Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi S3 Differential

Options
  • 24-11-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have a 02 S3 and the differential seems to be gone. When turning (in gear) or reversing, there is a very strong rubbing feeling shuddering the car and up through the steering wheel.

I have had a mechanic look at it and he confirmed this, but said it would cost 000's to repair. Would anyone know if it's possible replace with a second-hand diff?

Any advice would be great..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Every part is possible to replace. Not that hard job fpr good mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That would be a quattro?

Then it's your haldex thingy that's broken ..no idea what they cost though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jrs3

peasant wrote: »
    That would be a quattro?

Then it's your haldex thingy that's broken ..no idea what they cost though

It's a Quattro, yep. Have heard mention of this Haldex thing recently too..

1st get a quote from your mechanic, play a dumb, usually they like to screw people. And if he does screw you, find another one :)

Heres 1 link for ya http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rear-diff-haldex-unit-Audi-S3-breaking-parts-/110612066970?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c0fe329a

Look around and ask sellers for discount :)

In UK you might find them cheaper (not much) but then you have to add shipping price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

jrs3 wrote: »
    It's a Quattro, yep. Have heard mention of this Haldex thing recently too..

Get onto an audi forum and ask what did others do when they had a problem. Also might be able to point you towards a lower cost supplier than Audi.

Diffs need maintenance too, especially fancy ones like haldex

• Advertisement

MarkoC wrote: »
    1st get a quote from your mechanic, play a dumb, usually they like to screw people. And if he does screw you, find another one :)

Heres 1 link for ya http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rear-diff-haldex-unit-Audi-S3-breaking-parts-/110612066970?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c0fe329a

Look around and ask sellers for discount :)

In UK you might find them cheaper (not much) but then you have to add shipping price.

Thanks for this..gives me something to start looking for. I'm lucky in that I've got a mechanic working for next to nothing, he suggested I get the part for him..

Ferris wrote: »
    Get onto an audi forum and ask what did others do when they had a problem. Also might be able to point you towards a lower cost supplier than Audi.

Diffs need maintenance too, especially fancy ones like haldex

Only learned that they needed maintenance after the fact :( I've had the car a little over a year and noticed the noise. I had had it checked by carcheckireland.com (since defunct) and he said it was a little rubbing, nothing to worry about.:mad:

jrs3 wrote: »
    Thanks for this..gives me something to start looking for. I'm lucky in that I've got a mechanic working for next to nothing, he suggested I get the part for him..
    Oh you grand so :)
    Vagdrivers.net will be your next local bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

The haldex wouldnt even be engaged reversing. Its rare for the mechanics of the haldex coupling to give trouble its normally just the electronic controller that causes issues.

The differentials are known to give trouble.

Diagnosis' on a forum by people that clearly dont know what they're talking about should be outlawed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

VeVeX wrote: »
    The haldex wouldnt even be engaged reversing.

So a haldex type quattro is 2WD only in reverse?

That's a bit pants when you get stuck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

peasant wrote: »
    So a haldex type quattro is 2WD only in reverse?

That's a bit pants when you get stuck :D

Its not for driving in fields. ;)

Its an electronically controlled active 4wd system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

VeVeX wrote: »
    Its not for driving in fields. ;)

:D quote of the day,

As a former haldex equipped car owner i agree its not a 4wd system designed for fields but more handling/stability.

OP sounds like you have another case of a Haldex set up that was never serviced,all to common on haldex cars in this country i'm afraid.

Advertisement