Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving with family from Norway to Galway

Options
  • 27-04-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi! I was really hoping someone could help...

We're a family of four and we currently live in Norway, I'm irish and my husband is Icelandic.
    I was wondering as I've never lived in Galway what the best places to rent an appropriate apartment for us with children would be? I've also thought of the problem of renting without having had face-to-face contact and the only references we have are norwegian... is this a big problem?

Also I was wondering about schooling... I have a 9-year old son and a 4-year old daughter. The children speak English, no problem, but again, they've been schooled in the norwegian system which I know is quite different and is a few years behind Ireland in general.
    We're truly hoping to move early in the Summer, I am completely inlove with Galway and I'm so set on us moving... but of course there's a lot to have planned first... which is difficult as we don't know anyone there either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

First and foremost have you got employment arranged in Galway for either yourself or hubby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fantasyauthor

Of course :-) I have a job offer there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are many many threads on moving to Galway, you can have a read of them (several include moving with kids) and see what advice people have given in the past.
    www.google.com/search?q=moving+to+galway+site:www.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Primary schools run here until July but you would really need to get in touch now to secure a place in a school for your child. If you need to get your kids assessed to see what classes your 9 year old will fit into you'd need to get that underway before July too.

Most people with kids in Galway live in houses. It might mean your kids would find it easier to make friends and find other kids to play with if you live in a housing estate. Maybe you've thought of that but just an idea if not. Good sites to look on for accom. would be :

http://www.daft.ie/
    myhome.ie
    www.galwayadvertiser.ie in the classifieds section.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If those other threads Biko linked you to don't help re areas, then post here again and tell us where you will be working. We need to know that to give good advice about where to live. Everything else follows after that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement