Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its ok to get pissed on Sundays now. The Danes and French need worry no more either !

• 22-09-2014 5:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Obsolete law from 1661 to be binned in review

Ireland is revoking a ban on being drunk and swearing on Sundays.

A law from 1661 - which bans "drunkenness, cursing, swearing and profaning on the Lord's Day" - is among thousands of laws set to be scrapped.

Ireland is also scrapping its declarations of war against Denmark in 1666, and against France in 1744.......

http://www.todayfm.com/No-more-bans-on-getting-drunk-on-Sundays

Great feckin news altogether.

I had to keep looking over my shoulder for the tans while swearing at the referee in yesterday's All Ireland that I woke up with a creek in my neck.

I need worry no more and can now swear at the television in peace.

Our brothers and sisters in Denmark and France must be breathing a sigh of relief too !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I knew there was a reason I loved Sunday sociables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Feck it I forgot about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We should have held out for another year, if we reminded France we were at war with them they probably would have surrendered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

A declaration announcing the death of King George the Third, who died in 1820 after nearly a decade of mental illness. is also being scrapped.

About time too.

That declaration has been cluttering up the courts with unwanted cases for nearly two hundred years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

just as well i suppose - i doubt we'd could afford to feed that many POWs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

What a relief it is to me as Pale Dweller to be emancipated like this. Art Guinness would be so proud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

ScumLord wrote: »
    We should have held out for another year, if we reminded France we were at war with them they probably would have surrendered.

I think we should reinstate the declaration and give the frogs a damn good hiding.

Just for le crack like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Sunday has, and always will be my favourite day for a few pints in the pub. I love the atmosphere of a pub on a Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

Could you actually take someone to court and win if they were flouting some of these laws?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

That was English law in Ireland. It should have been extinguished in 1921.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

newmug wrote: »
    That was English law in Ireland. It should have been extinguished in 1921.

Ah shur there's no hurry on us like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

So is George III still dead or wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So is George III still dead or wha?

As a Dodo,but he's much calmer these days.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

1661 was a good for English law as Cromwell was executed, just a pity he was already dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We have unfinished business with the Danes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lapin wrote: »
    I think we should reinstate the declaration and give the frogs a damn good hiding.

Just for le crack like.
    We should definitely declare war on someone for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Isn't 1661 a beer, Kronenberg I think:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Isn't 1661 a beer, Kronenberg I think:confused:

1664. I just remembered I have some unfinished Kronenberg in my glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Now all they need to do is to get rid of the stupid Sunday licencing laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That story is really vague

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

That story is really vague

That's the way the elites want it. Keeps us on our toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

The French have been good allies to us. We bloody well won Fontenoy for them.

The Danes on the other hand....

I still want revenge for Limerick 1691. Until them, the Germans and the Dutch begin to pay reparations, I say we continue this state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Lapin wrote: »
    [

Ireland is also scrapping its declarations of war against Denmark in 1666, and against France in 1744.......[/I]

!

Cool, I'm a spy !
    What's with the French name so, traitor ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

When do we get our reparations of the huns Germans. They've started and lost several wars and it turns out we were at war with them all the time. We'll have no more of this bond nonsense for a start. A small lottery win for everybody in Ireland and that should make up for WW1.
    I'll get back to you when the Committee (me and the lads down the pub) have met to discuss WW2.
    As for the Dutch - free Dutch gold for them that needs it. Should keep the Boardwalk cheerful for a bit.
    The French - well, we'll forgive you but we will need a vineyard or three.

Advertisement