Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QualPEX throughout the house?

• 20-01-2014 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

QualPEX for the immersion, QualPEX for the rads, QualPEX for all hot and cold pipes, and not a copper pipe in sight . . .

Is this acceptable? is it a proper replacement for the old copper pipes, and will it last? (specially on the immersion).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Qualpex will sag when hot so not ideal for piping where it can be seen. No self respecting plumber would install it where it can be seen. It can be used in the hot press but not within close proximity to the boiler although I have and it is fine but not good practice. I would not use any joint except soldered copper under floors in lagging. Solder seems rare in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

LordSutch wrote: »
    QualPEX for the immersion, QualPEX for the rads, QualPEX for all hot and cold pipes, and not a copper pipe in sight . . .

Is this acceptable? is it a proper replacement for the old copper pipes, and will it last? (specially on the immersion).

NO. copper should have been used at immersion,boiler,stove,etc,
    if the water gets hotter than the temp specified for the qualpex, you WILL have problems,not to mention flooding the house!
    get him back and replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Qualpex is rated for continuous use at temperatures upto 92C so this would be absolutely fine around the house & hot press. It is not permitted within 1.0m of any boiler & nowhere on the primary circuit for solid fuel systems.

The problem & issue with qualpex in a hot press is the flexible nature of it. Firstly, it looks like crap in a hot press & secondly, a hot press is a often frequented getting clothes & linen & thus continuous movement of it can leads to leaks/weaps.

For me, qualpex shouldn't be seen, so as soon as it rises from a floor, it should transition to copper. I also hate it rising from floors to rads, unless it can be hidden with white or chrome sleeves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You are supposed to clip it to something! It will expand and sag much more than copper but if it is properly clipped and supported it will not leak if installed correctly using pipe inserts of course.

freddyuk wrote: »
    You are supposed to clip it to something! It will expand and sag much more than copper but if it is properly clipped and supported it will not leak if installed correctly using pipe inserts of course.

And what is it clipped to when it travels from the wall to the coil of the cylinder or the wall to the hot water outlet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 donedl1

As most plumbers will tell you, it should always be connected at least a metre from the boiler and the pipework on the cylinder should always be in copper. Other than the fact that it needs more clips than copper it is decent enough pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

shane0007 wrote: »
    Qualpex is rated for continuous use at temperatures upto 92C so this would be absolutely fine around the house & hot press. It is not permitted within 1.0m of any boiler & nowhere on the primary circuit for solid fuel systems.

The problem & issue with qualpex in a hot press is the flexible nature of it. Firstly, it looks like crap in a hot press & secondly, a hot press is a often frequented getting clothes & linen & thus continuous movement of it can leads to leaks/weaps.

For me, qualpex shouldn't be seen, so as soon as it rises from a floor, it should transition to copper. I also hate it rising from floors to rads, unless it can be hidden with white or chrome sleeves.

Spot on! Any plumber with any bit of pride in his work should only use copper where pipe work is seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Froststop wrote: »
    Spot on! Any plumber with any bit of pride in his work should only use copper where pipe work is seen.

or use alupex.

personally I am not a fan of "qualpex" or similar pipes.
    But in fairness it has been associated with bad plumbers and cheap work qiving it a very bad image.
    Like most things qualpex has its place and if used correctly there is nothing wrong with it, and the white versions like speedfit and heat merchants own brand are more aesthetically pleasing.

TPM wrote: »
    or use alupex.

personally I am not a fan of "qualpex" or similar pipes.
    But in fairness it has been associated with bad plumbers and cheap work qiving it a very bad image.
    Like most things qualpex has its place and if used correctly there is nothing wrong with it, and the white versions like speedfit and heat merchants own brand are more aesthetically pleasing.
    I'm a recent convert to multi-player with crimped fittings. But like everything, it has it's use & place.

I'm a recent convert to multi-player with crimped fittings. But like everything, it has it's use & place.

I started using it along time ago with underfloor heating and gradually used it more and more in general plumbing in new builds/extensions but it is not practical to try mix and match with existing systems.
    in the last while it has become alot more competitive in price which helps, but having to have another complete system of fittings is a bit of a pain

• Advertisement

The other issue is the restrictions in the fittings so when 20mm (3/4") would normally be used, it has to be stepped up to 26mm. Fittings are far from cheap too!

very true even the 26mm is small enough internally.
    It has a 3mm wall which is 6mm off the daimeter leaving 20mm inside which is just about on a par with 3/4" copper not to mention the extreme reduction in diameter of the fittings

Advertisement