Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nixer Cleaning My Laptop.

Options
  • 27-11-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hey. Who wants to be a hero and clean my laptop and install some protection on it? It's wrecking my head.

Please PM me. I got a great guy through this forum before but I lost all his details and I forget his name.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's up with your laptop? Install the likes of avg free, and spybot search and destroy and give them ago. All that is very easy, just a few clicks worth of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I think it's already infected with a virus. I'm not very computer literate, I wouldn't know where to start. My wife's quite handy though but she doesn't really know what to with it either. That's why we were thinking of getting someone with a bit of expertise.

The laptop still works, largely, but it's so so slow, and it's becoming more erratic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rediguana wrote: »
    I think it's already infected with a virus. I'm not very computer literate, I wouldn't know where to start. My wife's quite handy though but she doesn't really know what to with it either. That's why we were thinking of getting someone with a bit of expertise.

The laptop still works, largely, but it's so so slow, and it's becoming more erratic.

http://free.avg.com/

Spybot search and destroy

When you have downloaded and installed those, restart your computer, shutting it down completely, turn it on, tap F8 until the windows boot options pop up, and chose to boot into safe mode, without networking. Then proceed to boot, and run full scans of both avg free and spybot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'll give that a bash so. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

www.ubuntu.com

Forget about this anti-virus nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

FruitLover wrote: »
    www.ubuntu.com

Considering he said hes not very comfortable with computers that is a very poor solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

www.ubuntu.com

lol

best comment on OP ever

Considering he said hes not very comfortable with computers that is a very poor solution.

Considering Ubuntu is easier to install and get working than Windows, it is a very good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Considering Ubuntu is easier to install and get working than Windows, it is a very good solution.

So what happens when he wants to watch a movie? He can download the 9/10 packages that will make some movies work? And taht doesn't even include Divx ones. Thats a whole other story.

I use Ubuntu regularly, and someone who isn't comfortable with Windows would never touch a computer with Ubuntu on it.

And easier to install? Sometimes. But I know when I install windows on my PC that my network card will be compatable

So what happens when he wants to watch a movie? He can download the 9/10 packages that will make some movies work? And taht doesn't even include Divx ones. Thats a whole other story.

I use Ubuntu regularly, and someone who isn't comfortable with Windows would never touch a computer with Ubuntu on it.

And easier to install? Sometimes. But I know when I install windows on my PC that my network card will be compatable

I'd have to +1 that, i wouldn't be giving a machine with Ubuntu to some one who wasn't at least some what computer literate.

• Advertisement

So what happens when he wants to watch a movie? He can download the 9/10 packages that will make some movies work?

They install one package: VLC. All other dependencies are taken care of automatically by APT. And this is done through the in-built package manager. How many programs and codec packs and other crap do you need to find, then install on a base Windows XP install to get DivX movies working?

And personally, I'd be more confident of Ubuntu having a NIC driver included on the OS install CD than (e.g.) XP.

Okay okay, how about we leave out the whole linux Vs windows debate lads, its clear that we each have our own opinions on this, so let's agree to disagree. The laptops forum really isn't the place for this discussion, and this thread has spiralled way off topic.
    Cheers,
    Al.

Advertisement