Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC 2009 - General Discussion.

Options
  • 01-01-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭

This is a thread for general discussion of 2009 for PC gamers.
    Was it a good year? A bad year? Any highlights? Disappointments?
    Worried about consoles taking over, or is there plenty of life in the old dog yet?

We'll do one of these threads for each category to help jog peoples memories about the year just gone, and help them make well-informed nominations.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Modern Warfare 2 and Operation Flashpoint 2 showed us that devs are more geared towards console development and throwing half baked ports to us PC gamers.

However, I'm delighted to see Capcom committing to the PC this year. Plenty of new strategy and indie games too. Looking forward to this years offerings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its been a good year for games, lots of good and bad ones kept me entertained

Not suprisingly, Arma 2 is top of the list for me, Its the one that gave me the most gameplay this year and I'm still playing because its still getting patches, new missions and community mods and addons. Its actually so much better now with the Ace mod and still getting better. Puts the feeble attempt by Codemasters (OPF2) rightly in its place.

Enjoyed a few others this Year;
    Borderlands, although I still haven't gotten round to finishing it and have the dlc pack to play also. It suprised me as being well made and good fun
    Resident Evil 5, even further from the survival horror it should be, but I still thought it was epic, itching to play through it again in coop on the hardest difficulty soon
    Batman AA, this was the big suprise, loved the characters and gameplay was good, pity as an Ati user I didn't see all the effects
    NFS Shift, yes I said it. It suprised me as a good back to basics EA game, not he usual reskins their studios usually produce

Edit: Can we get a worst game/shoddy pc port category?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Bad year for me.

I didn't feel like there was any major release (apart from mw2, but I didn't bother with it). Flashpoint 2 was the only game i looked forward to and look how that turned out, at least arma 2 was more then capable of comforting me after that other shambles of a game. Borderlands was surprisingly fun and im still playing it. Dragon age, same story. Steam sale was great and I hope they do it again. This year we didn't have any new MMO released (we probably did but it went under my radar perhaps), which would have been nice since I know a lot of people have finished with WoW in the last 6-9months.

I did the unthinkable and bought a PS3 :P
    Im not one of these fanboi types but for a good five years I was more than happy with pc. Theres a few reasons I went console, but it was mainly because game releases are becoming far slower for PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For new releases, the charts were dominated by a handful of titles. Mostly in part to economic factors Im assuming. People dont go shelling out that much for that many titles unless they are really gravitated toward one or two.

As such, I spent a modest chunk of money on PC games but these were mostly yesteryear titles on sale, and so I can't really agree or disagree with a lot of nominations, having never played Modern Warfare (either of them actually) Braid or Trine or Torchlight which admittedly is just sitting in my Steam Account at the moment.

There were major releases but they were all handled poorly. Only the AAA games who spent millions in advertising and millions more in development seemed to be chart winners. There was an upsurgence in Indie games too but there again you have that flux between too expensive and too cheap. People are afraid to spend 10 or 20 on an indie game under the assumption its a micro game. Conversely you might spend 60 on an AAA and get reallly disappointed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

also, there should be a 'Best Simulation Game', that covers simulation games (cars/trains) as well as real life simulation (The Sims), as well as simulated shooters (Arma 2/OPFP 2)

There was a huge number of simulation games released this year, as there is every year, but its ignored for award nominations :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

There has to be a best PC shooter category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Have to say that this years PC offerings have been a big disappointment for me, can't remember buying a single new game last year on the PC that I am still playing, whereas I snapped up nearly every major release on the PS3 and am on it night and day, when normally it is the other way round.

Having said that I can see a good 2010 for the PC from my point of view, Mass Effect 2, The Agency, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, Bioshock 2, AVP, Splinter Cell:Conviction, C&C4, Supreme Commander 2 should all hopefully arrive this year, and I can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Torchlight for me was the biggest surprise on PC, what a fantastic little game.
    It runs so well also, lovely graphics, well coded allround, even at the highest settings the gfx card doesn't kick the fan into stupid jet fighter mode.
    Would be delighted to see them come out with an MMO of it all in the future, would really look forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Torchlight for me was the biggest surprise on PC, what a fantastic little game.
    It runs so well also, lovely graphics, well coded allround, even at the highest settings the gfx card doesn't kick the fan into stupid jet fighter mode.
    Would be delighted to see them come out with an MMO of it all in the future, would really look forward to that.

My personal PC game of the year.

This year I didn'y buy any 'new' games. But I did check out a good few old classics that I never played thanks to a certain little sale. Mainly stuff like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Civ 4 and Rome Total War.

Although I didn't check out any new retail games, I did try out a good few Indy gems, Namely: A reckless Disregard for gravity and Machinarium.

Good year for Indy games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement