Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

daithijjj wrote: »
    Some journo on talkpsort just said AVB has already been to Boston to meet owners. AVB also spotted in Brazil recently, as in last few days, scouting. Didnt suggest it was for LFC, just saying it.

He's been heavily linked to Roma in the last month in the Italian press. Similar situation - disappointing season, big expectations from fans, US owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

He's been heavily linked to Roma in the last month in the Italian press. Similar situation - disappointing season, big expectations from fans, US owners.

Our owners and Roma owners have connections, thats probably why we play Roma in a friendly at Fenway on 25th July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭doc_17

Can't believe Martinez is being talked of so highly. 2nd favourite. Rafa at 8/1 4th favourite. Please take Rafa back.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Purslow on Radio 5, asked who should replace Kenny, his response; "Capello or RAFA"

He bloody sacked Rafa! The football world is mental

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

doc_17 wrote: »
    Can't believe Martinez is being talked of so highly. 2nd favourite. Rafa at 8/1 4th favourite. Please take Rafa back.

i cant believe rafa is being talked of so highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

koppy wrote: »
    i cant believe rafa is being talked of so highly.

Manager

Real Madrid U-19s
    Spain U-19 League (1): 1993
    Spain U-19 Cup (2): 1991, 1993

Extremadura
    Segunda División Promotion (1): 1997–98

Tenerife
    Segunda División (1): 2000–01

Valencia
    La Liga (2): 2001–02, 2003–04
    UEFA Cup (1): 2003–04

Liverpool
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2004–05
    FA Cup (1): 2005–06
    FA Community Shield (1): 2006
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 2005

Internazionale
    Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2010
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2010

might have something got to do with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Would love to see us go after Sturridge if AVB gets the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

doc_17 wrote: »

So many conflicting reports on who FSG are looking at.

From BBC :
    Intermediaries acting for the club have spoken with Andre Villas-Boas, but he is unlikely to get the job.
    Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is also not thought to be in the running

From the Guardian :
    André Villas-Boas, the former Chelsea manager, Jürgen Klopp of Borussia Dortmund and Marseille's Didier Deschamps are among the candidates to succeed Dalglish
    FSG are believed to want a manager with title-winning experience, and who can lead Liverpool long-term, to replace Dalglish. That criteria would appear to rule out Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic. Another bookmakers' favourite, former Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez, is unlikely to be in the frame.

Looking at the money wagered on AVB yesterday he was cut from 14/1 to 15/8. I just hope they have their guy picked out and lets just get this over with ASAP.

Current odds if anyone interested :

lfcmanagerodds.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

djPSB wrote: »

They wouldn't let him go. Anyway, i genuinely think he's overrated myself. We'd have to really overpay for the guy, i'd prefer to look abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

djPSB wrote: »

With Drogba likely out of contract and Lukaka heading to Bremen on loan, they'll only have Torres and Sturridge on their books as far as strikers go. Can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Would love to see Murhinio. A 3 way bitching match between him, Fergie and Manchini would be brilliant.

They wouldn't let him go. Anyway, i genuinely think he's overrated myself. We'd have to really overpay for the guy, i'd prefer to look abroad.

To be perfectly honest, and i know it sounds mad with them in a CL final, but imho that dressing room is fractured. There are a group who play and a group who put up with the circus and pick up a pay cheque. I think Sturidge is in the group that is disillusioned.

Earlier in the season, when City played at Chelsea, Mancini said....

"I asked him last year, 'Why did you leave Manchester City?' and he said he doesn't know. It was strange, because someone let him out of the club. For sure he was one of the best young players that was here. Sometimes it's difficult with a young player,but it was not difficult to see if Sturridge was a good player. If he was here today he'd be in the first team."

That comment was made in December and on his current form.

While im not saying he is the answer, id just like to point out how he flourished at Bolton in a team without the circus and stable selections. Not saying he would leave Chelsea either but i wouldnt dismiss the player altogether, he is only 22 like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

This is all very exciting isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Morzadec wrote: »

very-cute-puppy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

excitementy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The last couple of days have been more entertaining than most of our home games this season.

Have mixed feelings about Kenny at the moment....he did an unbelievable job picking up the pieces after Hodgson. In hindsight, if he had stepped aside in the summer it probably would have been the best for all involved.

