Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish laptop in America?

• 27-12-2008 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

So im going to New York in August! Im going to be bringing my laptop along with me as im going for a month and want to keep up to date with stuff on the intertubes. I wont have a problem with wifi in america will I? I havn't actually purchased the laptop yet... I just want to confirm this before doing anything!!

Thanks.

(ive googled a bit and found nothing)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,068 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you havent purchased yet, I would probably purchase it in the states. But August is a long way away - so yeah **** it.

No you wont have any problems. all you need is a travel adapter for your charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

America have some great deals on laptops, especially Mac's. Becarefully however as the US and Japan have a limited wifi spectrum, I believe they have 11 channels while we have 13 in Europe etc. Just something to be aware of. The 2 extra channels are for Military use.. :rolleyes:

news to me. but hardly something to be worried about. the difference between 11 and 13 channels has no impact on wifi use in reality. The laptop will pick up the signal regardless. Channels are only a concern for routers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Overheal wrote: »
    news to me. but hardly something to be worried about. the difference between 11 and 13 channels has no impact on wifi use in reality. The laptop will pick up the signal regardless. Channels are only a concern for routers.

As overheal says, the channels are only what the routers broadcast at; your Wifi card will still pick them up regardless of what Channel is in the states :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Good stuff lads thanks, really didn't want to spend money in internet cafes! I thought about getting a laptop when I get over there but thats just to much hassle to me.. I would rather have it with me when I get there and setup with everything I need.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

Well the prices are very competitive if youre there to receive it in the US. I just dont know if I'd wait until August to get one is all - that is if youre ready to buy now, and not planning to buy in the summer; then I would wait.

Actually the channel does matter. If a European router broadcasts on 13 your US card won't pick it up or be able to use it. Anyways its hardly a cause for concern as manufacteurs hardly enforce it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ironclaw wrote: »
    Actually the channel does matter. If a European router broadcasts on 13 your US card won't pick it up or be able to use it. Anyways its hardly a cause for concern as manufacteurs hardly enforce it

Quit confusing matters. He is buying an Irish laptop which supports all channels, including 11-13. He is not using a "US card" by which I presume you mean a US laptop with a US wifi card built in.

The bottom line: you will not have any problem using an Irish purchased laptop in the US. I've lived and worked in the US and brought my laptop over and back and never had a problem.

Apologises, US laptop with a US card in Europe = Can be problematic

Euro Laptop / US Laptop with a Euro Card = No problem.

Advertisement