Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a hyperactive raisin?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well my aim is to reach 100 - if not I'll die trying .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Glibby McGlib witters on.

The world turns and nobody cares.

Saying that, I'm also looking forward to the end of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm a magnificent grape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

More of a perfect peperami.

B98B5939-0430-FB55-0432B9DC221EA268.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was cycling up from Wexford a couple of weeks back and ended up chatting to a lad just turning seventy, on his return trip from cycling up to the 9 stones on Mt Leinster. Didn't look like a raisin, or even that he was anywhere near close to 70. I'd be well chuffed to still be able to cycle up hills at that age, and couldn't care less whether I looked like a dessicate fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maybe he should stop being a dour prick and get out on a bike and enjoy it for what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

David McWilliams, is there no end to the bull**** phrases he makes up trying to make himself appear clever and insightful ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

There's a well known GP in Tipperary who's father cycled into his 90's.

About 5 years ago he was going a 3 day cycle from Galway to Clonmel. On day 2 he reached Nenagh/Roscrea and when checking into B& B he decided he would rather his own bed and cycled home, a 3 daytrip becoming 2 days at 90odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Its pretty encouraging to see an elderly grimpeur, as opposed to an irrelevant journalist who trades in bitter opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ford2600 wrote: »
    There's a well known GP in Tipperary who's father cycled into his 90's.

About 5 years ago he was going a 3 day cycle from Galway to Clonmel. On day 2 he reached Nenagh/Roscrea and when checking into B& B he decided he would rather his own bed and cycled home, a 3 daytrip becoming 2 days at 90odd

My own father is still doing 10 miles a day (well when the weather is dry) at age 82. The differences I notice over the years (apart from the drop in speed) is that the gears get progressively lower. He was on the big ring up to about his late sixties, then about 10 years on the middle ring and now in about 4th lowest on the small ring so he has a few gears left. He has also modified his route to make it as flat as possible.

He also feels the cold much more so would appear overdressed to most cyclists. And now he does a circular route around his area so he is never too far from home in case of problems.

It gives me great hope for my own cycling future.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    My own father is still doing 10 miles a day (well when the weather is dry) at age 82.
    The IVCA currently has a couple of people racing in their 80s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I feel like I'm 80 on the bike sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Beasty wrote: »
    The IVCA currently has a couple of people racing in their 80s

Talking about yourself in the 3rd person again, Beasty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Jesus you get paid for that? Half the article was boring stats that came off some leaflet at the doctors office and the other half said nothing at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

To be fair to McWilliams he spoke reasonably eloquently about his father's decline and death ; similar to own fathers last few years (cancer/stroke). He then went on to set out the demographic challenge of providing a decent standard of living for the older members of society, a group that is likely to make up an increasingly greater proportion of the overall population. In the middle of it all he makes a poor joke about being an old cyclist - no real harm done in my view (he problably couldn't sat "wrinklie"). He also misleads a wee bit when he compares the 1961 absolute numbers of over sixty fives with the 2011 data ; percentages would have been better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The odd thing is that he starts by contrasting his father's life in his early 70s - an active walker apparently - to his last few years - when walking was no longer possible because of ill-health.
    But later in the article he talks about being fat and sitting in an armchair as a good thing, and being active and running or cycling as a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

It's like here I'll mention my experience with my dad and thereby I can write any auld tosh without fear of criticism. Like hello, we all experience loss.

Could do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Heard this somewhere recently: It is better to wear out than to rust out.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

In my father's adult lifetime, since the mid 1950s, increases in longevity have been achieved mainly by extending the lives of people over 60.

I guess he is being paid by the word or had a bet with someone that he could insert a thoroughly meaningless phrase into the opinion.

I don't share his pessimism about the extension of dying, I would say from the evidence that more people are living healthily longer. I predict a reduction in the rate of obesity, diabetes, chronic neural disease, and other diseases of the aged as we get better information about diet and wellness in addition to being more, and appropriately, active as we age. Cycling is a key mode by which impact can be reduced in addition to helping us maintain the voice of the little boy as we whizz down hills! He should have a phone call with Hans Rosling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not meaningless, but obviously not well explained.
    You can talk about life expectancy by talking about the life expectancy of a baby born today. But you can also say, for a child born today, what is that child's expectancy of reaching 10 years old? What is a ten year old's chance of reaching 20? and so on through the age groups. And also say, what is the life expectancy of an 18 year old today? A 50 year old? and so on

High child mortality used to be a massive factor in driving down average life expectancy at birth. McWilliams is saying (I don't know if he's accurate) that the gains are not being made in making it more likely that children will live to adulthood, but in making it more likely that people over 60 will live to 80 or 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

smacl wrote: »
    Was cycling up from Wexford a couple of weeks back and ended up chatting to a lad just turning seventy, on his return trip from cycling up to the 9 stones on Mt Leinster. Didn't look like a raisin, or even that he was anywhere near close to 70. I'd be well chuffed to still be able to cycle up hills at that age, and couldn't care less whether I looked like a dessicate fruit.

He wasn't a South African by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

As Hunter S. Thompson once said:
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

RayCun wrote: »
    You can talk about life expectancy by talking about the life expectancy of a baby born today. But you can also say, for a child born today, what is that child's expectancy of reaching 10 years old? What is a ten year old's chance of reaching 20? and so on through the age groups.
    Yes, it grates on me when people quote average life expectancy at birth in, for example, Ancient Rome being 29, and then go on to assume that there were not many people older than 29. I guess averages are misleading for distributions that aren't clustered around the average.

As for McWilliams:

Boilerplate article about MAMILs, standard allusion to homoerotic clothing:
    http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2013/02/04/the-age-of-the-mamil

McWilliams has a thing about bicycle child seats too: it's a smug thing for him.
    http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2014/08/25/education-apartheid
    He actually describes them as something along the lines of the ultimate symbol of smugness in an article from a few years back, but I can't find it.
    How many other oldies like myself will be knocking around? Will I be in slippers, beside the fire, chatting to grandchildren, surrounded by loving family or will I be alone?

I can hazard a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

RayCun wrote: »
    You can talk about life expectancy by talking about the life expectancy of a baby born today. But you can also say, for a child born today, what is that child's expectancy of reaching 10 years old? What is a ten year old's chance of reaching 20? and so on through the age groups. And also say, what is the life expectancy of an 18 year old today? A 50 year old? and so on

High child mortality used to be a massive factor in driving down average life expectancy at birth. McWilliams is saying (I don't know if he's accurate) that the gains are not being made in making it more likely that children will live to adulthood, but in making it more likely that people over 60 will live to 80 or 90.

Probably, well definitely, not well explained but longevity without reference to any statistical meaning is usually understood in the context of the entire length of life whereas "life expectancy" is usually related to the remaining years at a given age. "People these days, beyond the age of 60, have a greater life expectancy."

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Poor old DMcW. Came to fame for someone else's sound bite and has spent his time since in increasing desperation trying to come up with one of his own that will stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Quite apart from anything else McWilliams ignores the fact that most other European countries are way ahead of Ireland in terms of ageing populations. Some analysis of the effects of this on say Italy is obviously beyond him.

He's always one for the extreme but simple scenario e.g. We should leave the euro and suck up to china. Which any moron can 'understand' and the stupid analogy or pop culture reference.

Reality is alway more complicated and boring than McWilliams would have us believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    This.
    Europe has three significant issues - Debt, Deflation and Demographics.
    Of these Ireland has only Debt.

Demographics here are not only better than Europe but are amongst the most positive in the Western world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ROK ON wrote: »
    ^
    This.
    Europe has three significant issues - Debt, Deflation and Demographics.
    Of these Ireland has only Debt.

Demographics here are not only better than Europe but are amongst the most positive in the Western world.
    I think you might be missing the bigger picture:

Cyclists are vain and deluded.

It's not your fault. You didn't work as an economist with the Central Bank of Ireland, UBS bank and the Banque Nationale de Paris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You didn't work as an economist with the Central Bank of Ireland, UBS bank and the Banque Nationale de Paris
    :pac::D

• Advertisement
Advertisement