Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been stood up?

• 30-08-2014 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

Sitting here in a packed restaurant in central London drinking wine and waiting for my very very late boyfriend to show up.

And I can't help but think, bet these lads at the next table think I'm on some first date but my date hasn't showed. Wondering if the waiting staff are placing bets on how long it will take him to show / them to leave..

So AH, entertain me. Ever been stood up? Or did the standing up? Feck it, lets make it general - most appalling/mortifying dating experience youve had?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

Never stood up. Had a few turn on their heels and walk away when they first saw me though. :(

Men can be cruel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

beks101 wrote: »
    Sitting here in a packed restaurant in central London drinking wine and waiting for my very very late boyfriend to show up.

And I can't help but think, bet these lads at the next table think I'm on some first date but my date hasn't showed. Wondering if the waiting staff are placing bets on how long it will take him to show / them to leave..

So AH, entertain me. Ever been stood up? Or did the standing up? Feck it, lets make it general - most appalling/mortifying dating experience youve had?

Smug post is subtle but still smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Augmerson wrote: »

He chose her, Augmerson, you have to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I was stood up once. I was going to go on a blind date with a guy after being set up by my girl friend at the time. They were supposed to pick me up at 7 pm and never showed until 11 pm. I never even bothered to open my front door of my apartment when my gf knocked. Switched off the tv, lights and went to bed.

Macavity. wrote: »
    He chose her, Augmerson, you have to move on.

I can see I've been laboring under a misapprehension.

• Advertisement

I can see I've been laboring under a misapprehension.

Darcy? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Was out on a date once when her mother showed up.

Ewe should have seen her face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I stood up a girl once. In the time before mobile phones I met my girlfriend at a bar. I went inside to wait, she thought we were waiting outside. She waited outside for 40 minutes for me. I was on my second pint when she came inside. My god she was pissed with me.

Darcy? :eek:

I like you Lizzie Jones. Very much.

Just as you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Never, thank god. The trick is to never show up in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I stood up a few guys in my younger more obnoxious days. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I prefer a good lie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I didn't pick it up as smug.

I just picked up late and thought "Oh Fcuk she's genna kill him"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

I'd a date cancel 2 hours ahead of time, hurt pretty bad, as pathetic as it is - she's been sniffing around again and I can't wait to tell her fluck off if she hints at a date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Once, and it was the straw that broke the camels back, dumped her immediately afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ever been stood up? Or did the standing up?

I stood up once. In fact I stand up quite often. In fact I stood up a couple of minutes ago.

I didn't pick it up as smug.

It was just a joke, maybe a bad joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah, but it was back in the day before mobiles and Facebook etc. She took violently I'll and couldn't show up, and had no way of contacting me before I set off.

In those days, a phone call once a week was the norm, sometimes to the neighnours phone as not every family had a phone.

Wearing an onion on your belt was fashionable at the time if I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

thelad95 wrote: »
    I stood up once. In fact I stand up quite often. In fact I stood up a couple of minutes ago.

Lucky girl. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Me? wrote: »
    Never stood up. Had a few turn on their heels and walk away when they first saw me though. :(

Men can be cruel.

Aw , the fcukers.We're not all bad though.

My ex wife stood me up once , thats not why she's my ex.

She wanted me to meet some of her friends and be polite and not drink much , not a chance says I .Most of what happened is a blur , but I crashed through the front door about 4am smashing into a stupid little poxy table with a phone and potted plant on it.

We're still friends .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I was stood up once. I was going to go on a blind date with a guy after being set up by my girl friend at the time. They were supposed to pick me up at 7 pm and never showed until 11 pm. I never even bothered to open my front door of my apartment when my gf knocked. Switched off the tv, lights and went to bed.

I like that. 4 hrs late? 'Scuse me while I go wash my hair. Feel free to wait outside until i'm done. I might be a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I deliberately missed a call earlier and then put the phone on silent for the night. I'll just say I had it on airplane mode while it was charging. not so much standing someone up, just avoiding having to ever leave my cocoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Aw , the fcukers.We're not all bad though.

My ex wife stood me up once , thats not why she's my ex.

She wanted me to meet some of her friends and be polite and not drink much , not a chance says I .Most of what happened is a blur , but I crashed through the front door about 4am smashing into a stupid little poxy table with a phone and potted plant on it.

We're still friends .

No wonder she's your ex.

Oink wrote: »
    I like that. 4 hrs late? 'Scuse me while I go wash my hair. Feel free to wait outside until i'm done. I might be a couple of days.

I got her back a few days later. One of our mutual friends and I and she headed to downtown Toronto one fine warm summer evening. It was the thing to do in Toronto in the late 70s ...walk up and down Yonge street and see what sort of mischief we could get into.
    Anyway, long story short when she was using the washrooms Paul (the mutual friend) and I took off on her. She was so pissed off at us the next day. :D

We did the same thing to her the next weekend too (after several minutes of reassuring her that we wouldn't). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well, OP, if you're still sat in the restaurant - he's two hours late. But never mind because you're twisted drunk by now and cursing the day men were invented.
    By the way, are you interested in dinner tomorrow night ? You're paying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got stood up this morning. It wasn't for a date, it was for a meeting. My contact never turned up and his phone was turned off. If it was a date, I'd have taken the hint. Seeing as it was a business meeting, though, I'm a little more concerned about what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I met my current bf on a night out. Anyway he added me on fb and asked me did I want to go to lunch. We were both broke students so it would only be the student canteen. He decided to give blood the same day. I met him while he was waiting to give blood and ended up waiting for a half an hour. Eventually I had to leave and get my lunch myself because I had to go back to lectures.

