Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller buried in €28,000 coffin

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Is anyone surprised that he was let away with it? The Guards or anyone for that matter says a word them or arrests them they're all racist denying them the right to live their culture. I say in the mass the priest was saying what a kind soul he is. Makes me ****ing sick to think the dirty bastard beat up old age pensioners and robbed them of everything they had and then to have ****ing sheep saying how he was a gentleman "rip andy xxx" more like rest in ****ing pieces you dirty ginger animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Totally agree with the above post.

I had two thoughts when I saw that ludicrous gold plated coffin and the moronic buffoons surrounding it :

1) I thought of the old engineering expression "there is no point in trying to gild a turd"

2) The last time I saw a gold coffin like that was Jimmy Savile's funeral - And he was a complete c*** too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why didn't the Catholic Church deny him the funeral Mass? There's precedent for this in America, John Gotti was denied a funeral Mass by the Brooklyn Diocese.

Any man who lived his life with his back to the Commandments and never repented is damned. The Church have the right to say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Jealousy of their freedom from all the shyte we suck up and resent? Like rules and taxes and queues?

and the freedom to marry your Cousin.

...enlightened b*stards those Travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

"My Big Fat Gypsy Funeral"

Will there be a T.V. programme on this?

I'd keep an eye on TV3. They have an obsession with kn- er Travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Why didn't the Catholic Church deny him the funeral Mass? Any man who lived his life with his back to the Commandments and never repented is damned...

Tough moral dilemma...

Leave him dammed for eternity, or
    Save his soul...

Ka-ching!
    :rolleyes:

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Tough moral dilemma...

Leave him dammed for eternity, or
    Save his soul...

Ka-ching!
    :rolleyes:

His soul can't be saved, he never repented or changed his ways. He's damned, the grave is fair game.

...He's damned...
    Nah - just dead, like the rest of us will be one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Why didn't the Catholic Church deny him the funeral Mass? .

If they paid that amount on the coffin, I'm sure the church got a nice little earner too.

oldyouth wrote: »
    If they paid that amount on the coffin, I'm sure the church got a nice little earner too.

I wouldn't be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why didn't the Catholic Church deny him the funeral Mass? There's precedent for this in America, John Gotti was denied a funeral Mass by the Brooklyn Diocese.
    "judge not lest ye be judged".
    Pretty central to the Christian faith that only god decides who gets into heaven or hell. Even if he had burned a church down and pissed on its ashes, they would conduct his funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Karl Stein wrote: »
    In a way this Traveller man's inability to tell the time from an analogue clock was as a result of freedom from being institutionalised by the systems we all consider perfectly 'normal'.
    Ignorance is a prison of the mind. Ask an illiterate man if he feels freer than everyone else by being unburdened by the institutionalised system of reading.

seamus wrote: »
    Ask an illiterate man if he feels freer than everyone else by being unburdened by the institutionalised system of reading.
    And then duck quickly!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I find the hatred of Travellers very interesting and I think there's a lot of wisdom in your post. I remember being asked by a Traveller man 'what time is it'? as he nodded toward a clock. It left an impression on me that a person around the same age as myself was unable to read an analogue clock; something I can't even remember not being able to do.

In a way this Traveller man's inability to tell the time from an analogue clock was as a result of freedom from being institutionalised by the systems we all consider perfectly 'normal'.

Freedom is one way of looking at it, it's also keeping them uneducated which puts them at a distinct disadvantage. I live beside a settled traveller family, none of the adults can read beyond basic primary level, they regularly ask me to read the 'big words' in their post ie the ones with 7+ letters. If that lack of knowledge is seen as a freedom in the community and younger generations aren't encouraged to aspire to more - which is the attitude I've seen - then I don't see why our society should facilitate that.

Pretty central to the Christian faith that only god decides who gets into heaven or hell. Even if he had burned a church down and pissed on its ashes, they would conduct his funeral.

He has the final decision, the meaning behind a funeral mass is to pray for the repose of the soul, they offer up an entire mass to the person.

It's not a right for any Confirmed Catholic to have a mass said, they don't have to pay you that courtesy if you lived a life of sin. Repenting is the big thing for Christians, just make sure it's before you draw your last breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I was talking to a few lads from Gorey in Wexford town last night. They said Gorey was in utter lockdown due to the funeral. It's an absolute disgrace. You have to feel for the business owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New show for TV3 now My Big Fat Gold Gypsy Funeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

That annoys you. Ever wonder why?

I have dealt first hand with these people for years, I personally have never had a good experience with them. I have been called out dozens of times to break ins in my job and been told face to face by the cops they can do nothing about it.

I understand that not all travellers are the same but every single one I've met have caused trouble to some extent and seem to above the law.

Hope that clears that up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I'm sure the headstone will be equally as tacky :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think God only has jurisdiction over the heaven club. He has no say in all the other places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

not yet wrote: »
    I understand that not all travellers are the same but every single one I've met have caused trouble to some extent and seem to above the law.

Your homework assignment is to gain an understanding of the term 'Déformation professionnelle'.

I want a 2000 word essay on 'Déformation professionnelle' on my desk by Tuesday morning. Don't ask questions. Don't refuse to do it. You must do it. Be good. Sit still. Concentrate. Behave. March in step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Me? wrote: »
    No mention that the man was killed in a cold blooded manner in front of his children. Just an excuse by most on this forum to attack every traveller.

Or no mention that this scumbag and his henchmen would have no problem terrorising an innocent couple in front of their children in the middle of the night in rural Ireland or beating a frail old pensioner to death to rob their lifes savings...:mad:
    Come off your high horse man.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Your homework assignment is to gain an understanding of the term 'Déformation professionnelle'.

I want a 2000 word essay on 'Déformation professionnelle' on my desk by Tuesday morning. Don't ask questions. Don't refuse to do it. You must do it. Be good. Sit still. Concentrate. Behave. March in step.
    Are you mistaking the high levels of criminality associated with the travelling community with some kind romantic and honorable anti establishment state of egalitarian liberation? Unfortunately it's nothing of the kind, just rampant scumbagery I'm afraid.

emo72 wrote: »
    i met the man a week before he died. he attempted to drive a hard bargain. i declined.

Is that why you killed him? THE BARGAIN JUST WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,323 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Me? wrote: »
    No mention that the man was killed in a cold blooded manner in front of his children. Just an excuse by most on this forum to attack every traveller.

To be fair, it's not contradictory to feel sorry for the kids, think his killers are scum (because of what and how they did it) and still think the victim was scum who had it coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm sure the funeral mass will be a sombre religious affair with all the traveller girls in attendance attired in the same clothing they'd wear at the Knock Pilgrimage or Saints day processions..... i.e. Neon pink and green boob tubes and micro skirts and knee high leopard print faux leather prozzie boots.

Stay classy girls :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm sure the funeral mass will be a sombre religious affair with all the traveller girls in attendance attired in the same clothing they'd wear at the Knock Pilgrimage or Saints day processions..... i.e. Neon pink and green boob tubes and micro skirts and knee high leopard print faux leather prozzie boots.

Stay classy girls :D

It's their fashion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Don't they torch their caravans when someone dies in it? I wonder will they torch their fine house?
    Or do their 'traditions' not stretch that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

There's a little group of bungalows in nutgrove Dublin. Two of them have been torched. They've been abandoned for quite some time now. But I'm sure the taxpayer will be made to pony up to have them rebuilt at some stage. It's also not the first time houses have been burned down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

St. Peter had better watch his gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

josip wrote: »
    I think God only has jurisdiction over the heaven club. He has no say in all the other places.

I've been trying to avoid this for a while now but I have some news about this "God" fella...

I've been trying to avoid this for a while now but I have some news about this "God" fella...

Spill the beans..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So any one got a loan of a metal detector and shovel ,

Promise to share all treasure found ( i swear on gods life ) ;)

Gatling wrote: »
    So any one got a loan of a metal detector and shovel ,

Promise to share all treasure found ( i swear on gods life ;)

Well you could also go to St Michaels Cemetery in gorey and look for the fresh grave with the Guards standing by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm sure the headstone will be equally as tacky :D

No, it'll fit right in with all the surrounding headstones and will be understated and tasteful...

*sniggers*

• Advertisement

Snake wrote: »
    Well you could also go to St Michaels Cemetery in gorey and look for the fresh grave with the Guards standing by it

Ah Jaysus, at least let him go cold first..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Snake wrote: »

Im sure there's going to be tea breaks and holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

I call shotgun on his gold rolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...and the Guards wouldn't be capable of digging a wee hole. To make up for the overtime we lost because of that fecker Garth Brooks, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,392 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

...and the Guards wouldn't be capable of digging a wee hole. To make up for the overtime we lost because of that fecker Garth Brooks, like.

Had Garth a concert in Gorey?
    That was kept quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

who will take over now?does he have many in his gang?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

He shouldn't have been given a Catholic funeral. That tacky coffin was paid for with the proceeds of crime so CAB should have stopped the funeral and f***ed his body in the gutter. I predict a resurrection sometime soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not contradictory to feel sorry for the kids, think his killers are scum (because of what and how they did it) and still think the victim was scum who had it coming

I've a lot of sympathy for his kids, no child should experience that but he is responsible for mixing in circles that put his family in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

I think this is done. Between the racism, stereotype rants and Garth Brooks there has been little actual discussion

-KERSPLAT!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement