Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kindle paperwhite, are they worth buying as well as buying a tablet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Long Gone wrote: »
    How can you use an Android tablet as an eReader ? Is there an app you can download somewhere ? I have loads of ebooks in Kindle format but no idea how I can read them on my Google Nexus......:confused:
    The FBReader app is able to read unencrypted Kindle files (MOBI format) as well as the open EPUB format (and others). There are various ways of getting them on to the tablet: I just use Dropbox, mark them Favourite (so they stay on), and launch from there.

The nice thing about FBreader is that it's very customisable. There's a Night mode, which I've customised to show green on black.

If the MOBI files are encrypted for Kindle, however, you will need the Kindle app.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

bnt wrote: »
    The FBReader app is able to read unencrypted Kindle files (MOBI format) as well as the open EPUB format (and others). There are various ways of getting them on to the tablet: I just use Dropbox, mark them Favourite (so they stay on), and launch from there.

The nice thing about FBreader is that it's very customisable. There's a Night mode, which I've customised to show green on black.

If the MOBI files are encrypted for Kindle, however, you will need the Kindle app.

Thanks - I hadn't thought of using Dropbox. I will need to download it onto my Nexus. Not sure if my MOBI files are encrypted or not. I will try them with the FBReader app and find out..

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

I used a tablet for reading for years and never had a problem with it. Well, except battery life. When they announced the paperwhite, I couldn't wait for it, figured it was exactly what i needed.

Bought it day one and hated it. Maybe it was because i was so used to the lcd screens for reading but I just could not get used to reading on the Kindle. Ended up returning it and getting a mini instead. Could read for 7-8 hours with no eyestrain whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can only echo what others have posted. The kindle is 'designed to do a thing'. Your tablet will 'do that thing but wasn't designed to do it'. You really can tell the difference in use.

I've recently started using http://calibre-ebook.com/ . I find it brilliant. Kinda like iTunes for ebooks. It'll also convert from ePub to mobi for use with the paperwhite.

Long Gone wrote: »
    Thanks ! They're Kindle books (.mobi) given to me on an external hard drive.

I'll download an ebook reader from Google play and then try to figure out how to get the ebook files onto my Nexus. Nor sure if I will have to e-mail them to say hotmail and then open on the Nexus ? I've never downloaded anything onto my Nexus from an external device before.... :confused:

If they're Kindle .mobi books, then download the Kindle app for simplicity. It's free. To put the books on the Nexus plug the usb cable into your laptop, expand the Nexus directories, and drag and drop the .mobi files from your laptop into the Kindle app. No need to mail them to yourself or anything.

If you want to use Calibre, you can email them to your Kindle app email address (under settings, not your Amazon email) direct from the program. It's easy to set up, I use it all the time to send work documents to my Kindle and my tablet. Try sideloading them if you don't want to master Calibre first :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If you're thinking of buying one, I'd hold off a wee while. One of the competing brands has just announced or launched a waterproof version (finally), so the waterproof kindle is around the corner. That's my next upgrade from the old grey non-touchscreen version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Just my .02 cents but....

I wouldn't buy a Kindle Paperwhite. It sounds really nice and all, but I'd recommend saving the money and buying a better tablet. I'd get something like an ASUS T100.

I have a Kindle and a Nook and I never use either of them. The eInk crap is fine and all but I never read in direct sunlight. I'd much rather have a tablet with vivid colour that can accurately show the layout of the book, with images, in full colour.

A tablet might cost 2x as much, but it will do 10x as much stuff. I read books on my tablet a lot, but I can also watch Netflix, surf the web, check my e-mail, play games. When I go to a hotel, most of the time, I can plug the HDMI cable into the TV and bam - I've got a first class entertainment system. I have emulators and roms on that thing, so I'm also bringing every NES/SNES/SEGA game with me and I can plug in my PS3 controller and play. Same deal with music. The T100 has a full keyboard too, included in the 349 EUR price, but it's detachable. I also use it for making international phone calls with Skype. I love that thing. And the battery is really good. If I'm just reading books, with the brightness kinda low, it'd last days. If I'm doing stuff - 8-9 hours.

My Nook/Kindle are fine for reading certain types of books (without pictures of meaningful formatting) and the battery seems to last forever. But I never use them because the tablet is better, IMHO.

But, I've never had any problems with eye strain or headaches. If you do, then it might be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Bought a Kindle White before heading on Holidays this year, and have to say it's a lovely device for reading on, no eyestrain and I actually found it easier to read on then actual paperbacks, I would highly recommend purchasing one for reading books, also you can get good ebook deals on amazon.com (which is where your paperwhite connects to when browsing the store) I picked up Gone Girl for under €2. Highly Recommended!

Advertisement