has turned into the apple ipod of the gaming community, even though its rarely better than its predecessor it will still sell more than any game on the market, pretty sad since allot of companies will try to emulate what activision are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

CoD has turned into the apple ipod of the gaming community, even though its rarely better than its predecessor it will still sell more than any game on the market, pretty sad since allot of companies will try to emulate what activision are doing

In the long run though, Activision will learn how stupid they are.
    Look at Guitar Hero for an indication.
    The bottom will fall out eventually.

Jet Black wrote: »
    IW are back making the next CoD just with cuts to certain staff. Apparently its sledgehammer making the next singleplayer with IW making the multiplayer. Haven't been following to see if the release was delayed but they could just put out a half finished game in November and people will still buy it making it the biggest selling game of the year.

The studio has the same name but the majority of them left already so activision had to rebuild them.

They would not want to do that as keeping the brand to some standard is worth a lot.

Year on year profits aren't really an indication of their ability or not, I'd be more interested in their cash reserves since no one these days is going to front them the whole couple of billion they'll need.

Nevore wrote: »
    Year on year profits aren't really an indication of their ability or not, I'd be more interested in their cash reserves since no one these days is going to front them the whole couple of billion they'll need.

To answer your question they have of 2.85 billion dollars cash at hand, currently residing and filling a large tower with a $ on it in kotick backyard.

Varik wrote: »
    To answer your question they have of 2.85 billion dollars cash at hand, currently residing and filling a large tower with a $ on it in kotick backyard.
    We're fúcked so.

• Advertisement

Take Two are very big, and last year they made a profit in a non-gta year.

$1,159m Total Revenue
    $49.7m net income

Advertisement