That's the only time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have a habit of standing people up. I'd die if it happened to me. I don't do it to hurt people, I just over think and panic and work myself into such a state it seems easier not to show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Faith wrote: »
    I got stood up this morning. It wasn't for a date, it was for a meeting. My contact never turned up and his phone was turned off. If it was a date, I'd have taken the hint. Seeing as it was a business meeting, though, I'm a little more concerned about what happened.

Felt bad after reading that. I just sent a text to apologise for missing calls. :(

• Advertisement

I have a habit of standing people up. I'd die if it happened to me. I don't do it to hurt people, I just over think and panic and work myself into such a state it seems easier not to show up.

Dates or just people in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Dates or just people in general?

First dates. I've done it three and a half times.

1st was with a guy I liked for ages but he was a complete player, anyway, after months of treating me bad, he asked me out. I agreed to go, and never showed up. This only made him more interested though and he asked me out twice afterwards but I never committed myself to anything after that.

2nd was my friend in Canada before he got married. I met him years and years ago in America one summer. He flew to Ireland with his dad and his brothers and I wouldn't meet him. The following summer, after major heart to hearts he came to Ireland again, this time on his own. I made it as far as the hotel bar he was staying at, (in Dublin) and just as I was standing outside an ambulance drove past and he heard the same siren as I did, and I completely panicked and ran away. He was so patient but I was absolutely freaked and couldn't do it.

3rd was actually a boardsie, we were talking for a few months, agreed to meet (as just friends), he showed up. I wouldn't meet him, I was so worried he'd hate me in real life. He waited around for ages, I felt bad, he was really patient with me, understood, wasn't mad at me, didn't ridicule me, so like 5 hours later, I calmed down enough to go meet him. So, technically I didn't really stand him up, but almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

OMG are you still on that!!

I already explained to you, I only turned up at 11 because I'm a horrible, horrible person. If you can't deal with that then maybe we won't work out, it's almost as if you have.... like....self worth or something!

stmol32 wrote: »
    OMG are you still on that!!

I already explained to you, I only turned up at 11 because I'm a horrible, horrible person. If you can't deal with that then maybe we won't work out, it's almost as if you have.... like....self worth or something!

I'm willing to give you a second chance. :D

pharmaton wrote: »
    Felt bad after reading that. I just sent a text to apologise for missing calls. :(

Good to hear! At least something positive came from my massive waste of time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Once was invited back to a girls flat after meeting her in a club, I got the flat number and arrived at her flat about 20 minutes after seeing her (reason for leaving are long and complicated).
    Pressed the buzzer for her flat and she buzzed me up, arrived up to the door, knocked and no answer, but I could hear some movement inside, awarkard.
    So standing there like a spare prick at a wedding I turned and left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Gay dating can be a nightmare of shallowness, meanness and odd behaviour, I had a first date look me and down on first meeting say "nah" and walk off. Another date legged it while I went up to the bar to order beer, I came back to an empty table with two pints of Guinness. I sat there waiting for a bit puzzled thinking he went to the loo, then text and nothing. Sat there, drank the two pints then went home. I had a lucky escape on both counts.

I'm willing to give you a second chance. :D

Oh go on then let's give it another go.

Let's go for a drink here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91986660 I'm guessing it'll be the quietest pub in Dublin tonight for a a chatnapint.:pac:

Faith wrote: »
    Good to hear! At least something positive came from my massive waste of time :)

And I just got a call apologising and rescheduling! (I'm 8 hours behind, so it was an appropriate early-evening call, not a middle-of-the-night call.)

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Gay dating can be a nightmare of shallowness, meanness and odd behaviour, I had a first date look me and down on first meeting say "nah" and walk off. Another date legged it while I went up to the bar to order beer, I came back to an empty table with two pints of Guinness. I sat there waiting for a bit puzzled thinking he went to the loo, then text and nothing. Sat there, drank the two pints then went home. I had a lucky escape on both counts.

I have to ask out of curiousity do you reckon gay dating is more fraught than straight dating generally?

It's possible that you just had the misfortune to meet two arseholes or is this something that happens more with gay blind (I'm presuming based on your post) dates than straight.

I only ask because I've recently started dating again after a hiatus and I always expect the worst like those (excuse me) c**nts.

I'm guessing it'll be the quietest pub in Dublin tonight for a a chatnapint.:pac:

The chance of getting shot is pretty much nil by now. :D

• Advertisement

The chance of getting shot is pretty much nil by now. :D

That sounds like a double-dare to me!
    To be fair LizzieJones you've never been on a blind date with me, I've been shot shot by both datee and bar tender on a frighteningly regular basis.

I'm starting to slowly think maybe it's actually me and not them, am I wrong?

I'm starting to slowly think maybe it's actually me and not them, am I wrong?

You're probably not wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Ah ye're a lively bunch! Himself walked in the door seconds after I posted this, then drank way too much wine and woke up with my face stuck to the pillow about 20 minutes ago. I also curiously have a completely smashed up phone. Ugh. Wine is never a good choice.

I don't know what I'd do if I was ever actually stood up for a date. Especially after making a real effort to look nice. Probably either track him down and publicly humiliate him in the best/worst possible way or have a few drinks and find someone else to hang out with.

pauliebdub wrote: »

That's f*cking lousy mate, hope you have or have had better luck in the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

That's f*cking lousy mate, hope you have or have had better luck in the future!

I laugh it off and consider it a lucky escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would be lucky to get to the point where I could be stood up!

My girlfriend would probably be pissed at me if I was going out with other women though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No one comes close enough to me to set up a date or stand me up :cool: #hahaimsoalone

cloud493 wrote: »
    No one comes close enough to me to set up a date or stand me up :cool: #hahaimsoalone

I'll stand you up if you want?

Meet me at the spire for 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Can't be bothered going into town :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

cloud493 wrote: »
    Can't be bothered going into town :pac:

Burn........ :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement