Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 24: Chilli!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. Okay, bastardised version, but still, bastard chilli >>> no chilli.

Pickling onion left whole? Er, no. You want the onion for its aromatics not just the texture, so you want a fresh onion and you need it chopped to let it sweat down - a whole onion isn't going to sweat down, at best it'd be pan-roasted. Not bad, but nothing to do with chilli. Seriously though, there are almost no cooked dishes in the world that aren't made with onions, so worrying about leftover onions isn't something to do :)

Bean mix or red kidney beans is fine; some folk leave them out alltogether, some (like me) are sick of red kidney beans in chilli every. single. time. and prefer new, exciting, different beans (hell, for a while there this recipe used seven different kinds of beans - black, pinto, butter, azuki, haricot, black-eyed peas and chickpeas) :D But it's personal taste. Just as long as you don't use a can of baked beans, that is.

Ketchup is not the same as puree. In a pinch, use the same amount, but you'll get a different taste, and to be honest, an inferior one. You get small amounts of ketchup in long-braised meat sauces in italian-american cooking, it's true, and it's nice there, but this isn't italian-american cooking :D If you don't want to get tomato puree, leave it out altogether. Originally, chilli had no tomatoes in it at all anyway, and even here, it's more a small supporting cameo than a lead role.

Crushed tortillas are good, but grind them down fine in the mortar and pestle and give them time to hydrate in the stew and soften. Put them in immediately after opening the pressure cooker and let them simmer for a lot longer than in the recipe afterwards. And for the love of coffee, don't buy flavoured doritos. They'll work for texture, but your chilli will taste like someone dropped flavoured doritos into it...

If you're only adding a little beef mince by the way, just use whatever you have to hand or would normally buy - or even better, if you have a mincer, just get a little extra of the chopped beef and mince that.

Your spices are missing chilli powder (which isn't powdered chilli, but has a number of other spices in the mix). If you're worried you'll only use it for this, don't; you can add it to a lot of things because it's a spice mix. Sprinkle it lightly on chicken before grilling, or add a quarter-teaspoon to a stirfry for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sparks wrote: »
    Pickling onion left whole? Er, no. You want the onion for its aromatics not just the texture, so you want a fresh onion and you need it chopped to let it sweat down - a whole onion isn't going to sweat down, at best it'd be pan-roasted. Not bad, but nothing to do with chilli. Seriously though, there are almost no cooked dishes in the world that aren't made with onions, so worrying about leftover onions isn't something to do :)
    lol, sorry I wasn't suggesting pickling onions whole as I'd be worries about using them. I stick onion in everything.
    I was suggesting pickling onions/shallots as I like the flavour, plus they'd add to the chunkiness of the dish. I'd pan roast them before adding.
    Might even add diced regular, plus whole chunky ones
    Bean mix or red kidney beans is fine; some folk leave them out alltogether, some (like me) are sick of red kidney beans in chilli every. single. time. and prefer new, exciting, different beans (hell, for a while there this recipe used seven different kinds of beans - black, pinto, butter, azuki, haricot, black-eyed peas and chickpeas) :D But it's personal taste. Just as long as you don't use a can of baked beans, that is.
    Red, haricot, butter, chickpeas is the mix I often buy, so will be that prob
    Crushed tortillas are good, but grind them down fine in the mortar and pestle and give them time to hydrate in the stew and soften. Put them in immediately after opening the pressure cooker and let them simmer for a lot longer than in the recipe afterwards. And for the love of coffee, don't buy flavoured doritos. They'll work for texture, but your chilli will taste like someone dropped flavoured doritos into it...
    lol, was never going to be doritos, they have there place but that cheesey powder coating would go funny, plain unflavoured all the way.
    If you're only adding a little beef mince by the way, just use whatever you have to hand or would normally buy - or even better, if you have a mincer, just get a little extra of the chopped beef and mince that.
    Dont eat mince too often, so i'll just get a handfull of steak mince from the butcher
    Your spices are missing chilli powder (which isn't powdered chilli, but has a number of other spices in the mix). If you're worried you'll only use it for this, don't; you can add it to a lot of things because it's a spice mix. Sprinkle it lightly on chicken before grilling, or add a quarter-teaspoon to a stirfry for examples.
    Must of forgot to list that one. Have it already.
    My spice rack consists of chilli powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin & peppercorns - Wouldn't take a genius to figure out I like hot & spicy food, don't bother with herbs or similar much. I'll use the thyme up easily though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sorry for bumping again but just to close up
    its on the bubble as i type
    double checked the list and dunno how i missed ginger the first time around, picked up ginger and jalepenos today, and by chance came across star anise
    leaving it simmer for a few hours while i pop to the beach for a swim, thanks sparks for detailed step by step

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I finally have the anchos and chipotles on order. Should be making this at the weekend!
    I have a mincer and can't decide between beef and lamb mince or whether to use a lean or slightly fattier cut.

Start with the beef mince I'd say pick; lamb mince is nice, but a bit strange at first. And if you're mincing, use a slightly fattier cut (rib mince is about as good as I've found). Leaner mince just doesn't contribute as much flavour and it burns too easily. You want leanish chunks and fatty mince.

• Advertisement

Finally got my chilis delivered and am going to do this tonight!
    I have to say it's a bit hard to pick out the full list of ingredients from your recipe - I read it through five times to make sure I'd written down everything. So hungry now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Finally got my chilis delivered and am going to do this tonight!
    I have to say it's a bit hard to pick out the full list of ingredients from your recipe - I read it through five times to make sure I'd written down everything. So hungry now! :D

Was thinking the same thing myself. A full ingredients list would be nice. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ask and you shall receive. nice1franko was good enough to list the ingredients here. I'll edit the OP and put a link in if Sparks doesn't mind.

It is on! The pressure cooker is just beginning to whistle. 90 minutes seems like ages. I couldn't tell what size of kind of beer that was in the photo so I lashed in 50cl of Heineken.
    I also didn't realise how little chipotle in adobo I'd be using (it kicks all kinds of arse, I have to say!) and it came in a ring-pull tin, so I'm not sure how or how long to store the rest.

I must go make something for the under-4s to eat; this seems like too much of a baptism of fire for little mouths unused to chili :D

I ran out of liquid after 75 minutes so I didn't get to thicken up the sauce and the beans were still a bit hard. I must add water or use a bigger bottle of beer next time, maybe a brown Belgian instead of the Heineken. It was very good other than that and just the right level of spicy. I chickened out of adding a second bird's eye to the ancho, poblano, chipotle and guajillo or I would have ended up eating 2 kilos all on my own!

• Advertisement

Just to add, the chili was way better the next day with a top up of water and a half hour' extra cooking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Chilli is ALWAYS better the next day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I keep revisiting this.

Discovered a store in Johnston Street, Melbourne, this week, called Casa Iberica.

It's a good spot for buying dried chilis.

Subsequently, using Sparks original premise of the mixed meats, black beans from dried, beer as liquid and various spices, I've a chili on the go today that substitutes Minder's Ancho and Chipotle Sauce for the chipotle sauce in the original recipe (as posted previously - it really is that good to use it). There's onion and garlic in the sauce Minder makes so I've also left out additional onions and garlic. However I managed to get a packet of chopped serrano ham from the deli so that's gone in instead of the bacon. The ginger is also out.

Everything else is pretty much exactly the same.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out - but god I love this dish. (And apologies to Sparks if I'm apparently constantly bastardising it!!)

No worries there Sweeper, chilli's not a prissy dish :) I'm just glad people are enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I am cooking this today and I cant wait, yum, yum. I have cooked it once before but this time I will freeze lots for later. The boy will be home soon from his JC exam for a big bowl of chili, thank you so much I love this recipe.

You're welcome, glad you liked it! :)

I raided Tesco on Monday, and went to Fallon & Byrne last night to get the Chipotle Chilli's in Adobo sauce. Turns out they've changed the packaging on it since that photo of it was taken! Anyways, it has some taste.

Made this last night, took me around 4 or 4.5 hours in total. But was totally worth it. I left out some of the spicier items (as well as going beanless) as I really wanted to get the girlfriend into some spicier food. But anyways, the results are below. Plus herself left for work earlier stuffed full of it :D

IMAG0185_thumb_1.jpg

IMAG0186_thumb.jpg

And, eh... ignore the stains on the stove! It needs a clean.

Another excellent recipe Sparks, nice one.

Glad you liked it Donal, and well done on going beanless, ye purist ye :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Dónal wrote: »
    I raided Tesco on Monday, and went to Fallon & Byrne last night to get the Chipotle Chilli's in Adobo sauce. Turns out they've changed the packaging on it since that photo of it was taken!

Aaarrrghhh. I went into F&B recently while in the big schmoke to pick up some of the sauce and they appeared to have none. I even asked one of the girls working and she had a quick look then stated they'd none. Must have just missed it.

Aaarrrghhh. I went into F&B recently while in the big schmoke to pick up some of the sauce and they appeared to have none. I even asked one of the girls working and she had a quick look then stated they'd none. Must have just missed it.

I showed one of the guys the picture that Sparks put up, and he found it for me!

Here's a pic of the new packaging...

IMAG0189_thumb.jpg

IMAG0191_thumb_1.jpg

... I prefer the previous packaging, the new one just looks a bit... plain. And reminds me of jam actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Oh hai!

A little advice please, I bought a bag of dried chili's in F&B before christmas and I see little creatures* crawling about in there :O
    Should I take them back? Anyone ever had animals in their chilis?!

*flies or something

Well, a) KILL IT WITH FIRE and b) no, never seen that before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I was thinking of cooking this in the slow cooker. I don't really have a pan heavy enough to cook something for hours and hours.

Would that work? I figure I would do all the browning and mixing in a pan and then bung everything into the slow-cooker and leave it there for the day.

I've done it in the slow cooker before; works well, but you have to brown everything off in the pan first and then just do the simmering bit in the slow cooker, and you're talking 8-12 hours on low (low in my large russell hobbs slow cooker; your milage may vary).

Cooked this today. I started it in the pan and then transferred to my slow cooker for about 6 hours.
    I forgot to add the adobo as the recipe stated but I remembered in time to bung it in with the browning mince.
    I left the star anise in for the entire cooking period but I was kinda sorry because I could smell it overpowering the rest of the chilli almost. Maybe it was just my nose because it didn't taste overpowering.

The chilli itself was excellent! Boyfriend and housemate loved it. It went down really well and was described by my boyfriend as "a hug for my tongue!" The chilli was totally different to how I've always known chilli, really good. I sorta want to but adobo into everything now. :pac:
    The meat chunks turned out a little tough but I suspect that's my fault, I think I browned the pieces too much.

Good work Sparks! Can't wait for your next stint on the Cooking Club. :pac:

reallyrose wrote: »
    I sorta want to but adobo into everything now. :pac:
    I did warn you :D
    The meat chunks turned out a little tough but I suspect that's my fault, I think I browned the pieces too much.
    Nope, unless you incinerated them, that wouldn't make them tough. You just needed to cook them for a bit longer. The theory is simple enough - cook the chilli for long enough for the collagen in the meat to convert to gelatin (that gives the "hug for the tongue" sensation), but by that time the meat itself is well overcooked anyway. So there's a window there where you can have cooked it for long enough to get the meat to doneness, but not long enough for the collagen to have all converted to gelatin, and in that window the meat chunks will taste tough. Try cooking for another two or three hours (heck, even pop the leftover chilli back in the slow cooker for that long and it should be okay).
    Good work Sparks! Can't wait for your next stint on the Cooking Club. :pac:
    Thanks - have an idea or two, but it's not till August (which is good, as it gives junior enough time to arrive and get into a rythym so we can spend more time cooking again by the time it rolls round! :D )

Cool, I'll put the rest back on for a bit.

On a side and off topic note. I had a go at making tortillas. I mean, I had the masa harina. So why not!

I made an ARSE of them. They were heavy and weirdly textured. Sorta doughy. Most of my attempts either broke apart or didn't 'puff'.

Have you made them before? Any tips?

Never made them - always figured there are some things I'm happy to let others make :D
    There's a really good Good Eats episode about making them from scratch though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

I borrowed a slow cooker to see if it could be successfully added to our culinary repertoire but after 2 disastrous attempts at porridge and some curry recipe that came with the slow cooker(30 years old but excellent thermodynamics) I happened across this recipe.

Sweet sufferin' lantern hour of jebus - but this is the definitive, the benchmark against which all others will be measured to my dying day. Sparks, you Sir will be forever more be mentioned, nay, revered in the same manner as the great recipe introducers in this house.

This recipe has gone to the front of the old and tattered but utterly invaluable recipes to remember folder. Muchos, muchos gracias.

*OTT ?- maybe. Best Chilli I ever tasted - absa-feckin-loutely!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Been meaning to get a good chilli recipe for a while now, and after reading this whole thread, I really want to make this! Will start gathering the stuff needed, but will be a week or two before I get to try it properly! Can't wait! :D

Advertisement