Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda 1.2 TSI engine

Options
  • 01-03-2012 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I will be changing my car later in the year and have started doing some research. I will be buying new or nearly new with the plan being to keep it for 10 years and after reading so much on here about modern diesels it will be a petrol. I was wondering whether the 1.2 TSI engine in the Skoda Fabia is good or does it have lots of technology like the diesels that keep the emissions low and may result in costly repairs during the 10 years.On their website Skoda make a point of this. There is also a 70bhp engine available. Would this be a better bet than the 86 bhp TSI? I cetainly haven't decided on a Fabia as of yet but just know nothing about these engines.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The bigger 1.4tsi has been reliable enough. But if you are set on buying the 86bhp (as opposed to the 105bhp) 1.2tsi I'd look at a less complex engine of that size. Many give similar performance but don't have a design that is, IMO, needlessly complex. If I was going for one I'd go for the 105bhp one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

The 1.2 TSI is 105 bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

My girlfriends dad has the 1.2TSI Octavia and as of yet it hasn't gave a minute of trouble. In saying that, it still only has small enough mileage on it. Those engines are relatively new so any potential downfalls may not have been discovered yet.
    I drove it a while back and it performed really well and was surprisingly nippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

nudger wrote: »
    The 1.2 TSI is 105 bhp.

There is also a 85bhp version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I have this engine in my car and its brilliant. Very nippy and very economical too. No dpf or dmf to worry about. The injectors and turbo are the only things that might give trouble, but that could be said for any engine and it's fairly new so wouldn't be fair to speculate. Go for the 105bhp if you can. Very impressive to drive considering its size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is also a 85bhp version of it.

Only in the combi AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It was also favourably reviewed on the Yeti, and that car is much heavier than the Fabia.

Obviously it runs out of poke eventually, but for most driving conditions it seems to be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Surprising that the 105 is in a higher VRT band. I'd be inclined to go for the 85 bhp version myself that being the case - it is in a lower tax band than the 105 and also the less powerful three cylinder models (the TSI has four cylinders so it should be quieter and smoother to boot, although the three cylinder engines in the Fabia are very good for what they are).

Advertisement