Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foxing set up

Options
  • 27-01-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Couldn't figure out where pheasants/chickens were going until i have seen a few foxes(5 to be exact) in the last few weeks and think its time to take action... can anyone recommend best rifle,scope,light set up etc any ball park prices would be great too thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

helqui wrote: »
    Couldn't figure out where pheasants/chickens were going until i have seen a few foxes(5 to be exact) in the last few weeks and think its time to take action... can anyone recommend best rifle,scope,light set up etc any ball park prices would be great too thanks in advance

What kind of distances do you think you will be shooting at.

Also what kind of budget do you want to spend.

From rim fire . 22 Mag,. 17hmr to centerfire hornet, 204,223,etc. There are plenty of options.

The centerfire is going to give you more punch but will be more expensive to shoot.

Plenty to choose from too on the second hand market so you should have no problem finding
    something to suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

amadablam wrote: »
    What kind of distances do you think you will be shooting at.

Also what kind of budget do you want to spend.

From rim fire . 22 Mag,. 17hmr to centerfire hornet, 204,223,etc. There are plenty of options.

The centerfire is going to give you more punch but will be more expensive to shoot.

Plenty to choose from too on the second hand market so you should have no problem finding
    something to suit you.

Well distance wise i suppose 100/200 yards roughly maybe a wee bit more... budget wise i will pay for the right set up... i dunno about calibres what is the most common ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Well distance wise i suppose 100/200 yards roughly maybe a wee bit more... budget wise i will pay for the right set up... i dunno about calibres what is the most common ?

Popularity in Rimfire is going to be 22 Mag and 17 hmr but if you intend going further than 200 yards it might be worth considering a centerfire like a 223 or 204.

223 ammo availability, choice and cost is pretty good. 204 is flatter shooting but ammo is not as plentiful choice wise.

I shoot a 1:8 twist 223 and its great with everything from 40gr vmax to 75gr tap.

Plenty of choice out in the second hand market too.

thanks for reply... i was looking earlier at a browning x bolt a nice looking rifle... i don't need a deer licence i take it for 223 cal. any recommendations for scopes and lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭shoot to kill

I have a .243 browning x bolt. Extremely happy with it. cracking gun. really smooth action. Before that i had a ruger .204 and shot over 100 foxs a season with it, for a number of years. If i was buying a foxing gun it would be a .204. Thats just my choice. most important of all, get yourself a good scope.

• Advertisement

I have a .243 browning x bolt. Extremely happy with it. cracking gun. really smooth action. Before that i had a ruger .204 and shot over 100 foxs a season with it, for a number of years. If i was buying a foxing gun it would be a .204. Thats just my choice. most important of all, get yourself a good scope.

Thanks shoot to... so is there much difference between 223 and 204 is ammo same price etc

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭shoot to kill

ammo a good bit cheaper for the 223. The way i look at it is. how many rounds are u gona shoot? the difference wont be that much. .204 alot flatter shooting and probably easier to get used to. I'm no expert just a fanatic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

by the time ya get a license there wont be a bird left to save

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

Not sure what you meant by best? But having the best is really going to cost a serious amount of €€€'s. You would be much better served with a budget setup. After having a quick nosey on the for sale section something like this would be ideal:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057334377

And then add in a scope, lets say maybe another €300 and you'd be set.

Advertisement