Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best pheasant breeds

• 17-01-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

So we have not yet finished this season but time to start planning ahead on the breeding stock.
    We are debating the breeds to go for. Breeding wise as always we will prob stick with the Common ringneck but I like to supplement the stock with a few odd balls. last year it was melanistics, this it was manchurians.
    Next the bazzantis are in the mix but also thinking of buying in a few of the above 2 breeds again for the Craic. That would give 4 variations & different fliers etc

Any1 any experience with the above breeds or others for that matter & if so what would you recommend???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've heard good things about Michigan Blue Backs - there was a thread on them a few months back that I'll try to dig out later.

PS: Last week I had the pleasure to enjoy some great sporting country near Hollymount Co. Mayo. Loads of Pheasants about but what was most suprising was the number of pure white cocks!!:eek: - I'm wondering if certain strains produce more of these type of birds then others:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Yea im agreein with birdnuts on this one.wasnt shootin myself but me and the bitch i have rose 2 last year for a few mates.nice little flight on them i think anyway.makes a change from seein the common ringnecks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

rear the michigans for your neighbours they are the biggest hoors to wander you'll ever meet , fine bird on a driven shoot where they can be dogged back home frequently cos they fly like batman but they have little or no homing instinct
    the first ones released in kilkenny were shot 7 miles away from the shoot they were released in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 41 6.5x55

Hi We have released both some melanistic and also some Reeves Pheasants ( the Reeves have three feet long tails ) just for a bit of variation .Both go well but the Reeves look spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

We let out some reeves a few years back. They never got a chance as there were a few locals who knew we had done it and wiped them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

6.5x55 wrote: »
    Hi We have released both some melanistic and also some Reeves Pheasants ( the Reeves have three feet long tails ) just for a bit of variation .Both go well but the Reeves look spectacular.
    Dogs get some shock when the reeves sit on a branch and hiss at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

I was running the idea thru my head today about lettin off a few birds.. I have a couple of places around the 2 acre mark that have plenty of cover and roosting.. As ive never released birds before i was wondering what is the average survival rate and what after care they would need after release. ?? I dont shoot that much pheasant cause they arent that plentiful and i was thinkin of letting off maybe two pairs at each bit of ground i had in mind.. Would this just be a waste of time and end up as a handy dinner for a passing fox??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

The blue backs are def hoors for wondering. I found that they especially like woods for some reason. A lovely looking bird though. 150 quid for a few poults worth the poor return for the bit of sport & novelty of getting a few here & there. I had the pleasure of a common, a melanistic & a manchurian in the 1 day this year.

As for reeves i had a few but the killed all the normal cocks in the run so I decided against em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

hrcbob wrote: »
    I was running the idea thru my head today about lettin off a few birds.. I have a couple of places around the 2 acre mark that have plenty of cover and roosting.. As ive never released birds before i was wondering what is the average survival rate and what after care they would need after release. ?? I dont shoot that much pheasant cause they arent that plentiful and i was thinkin of letting off maybe two pairs at each bit of ground i had in mind.. Would this just be a waste of time and end up as a handy dinner for a passing fox??
    if you want to make them a bit wild after you let them off, hunt them with a springer and fire a shot beside them when they get up. this should educate them a bit, and hopefully make them a bit harder for charlie to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Would they need feeding to ween them off it when they are released??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

we got some jap greens cross and the were tough out good flying birds and good body weight for the table the were more incline to fly than run and when the got up out of cover the would shake the briars you know that feeling when your not sure wtf it is coming out i dont like the michigan blue backs there like road runners everyone in the next gun club will shoot them i have seen them once its day light the will drop down from roost start feeding were ever the finish up the will roost again start the same thing the next day there a keepers worst nightmare we tryed them a few years ago bad returns but outside the gun club got the shooting of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Where would 1 acquire some of these green lads steryman??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

I was thinking of trying to get my hands on some melanistic eggs to hatch. Reason being I would not have to tag them when released and would be able to see if they were surviving well. I have only ever seen one in the entire club in 5 years so I would be able to presume any released are mine. I would know any melanistic shot originated from where I released and I would get an idea of where the birds I release end up and if many are shot and how they fare once released and if they use my feeders and then if my feeder attract other wild birds. I was thinking that it would be a good way of keeping track of birds I release for a few years and see if my efforts of releasing are paying dividends.
    Is there any real difference between a melanistic and a common ringneck (other than the colour ;) ) and do they have any real disadvantages such as running like the wind or wandering away from the area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

shot a couple of melanistics this season they were tagged and to my knowledge released roughly 1 mile away by a neighbouring club... saw two more this eve they're comin into me feeders.. in sayin that bought ringnecks from aidan wogan this year great birds.. but also fond of wanderin too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

As for reeves i had a few but the killed all the normal cocks in the run so I decided against em!

Good decision, because im told they'll do the very same when released!
    Their ment o be very territorial, and are known to either kill or push out other birds in the area!

A good few years back we got some pure melanistics (a lot of cross breeds around these days) and they were great birds!
    They do tend to give a dog the run around, but saying that, they are a challenge, a great survivers compared to other breeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Where would 1 acquire some of these green lads steryman??
    i will check with the chairman tomorrow for you and get back to you on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

6.5x55 wrote: »

I've never seen a Reeves in the wild in this country - any pics??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gameshooter

Our club has released some melanistics for the last few years and tried many different varieties, they dont seem to stray to far from where they have been released and survival rate is o.k, A friend has a feeder on his land and there are still melanistics hens that were released in the area 2 years ago coming to it. Hens dont breed very well and to be honest have yet to see a hen with a brood but then again we find any breed that are relesed more or less the same in that regard.Last year we released 750 birds this year hope to hit the 1000 mark probably mostly common ring neck which seem to be the best suited overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

sorry for hijacking thread but was thinking about releasing some pheasants this year. i was reading on another thread about releasing in feburary so they be sort of wild come november. question is would you buy adult (caught up) hens and cocks now and release and would they bred??? :confused: or buy poults in june july and rear them and release next feburary and would they bred ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

melanistic/japeneese greens
    Halfway Hatcheries
    Cloonmore Tarmonbarry Co. Longford
    (043)3326171
    Bob Laity
    give him a bell he used to rear them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gameshooter

If you release caught up birds after the season make sure you dont release to many cocks in the same area as they will kill each other! the chances are that the hens would lay but i have found they very rarely succesfully hatch. For the amount of money you would spend and the return you would get i would advise buying poults later in the year rearing them on in pens and releasing them,we have tried both methods and had very very poor returns on the adult birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I've never seen a Reeves in the wild in this country - any pics??:)

75 inch tail on Reeves pheasant shot in Ireland Gun Club

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/171923/Irish_gun_unwraps_a_75_inch_surprise_on_Boxing_Day_shoot.html

Reeves-Pheasant.jpg

pheasantTop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

do you know what the price would be for caught up birds vs poults & feed
    would poults when reared and released bred and would it be best to let reared birds out in oct nov dec or wait till after season??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

6.5 x 55 shot a great reeves cock last weekend, he will probably post up some pics. Great bird, huge tail, 6.5 could have let it get a bit higher off the ground though:D:D
    Joking apart our Club released ten Reeves five cocks, and five hens, we kept one cock and two reeves hens, and two ring neck hens back in a pen. We intend to get a few eggs under bantams and incubators, and also get some reeves/ringneck crosses (these offspring are infertile).
    My own opinion is that the Reeves add some spice, but they are really only a bit of fun.Large scale releases of them arent advisable for following reasons: Very bad fliers, labour into the air (reeves hens are better), wander a lot, very poor breeders, and lastly very good at attracting two legged poachers. However as a bit of fun, a dozen accross club grounds is great, especially if you can get members to leave them alone till January as tails are spectacular then.
    We also release Bazzanty, Melanistic and Red Legged Partridge and find all excellents.
    Although I have heard that the Mighigan bluebacks are much more likely to rear clutches of their own, than any other breeds. Anyone any experience of these, also interested in peoples experience with Japaneese greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

see a reeves up here for the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

jar18 wrote: »
    see a reeves up here for the last few days

Where about?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

kerrykeel area of co donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Was always in favour of poults ,adult pheasants in feb you might as well stand on top of your nearest hill on a windy day and trow your money in the air ,but I am hearing great reports of these birds caught up in sept 14weeks old I think 10euro a bird, put out a few hoppers and let them out. When you take into consideration the feeding of 6 week old poults ,medication, carrying water to pen to fill cubes or drinkers and the general looking after them for 8 to 10 weeks these 14 week olds make a lot of sense talking to a few boys involved with 2 clubs who have tried them for the last few years they said they were a great success and they will never go back to 6 week olds again.Is their any one out their that had experience of these 14week olds looks like this is the way to go if you order over 300 someone said 9 euro a bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

blackpearl wrote: »
    Was always in favour of poults ,adult pheasants in feb you might as well stand on top of your nearest hill on a windy day and trow your money in the air ,but I am hearing great reports of these birds caught up in sept 14weeks old I think 10euro a bird, put out a few hoppers and let them out. When you take into consideration the feeding of 6 week old poults ,medication, carrying water to pen to fill cubes or drinkers and the general looking after them for 8 to 10 weeks these 14 week olds make a lot of sense talking to a few boys involved with 2 clubs who have tried them for the last few years they said they were a great success and they will never go back to 6 week olds again.Is their any one out their that had experience of these 14week olds looks like this is the way to go if you order over 300 someone said 9 euro a bird.
    i found that as well..releasing half feathered poults a pure waste...wait until they are almost fully feathered and then they can fly at least, they are a lot stronger on the wing...feeding is everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Bushwack

Release methods have a lot to do with success,lots of clubs rearing poults in nothing more than chicken coops and then expect miracles.

Releasing adult cock birds in February in the middle of a breeding season is madness,but yet lots do it.

Easy blame the birds when location of pen,vermin or size of pen are the problems most of the time.

Any one releasing black neck poults?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

have to agree with what you say bushwack,but have you any experience with the 14 week old caught up birds,and yes I have released black necks one thing about them they will not stray but need a lot of dog work in October to make them wild they are a lazy type of bird I liked them but most of the members in the club wanted the bird with the big white ring so that put a end to black necks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Bushwack

have to agree with what you say bushwack,but have you any experience with the 14 week old caught up birds,and yes I have released black necks one thing about them they will not stray but need a lot of dog work in October to make them wild they are a lazy type of bird I liked them but most of the members in the club wanted the bird with the big white ring so that put a end to black necks.

I have reared them here from day olds and hatched them under bantams and released them out at all ages but my opinion is the younger you get them out and to roost the better.

I think the longer there held the more tame they get and it that little tougher for them to adapt to the wild.

Black neck birds are supposed to be better birds for taking more shooting pressure and I have herd it said there better breeders in the wild,going to give them a go this year so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sheamie 1

jar18 wrote: »
    kerrykeel area of co donegal

If you were lucky enough to see a reeves pheasant.It might be safer not to post the location on public forums.

Advertisement