Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best "Handling" 2012 new car?

• 21-07-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

I'm getting a new car quickly in next few weeks. It is quite sudden so haven't given much thought (and don't have much time to give it more consideration before I have to make decision)

If it was in 2013 I would be going for a new version Mazda 6. Looks beautiful based on the glimpses and artist's impressions.

I also like Mazda handling and Ummmph.

But it is not 2013......:-(........so would appreciate pointers.

Looking at large Saloons or compact SUV. Good spec, handling, power and looks.

Would really appreciate feedback. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SUV and handling don't usually go hand in hand.

Just curious to how you'd define handling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Good question....................

I like the way Mazda 6's from 2003 and 2008 onwards "handle" and I've always heard that they have ranked highly for handling

The drive experience. Mixture of power, responsiveness, cornering, holding the road?

Probably right, scrap SUV as if I was getting one it would be CX5 based on the reviews of "handling" spec etc but I hate the front of it in real life (looks nice in pictures), might grow on me but also a long wait for delivery.

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what handling is, id define it as how it drives on the limit. What happens when you push it. Grip is not handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

BMW 3 or 5 series.

End of thread surely?

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

narommy wrote: »
    Good question....................

I like the way Mazda 6's from 2003 and 2008 onwards "handle" and I've always heard that they have ranked highly for handling

The drive experience. Mixture of power, responsiveness, cornering, holding the road?

Probably right, scrap SUV as if I was getting one it would be CX5 based on the reviews of "handling" spec etc but I hate the front of it in real life (looks nice in pictures), might grow on me but also a long wait for delivery.

Thanks

Have a look at Hyundai i35. Compact SUV with all the trimmings. Look nice on the road and handle well:)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what handling is, id define it as how it drives on the limit. What happens when you push it. Grip is not handling.

So how it behaves:

when you come into a bend a bit too hard (in snow or otherwise)?

Or when you power out of bend?

Or when you have to respond quickly to other drivers dodgy manouvers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

.....or thinking on, if you must have an SUV and given Ireland's climate, maybe one of the Audi Q5 Quattros.

Apparently the least-depreciating car in the UK too.

I would get a 328i!

SSE

BMW 3 or 5 series.

End of thread surely?

SSE

€30-32k new

Thread resumed............. :D

.....or thinking on, if you must have an SUV and given Ireland's climate, maybe one of the Audi Q5 Quattros.

Apparently the least-depreciating car in the UK too.

I would get a 328i!

SSE

Audi would be nice and if depreciation is low then prob not too bad on contract hire but the optics would not be good.

Only interested in SUV to be up higher so I can look over the hedges and admire fields of cattle!! And see the brake lights of cars ahead of immediately preceeding car

The IX35 is a nice looking vehicle too. but also liking the

I wonder what the mini countryman Cooper drives like, it'd be in budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Best handling new car of 2012 is the Toyota GT86. Buy it, f**k the lack of space in the rear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the Ford Kuga handles fairly well for an "SUV".
    I have driven the C MAx with the the 2.2 200bhp Diesel and its quick ( better with the Auto box admittedly as the power band is fairly narrow )
    I think the 163bhp 2.0 would be enough for Irish tastes as you might never sell on the one with "higher freekin tax" :eek:

RobAMerc wrote: »
    the Ford Kuga handles fairly well for an "SUV".
    I have driven the C MAx with the the 2.2 200bhp Diesel and its quick ( better with the Auto box admittedly as the power band is fairly narrow )
    I think the 163bhp 2.0 would be enough for Irish tastes as you might never sell on the one with "higher freekin tax" :eek:
    Key statement highlighted there though!!
    I'd say your original Mazda 6 suggestion is as good as you'll get in a saloon without going to the BMW side, which adds to the expense.
    Try get the higher power 2.2 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Best handling new car of 2012 is the Toyota GT86. Buy it, f**k the lack of space in the rear!
    What about the Elise/Exige? No rear to worry about space in.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The only decent handling SUV is the Porsche Cayenne but its a little on the pricey side.
    Was the best handling, Reviews tell me the X6-M (/X5-M) is meant to be the best handling (in the true sense) SUV. :pac:
    ella24 wrote: »
    The Mazda CX-9 is a three-row crossover SUV that delivers sporty performance without compromising on family-friendly qualities, like a roomy and easily accessed third-row seat. If you're in the market for a family crossover but need it to be fun in the corners, the CX-9 is for you.
    <spam link snipped>

Lol, sell many of them do we? I assume the bot above isnt aware the CX-9 isnt even available here, would cost well over EUR32k if it was and isnt even its own platform, its shared with a bunch of floaty American sedans.
    The CX-7 on the otherhand does handle well for an SUV (as its a purpose built sports cross over) however its no longer available. I dont know how the smaller and newer CX-5 compares.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd say your original Mazda 6 suggestion is as good as you'll get in a saloon without going to the BMW side, which adds to the expense.
    Try get the higher power 2.2 though.

That's the only engine available now in new cars according to Mazda Ireland http://www.mazda.ie/cars/mazda6-hatchback/specs-and-prices/

Tabnabs wrote: »
    [/B]
    That's the only engine available now in new cars according to Mazda Ireland http://www.mazda.ie/cars/mazda6-hatchback/specs-and-prices/
    You mean the lower powered one is the only one available.
    I know, shame really. But about 18 months ago you could order the Z-Sport 185bhp one.

ella24 wrote: »
    The Mazda CX-9 is a three-row crossover SUV that delivers sporty performance without compromising on family-friendly qualities, like a roomy and easily accessed third-row seat. If you're in the market for a family crossover but need it to be fun in the corners, the CX-9 is for you.

Maybe you should list Edmunds.com as the word-for-word source?

Anyway I'm banning you as you just copy and paste stuff, you may be a robot or something and I'm afraid of robots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

You mean the lower powered one is the only one available.
    I know, shame really. But about 18 months ago you could order the Z-Sport 185bhp one.

heck if i was to get one i'd get the 3 MPS but import costs and such alone puts me right off.. :(

Advertisement