Major test now for FSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague
    About next LFC manager. Agree with most,Rafa and also AVB would be for different reasons good for the club. But neither have been approached

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

@LFC: Ian Ayre on Kenny and the future: http://t.co/ZZm2QdI3

I'm sorry but that interview is full of waffle and concerns me .

In one breath he is saying there is a plan in place, in the background, conducted the "Liverpool way " for months now, and in another he says that they need to identify managerial targets first.

Bullshít I say .

As I said yesterday FSG are either extremely smart or extremely stupid.

Only time will tell .

Lads what do you think is the timeline in place for getting the new manager? Would be good to get one in before the end of the month, but if FSG have no one lined up yet the whole process could take a while...

I hope they're working their balls off behind the scenes to fill all the vacant positions that need filling, not just that of manager

Exclusive Interview: Kenny Dalglish thanks Liverpool FC fans and players and urges everyone to stick by US owners
    KENNY DALGLISH today delivered a heartfelt message of thanks to Liverpool FC supporters as he started coming to terms with being sacked as Anfield manager.

The club legend and departed Reds boss, who was dismissed late yesterday by Boston based owners Fenway Sports Group, also called on Liverpool fans to stick by the owners who pulled the plug on his reign after just 16 months.

Dalglish, now on holiday abroad, told the ECHO late last night: “The response from the supporters on social media websites has been overwhelming and very, very humbling. Liverpool is still a great football club, still a club that should believe in whoever is going to come in after myself.

Read more: Kenny Dalglish - a round-up of our coverage so far

“Hopefully they will support that person as well as they have supported myself, which has been fantastic. The support the fans gave us was a huge influence in winning that (Carling Cup) trophy.

“To be perfectly honest, in most of the games this season the players have covered themselves with great credit. They have been a credit to themselves and to the football club.”

Added Dalglish, whose high profile signings included young stars like Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson: “You cannot underestimate the pressure that is on a boy who comes to play for Liverpool.

“But in the first year, what they have done has been a credit.

“There is now a great foundation to build on and to move forward with. The supporters, not just for myself but for everyone else, have always been fantastically supportive of the team – and that should not change.

“No one should underestimate the role the Liverpool fans play - or the appreciation the players have for the supporters.

“Taking aside the decision made about myself, for four players to be in Roy Hodgson’s England squad for Euro 2012, and for Jordan Henderson to be on standby as well, is a great credit to the players.

“It’s fantastic for the club and those players – and I hope they go on and represent everybody well.”

Added Dalglish: “The fans will always, always stick with Liverpool Football Club and support the players and the team and the person that is to be the next manager of the club. That’s the way these fans have been brought up and that’s the way it should continue.

“For me it’s obviously going to be different, not being involved in the way I have been as before. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want Liverpool to go on now and be really successful. And that’s the same for anyone who now comes in to the club.

“What Liverpool FC deserves and the supporters deserve is far more important than me.”

Regarding the American owners, under fire from some LFC fans over the controversial decision, he said: “I would hope nobody would prejudge things now. The owners have their own reasons for doing what they have done.

"They came in to help the club at a time when it wasn’t in a great condition. They have improved it, taken it forward and are doing the best they can.”

Opr

• Advertisement

Lads what do you think is the timeline in place for getting the new manager? Would be good to get one in before the end of the month, but if FSG have no one lined up yet the whole process could take a while...

I hope they're working their balls off behind the scenes to fill all the vacant positions that need filling, not just that of manager

This cannot take a long while .

It would be a disaster on new players signing to let this fester over the summer.

Think about it would you sign for a club who is currently managerless, CL less, and seemingly with no direction or anyone at the wheel.

This needs to be sorted now . No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

So is Clarke actually gone?

Fair play to Dalglish. Not a hint of bitterness. Only looking out for the club's interests, and I agree 100% that for now fans really need to get behind whoever is appointed and continue to support the owners. Like he said, they had their reasons.

To all those rival fans who call him a bitter and despicable man who lacks class, maybe they should read the above statement and revise their opinion.

gafferino wrote: »
    So is Clarke actually gone?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

What is the process now in the recruitment of a new manager?

It's essentially the same as it's always been at Liverpool Football Club. Whether it was the board of Liverpool recruiting Bill Shankly many years ago or the recruitment of Kenny Dalglish 18 months ago, it's the same process. The board will create a criteria of what that manager should look like and we'll match that with the best possible candidates and make a decision on that basis.

rafa_benitez_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg

The Rafa thing baffles me.

He did some great things for our club...particularly with the youth system and all that. The we played under him sometimes and his decisions made me want to rip my arm off and slap him in the goatee.
    Yeah we won trophies -albite not a huge amount- but take the CL out (I know, I know it was absolutely amazing but there was an element of luck) and its not so pretty. We had ONE really good season where we actually challenged till the end. I appreciated his time with us but I dont want him back. Despite great european nights that people go on about all the time in here, there were a lot more frustrating times as well.
    We need to move on - Klopp please :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

He did some great things for our club...particularly with the youth system and all that. The we played under him sometimes and his decisions made me want to rip my arm off and slap him in the goatee.
    Yeah we won trophies -albite not a huge amount- but take the CL out (I know, I know it was absolutely amazing but there was an element of luck) and its not so pretty. We had ONE really good season where we actually challenged till the end. I appreciated his time with us but I dont want him back. Despite great european nights that people go on about all the time in here, there were a lot more frustrating times as well.

F**kin' hell.

:rolleyes:

Some people's attitude towards Rafa is utterly utterly bizarre. We can only dream of having a manager like him again. John Henry should be at Rafa's front door begging through his letter box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I would rather have a lucky manager than a smart manager....They win trophies, and they make us lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Reports on the twitter box that FSG were actively trying to sell the club a few months ago.

http://bit.ly/Jhq3wE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

From Louis van Gaal's Wiki:
    Manager
    Team From To Record
    G W D L Win %
    Ajax 1991 1997 286 196 51 39 68.53
    Barcelona 1997 20 May 2000 166 92 30 44 55.42
    Netherlands 2000 31 January 2002 14 8 4 2 57.14
    Barcelona 2002 28 January 2003 30 16 5 9 53.33
    AZ 1 July 2005 30 June 2009 174 101 37 36 58.05
    Bayern Munich 1 July 2009 10 April 2011 77 47 16 14 61.04

Honours

Ajax

Eredivisie (3): 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96
    Johan Cruijff Shield (3): 1993, 1994, 1995
    KNVB Cup: 1992–93
    UEFA Cup: 1991–92
    UEFA Champions League: 1994–95
    Runner-up: 1996
    UEFA Super Cup: 1995
    Intercontinental Cup: 1995

Barcelona

La Liga (2): 1997–98, 1998–99
    Copa del Rey: 1997–98
    UEFA Super Cup: 1997

AZ

Eredivisie: 2008–09

Bayern Munich

Fußball-Bundesliga: 2009–10
    DFB-Pokal: 2009–10
    DFB-Supercup: 2010
    UEFA Champions League: Runner-up 2010

Not a bad choice IMO. Was also 40-1 on betfair yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I dont think van Gaal will be the choice.

If they are looking at a younger manager, and Rafa is being omitted for this reason, then surely van Gaal is not an option

spockety wrote: »
    F**kin' hell.

:rolleyes:

Some people's attitude towards Rafa is utterly utterly bizarre. We can only dream of having a manager like him again. John Henry should be at Rafa's front door begging through his letter box.

Why is that utterly bizarre? As I said I appreciated him when he was with us and we had fantastic times.....but also unfantastic times. I dont think its bizarre to not want him back. I just dont worship everything he did and remember being frustrated a lot when he was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sappy404 wrote: »
    From Louis van Gaal's Wiki:

Not a bad choice IMO. Was also 40-1 on betfair yesterday.

Who do you think will be on the shortlist?

I'd say AVB, Capello, Lambert, Rafa, Rodgers, Rijkaard and Deschamps.

I'm probably missing a name or 2?

Why is that utterly bizarre? As I said I appreciated him when he was with us and we had fantastic times.....but also unfantastic times. I dont think its bizarre to not want him back. I just dont worship everything he did and remember being frustrated a lot when he was in charge.

It's not bizarre to not want him back, but it is bizarre to try and amputate the CL win out of his record to strengthen a point .

Yeah thats fair enough Leiva....im not trying to take it out....probably my best memory as a Liverpool Supporter (i was a pup in the 80's!).
    I just feel strongly that he's not the right person for us now. I do love Rafa though and what he did/does on loads of different fronts for the club- its just on the pitch it wasnt always great and I think we need new blood.

We will all be frustrated no matter what manager is in charge.

United fans get frustrated all the time with Fergie. City fans have been frustrated with Mancini. Arsenal fans get frustrated with Wenger.

Yet these are all title delivering managers.

There is no perfect manager.

People think Liverpool fans are deluded because they believe success is just around the corner. They're not, they're deluded because they believe perfection is just around the next corner. It is unattainable. It doesn't exist.

Van Gaal had an almost identical win ratio to Jurgen Klinnsman at Bayern.

Well down my list of who id like in, 2nd page nearly.

• Advertisement

Agreed Spockety.

Im not dillusional.....like us all though i really need some respite from the last few seasons of turmoil. There would be too much baggage with Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

amiable wrote: »
    Who do you think will be on the shortlist?

I'd say AVB, Capello, Lambert, Rafa, Rodgers, Rijkaard and Deschamps.

I'm probably missing a name or 2?

Klopp and Martinez have been heavily touted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

You're baffled??
    Rafa had us in the CL every year bar his last. 3 CL semis, 2 finals! Our highest premiership points total, while scoring the most goals that season!

He did all this in an absolutely toxic environment while the club was at one of it's lowest ebbs off the pitch. Constantly being misled and lied to by his bosses and with the incompetents at board level refusing to back him and in his final 2 years doing everything they could to attempt to turn the fans against him.

Why on earth would Klopp even be interested?
    He's just led Dortmund to a domestic double, 2 titles in a row, and has a massive agenda to prove his critics wrong with them in the CL next year!
    Not a chance.

We finished this season in 8th. 37 points off the top. Closer to relegation than the CL. We dont' have bags of money to offer like Chelsea, City, Real, Barca.
    Klopp, Mourinho, Pep? You're having a laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

opr wrote: »

Im sorry but 4/5 players this season did themselves a "great credit" so thats a load of sentimental bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

G.K. wrote: »
    Klopp and Martinez have been heavily touted.

I didn't put them in as I just can't see Klopp leaving Dortmund for Liverpool.
    I genuinely don't believe that Martinez is being considered for the position. Just my gut feeling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Excuse the interuption from a United fan but I cant remember...what was the circumstances of Rafa's departure? I genuinely cant remember...

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Im sorry but 4/5 players this season did themselves a "great credit" so thats a load of sentimental bollocks

Please STFU! Even when the man is showing immense class some of you still find something to beat him with. He could have easily taken the easy route of slating the players but doesn't, a measure of the man in my eyes.

Opr

Excuse the interuption from a United fan but I cant remember...what was the circumstances of Rafa's departure? I genuinely cant remember...

There were severe personality clashes between him and Tom Hicks and George Gillett. He smoked them out and showed them up for what they were (or rather, weren't). Their opportunity came when Liverpool finished outside the top 4. They grabbed it by the horns and kicked him to the kerb at a time when they figured the fans wouldn't go mental about it. In fact, a lot of fans actually supported the move, claiming that with Rafa out of the way, the golden sky would be delivered.

What followed next is plain for all to see.

Rafa wouldn't be coming back as far as I would be concerned. It would simply be picking up where he left off, righting a wrong, and consigning the last couple of years to history (notwithstanding Kenny's sterling efforts and delivery of a trophy).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Fighting for the good of his club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He went out for a pint one night. Now he said if was only going to be the one drink, but six hours later he staggered in just after four in the morning.

He then went to the loo, sprinkled when he should have tinkled and left the lid up.

Next he thought it was a good time to have a snuggle and say that he was thinking of trying to buy Gareth Barry again.

Well....harsh words were spoken and suddenly he was packing his bags to live with some tart from Milanos chipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fair play to Dalglish. Not a hint of bitterness. Only looking out for the club's interests, and I agree 100% that for now fans really need to get behind whoever is appointed and continue to support the owners. Like he said, they had their reasons.

To all those rival fans who call him a bitter and despicable man who lacks class, maybe they should read the above statement and revise their opinion.

He's LFC through and through.

Club comes first,no one is bigger than it, he's always maintained that stance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement