Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lufthansa Airmotive workers can feck off!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stts

Does anybody know what pay cuts/work changes the workers are being asked to make? It might put a different perspective on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 2nd of 465

wicklori wrote: »
    Did anyone hear yer man on Morning Ireland this morning? Missed his name, but some kind of worker's representative-not a Union official as far as i could make out...

It's the management's fault according to him-took a hard line approach...

Where do these people get off???? Workersover there seem have lost the ability to listen and interpret what they are being told-i.e.-get with the programme or all your jobs are gone. (Obviously not the ones who voted with the proposal)

I just couldn't believe him trying to say that management hadn't spoken 'nicely' enough to the workers!! WTF!

As I said in an earlier thread, Walk a Mile in our shoes then feel Qualified to Comment on our situation,,

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I sevrved my time in FAS over ten years ago with six lads from lufthansa and have been in and out of the place over the last ten years servicing hydraulics and plat there. The lads them selves will tell any one how handy they have it. Now that i think of it it would have been about 1999 or 2001 and they were striking about works terms back then. It made my blood boil to see them taking home such good money while guys like myself working for smaller companies will work 12 hour days to keep our jobs and are dam happy to do it.
    Also have a brother inlaw who worked for SRT for 17 years and the stories he tells me about the unions would make you cry.Lucky for him he got out a couple of years back.
    why dont you tell us exactly what they are asking you to do and then like (sick day) teachers and nurses you just might get the rest of us on your side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

i worked in this industry. Try working for shannon aerospace in shannon and see how much you deserve a pay increase!
    you are just shocked at the reaction of the Irish workers to the German company?
    Try working for the industry.
    Yeah fair enought, the workers didn't act appropriately, but still, we all need enough money for the HOURS AND LABOUR we do right? Or does the person who started this post know more about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Is it just coincidence that the heads of unions are nearly always working class Dublin scum?

• Advertisement

Is it just coincidence that the heads of unions are nearly always working class Dublin scum?

I think you should keep your smart arsed comments to yourself. I have had nothing but hassle from any union i have ever had to deal with but to call working class Dub's scum just goes to show your level of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

b28 wrote: »
    i worked in this industry. Try working for shannon aerospace in shannon and see how much you deserve a pay increase!
    you are just shocked at the reaction of the Irish workers to the German company?
    Try working for the industry.
    Yeah fair enought, the workers didn't act appropriately, but still, we all need enough money for the HOURS AND LABOUR we do right? Or does the person who started this post know more about this?

That makes no sense. How many pay increases do you "deserve"? What if someone abroad is cheaper than you, would you prefer no increase or keeping your job?

I was due a pay rise on the 10th of april , this was in my contract but i had a fair idea i wasnt going to get it. sure enough i was turned down. i wasnt to worried about it. I'm just dam glad to have a good job. Look at the clowns workng for Dublin bus this week. there working hours are being changed....not cut...no pay decrease...no pension cuts and there going on strike.sickens my hole to see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 2nd of 465

I always love to get involved in a well constructed argument, this time it seems I fell into a play pen,

well done Book Smarts on staying away from insults or stereo typing, top marks for the smart child, didn't do too well on the debating team I'll wager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think you should keep your smart arsed comments to yourself. I have had nothing but hassle from any union i have ever had to deal with but to call working class Dub's scum just goes to show your level of intelligence.
    2nd of 465 wrote: »
    I always love to get involved in a well constructed argument, this time it seems I fell into a play pen,

well done Book Smarts on staying away from insults or stereo typing, top marks for the smart child, didn't do too well on the debating team I'll wager

Can we all please calm down? The scum remark and the comments on other poster's intelligence add nothing to the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

markpb wrote: »
    That makes no sense. How many pay increases do you "deserve"? What if someone abroad is cheaper than you, would you prefer no increase or keeping your job?

No increase, or I'd just move abroad simple as!
    I'd move to Germany personally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stts

Well a couple of posters on this thread who work in lufthansa still have not answered the question,what kind of deal did you agree to today? you obviously met in the middle with the management for what sacrafice ????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Clytus wrote: »
    So the Lufthansa Airmotive workers basically told their bosses in Germany to F*** Off...that they deserve to be paid more than their counterparts in Germany.
    I reckon if the Germans take the attitude "Sod the Paddys" and close up shop here...none of the Airmotive workers should get Jobseekers allowance because they more or less forced the plant to close.

Same applied to the SR Tecniques lads...they all figured theyd get a nice cushy redundecy package...but got the land of their lives when the Big Wigs in Zurich handed them a bucket of cash and said thats it....divey it up as yiz please!!

The Irish Trade Union movement has caused more damage in recent times than 10 life times of Financial crises...its time we told them where to go.

Its great to be so ignorant about trade unions. Its a shame your logic is as extinct as the PD's. I could happily give you an explination as to the importance of the unions but youd not understand just lets say if there was not a union in the form of the IMO then all the lovely nurses that look after you and your parents in hospitals would be replaced by low paid workers from the far east!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

stts wrote: »
    Well a couple of posters on this thread who work in lufthansa still have not answered the question,what kind of deal did you agree to today? you obviously met in the middle with the management for what sacrafice ????

There's a thread in the aviation forums which explains the original proposals much better than I could. Not sure specifics of today's eventual settlement, but I do know that there was an acknowledgment that management may have not approached the issue in the best way.

I had a lot invested in this whole mess-OH works over there, so no need to tell me to walk a mile in the shoes.... Possibly this whole thing is the end of us, so I know better than most how stressful this has been.

No one is recession-proof I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Book Smarts comment is is pretty much 100% accurate! sick of listening to those out of touch dinosaurs talking about "de workers"! its a pity lufthansa didnt pull out! "de workers" arent the ones calling the shots anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I read the unions are back to their old tricks already...

I love how the unions are blamed for everything. If the unions are wrong its up to workers to tell them they are wrong.

I guarantee you this. The is plenty of proof to show without unions we are all stuffed.

if a company wont play ball a union wont make it any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

On the radio this morning the UNITE spokesperson told third parties (DETE, Labour Court, etc) not to get involved and let things progress. I'm thinking that's because the third parties will tell the union to cop on and not put the jobs of hundreds at stake for the whims of a minority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Unions almost crippled the country in the 80's before the the government bent over and let them stick era of "social partnership" right up the country's hole. Good to see them upholding their end of the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When trade unions wind up saddling future generations of this country with a debt the size of mount everest just to keep them afloat yiz can moan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I guarantee you this. The is plenty of proof to show without unions we are all stuffed.

Can you show me some of this proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0611/lufthansa.html
    Earlier this year, workers voted to accept proposals to secure a $40m (€28.5m) investment in the plant.

However, managers now claim that employees are failing to honour the agreement and that some staff are refusing to do overtime, which has led to work being turned away.
    It comes down to this. As some don't do the hours, the entire plant may go under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

Aer Lingus...Aer Rianta...Lufthansa...Work-shy, Militant, Northsiders.
    They are the reason the Dublin Airport experience is worse than that of Kabul's airport.

Roll on Baldonnell airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I know 2 people working, one in SRT and one in Lufthansa airmotive. They are in the design side of the business. They are not in unions and as far as I know are not entitled to be. They did not get payrises, overtime, double time, time in lieu or were not included in any "agreements" with any Gov parties.They have worked weekends, through the night, and are on call at all times. They are going to lose their jobs - well, one already has, and the other might - because of these unions. Unions are fine if people actually have NO rights at all, but in the last ten years they've just become greedy. Everybody knows their right, yet nobody is interested in any responsibilites that might come with those "rights".
    Little bit bitter here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

relocate the jobs! simple as! people know all about their right and little about their duties! christ what are they even thinking over in Germany about committing themselves to here for another 20 years!

When i served my time as an apprentice in Bolton street back in 1999 i think was the year i was there with six guys from Lufthansa. At the time there was a strike. As an apprentice you have no right to strike. not sure if this is still the case but these lads had to cross the picket line and were badly abused for doing so even though they could have been sacked on the spot for refusing to work. I am still very good friends with some of these guys and spoke to one of them last night. It seems that there are Senior staff members not far from retirement age who never had any intention of doing overtime or working any more than the basic hours to keep themselves in a job. there is a rift there between members of staff but as always the senor members are very close to the unions. the vast majority want to keep up the agreed working practice but the older minority not just northsiders by the way have no intention of doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Aer Lingus...Aer Rianta...Lufthansa...Work-shy, Militant, Northsiders.
    They are the reason the Dublin Airport experience is worse than that of Kabul's airport.

Roll on Baldonnell airport

LOL, Lufthansa Technik aren't anywhere near the airport, they're right beside Baldonnell

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=53.423221,-6.25946&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=%3BFao-LQMdOrqd_w&mra=mi&mrsp=0,1&sz=11&sll=53.359568,-6.332245&sspn=0.372492,0.837708&ie=UTF8&ll=53.359568,-6.332245&spn=0.286849,0.583649&z=10

slimjimmc wrote: »

ah jasus Well done I forgot that one.... But then I tend to ignore the rantings of the foolish as they clearly dont know how bad it would be without unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ah jasus Well done I forgot that one.... But then I tend to ignore the rantings of the foolish as they clearly dont know how bad it would be without unions.
    Unions are good, but seem to be in their own little world for the last decade. In the real world, as private companies are finding out, the company just moves elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Have fun living in a country without trade unions.

unions has long out lasted their usefulness and are now just a barrier to growth in this country. we'd be much better off without those bearded lefties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement