Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League Of Ireland Fixtures (WEEK 5) 30/31 March 2021

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We are disappointed. In fact, you will not find anyone who would say they are happy with 1 point from 4 games. But why dwell on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

dan1895 wrote: »
    What's this? The year when Bohs next score a league goal?

The remains of Dalymount I'd imagine. :pac:

tumbleweeds01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gimmick wrote: »
    We are disappointed. In fact, you will not find anyone who would say they are happy with 1 point from 4 games. But why dwell on it?
    Because its fun to laugh at the misfortune of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Just back from Tallaght stadium, tickets sorted :cool:

You should pick the little lad up a jersey for the night. It's red with Cab 2000 on the front. You could easily get one in Elverys or Lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

CSF wrote: »
    You should pick the little lad up a jersey for the night. It's red with Cab 2000 on the front. You could easily get one in Elverys or Lifestyle.
    Thought our stuff was exclusive to the club shop these days?

Thought our stuff was exclusive to the club shop these days?
    I've seen them around, not the new one yet of course seeing as they've just had the sponsor put on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/7715/

Shels vs Pats preview, nice to see the stat i posted yesterday went to good use :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bohs fan heading to the Rovers game tonight. Gives me goosebumps like no other fixture. I reckon it's the best buzz you can find in this country at a stadium. And yes, it's perfectly safe to go to this fixture in Tallaght if you drive or bus it. Just dont hang around to see the dopes shouting at each other behind Garda lines. As stated though, the LUAS can be a tad dodgy.

Just wondering, what are the other Dublin derby fixtures like for atmosphere etc? i.e Pat's vs Shels, Pat's vs Rovers and Rovers vs Shels. Is there venom at all between ye?

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bohs fan heading to the Rovers game tonight. Gives me goosebumps like no other fixture. I reckon it's the best buzz you can find in this country at a stadium. And yes, it's perfectly safe to go to this fixture in Tallaght if you drive or bus it. Just dont hang around to see the dopes shouting at each other behind Garda lines. As stated though, the LUAS can be a tad dodgy.

Just wondering, what are the other Dublin derby fixtures like for atmosphere etc? i.e Pat's vs Shels, Pat's vs Rovers and Rovers vs Shels. Is there venom at all between ye?
    Nah we wait til we play a real Dublin team like Bohs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pats and Rovers has been decent the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

And yes, it's perfectly safe to go to this fixture in Tallaght if you drive or bus it.

Not too sure about that. Safe inside stadium yes and stewards do a good job but the Guards in Tallaght are very poor. Maybe they'll bump up security for this match but it's certainly not a game I'd bring kids along to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

geeky wrote: »
    Bit of a poser - thinking of taking the 7-year-old to the Rovers-Bohs game on Friday. I know it's quite some time since I read of any trouble between the fans, but do you think it'll be an ok environment?
    Oh, and I presume it would help to buy tickets in advance!

Go by car, if possible. You don't want to be waiting around for public transport after a match at Shams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oh, I am all for that. I just go the impression that people felt that we as CCFC fans were ok with our current position and standing.

Will have no problem bringing my kids (as a home supporter) to this fixture when they're old enough. As do many parents as you will see tonight.

On the match, some people are getting cocky and expecting a big win but these games hardly go to form.

On cork, I wouldn't be happy with the position but its the fifth match of the season folks.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Not too sure about that. Safe inside stadium yes and stewards do a good job but the Guards in Tallaght are very poor. Maybe they'll bump up security for this match but it's certainly not a game I'd bring kids along to.

Have to disagree to be honest. Anytime I've been to Tallaght the Garda have done a tremendous job, even to the point of overkill (in a good way!) I've not seen one incident kick off since Rovers moved out there. They dont need that carry on anymore as they are back as Ireland's number one team and have a brand that is appealing to people, and most importantly, local kids.

The noise, colour and atmosphere is what makes this our country's biggest derby and is possibly what could get future generations hooked. I really think it'd be a shame to keep anyone semi-interested away from this fixture. Sure it's on TV but ya just don't get the same from that 'experience'.... although that's a whole other can of worms!

Oh, I am all for that. I just go the impression that people felt that we as CCFC fans were ok with our current position and standing.
    No just the lad who tried to act like it didn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Des wrote: »

Pint later?

Have to disagree to be honest. Anytime I've been to Tallaght the Garda have done a tremendous job, even to the point of overkill (in a good way!) I've not seen one incident kick off since Rovers moved out there. They dont need that carry on anymore as they are back as Ireland's number one team and have a brand that is appealing to people, and most importantly, local kids.

The noise, colour and atmosphere is what makes this our country's biggest derby and is possibly what could get future generations hooked. I really think it'd be a shame to keep anyone semi-interested away from this fixture. Sure it's on TV but ya just don't get the same from that 'experience'.... although that's a whole other can of worms!

In the past two seasons Dundalk fans have been attacked. Setanta cup final was a joke where rovers fans were allowed to get the who way around to the turnstiles Dundalk fans were entering to attack them. A former Dundalk player with his kids was set upon also.
    http://www.argus.ie/news/hooded-attackers-ambush-town-fans-2650923.html

Shels fans have been attacked also on the LUAS.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-hunt-football-thugs-in-brutal-luas-attack-on-rival-fans-2058612.html

Just because you haven't witnessed something doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It's the least safe ground in the country for a Dundalk fan in my opinion and I can't imagine it would be any safer for a Bohs fan.

In the past two seasons Dundalk fans have been attacked. Setanta cup final was a joke where rovers fans were allowed to get the who way around to the turnstiles Dundalk fans were entering to attack them. A former Dundalk player with his kids was set upon also.
    http://www.argus.ie/news/hooded-attackers-ambush-town-fans-2650923.html

Shels fans have been attacked also on the LUAS.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-hunt-football-thugs-in-brutal-luas-attack-on-rival-fans-2058612.html

Just because you haven't witnessed something doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It's the least safe ground in the country for a Dundalk fan in my opinion and I can't imagine it would be any safer for a Bohs fan.

Ok fair enough, I take your points on board doncarlos. Maybe those games in particular weren't seen as a high risk by the authorities for whatever reason, I'm not sure. Not saying that's right or wrong.

However, I'm just giving my two-pence worth here saying that anytime I've been there i.e. at Rovers vs Bohs in Tallaght, the police have been absolutely organised in and around the stadium and the Square shopping centre in particular. This was in direct response to the earlier poster who was questioning whether or not to go to a game. I'd hate to discourage anyone from attending any league game on offer, especially arguably the biggest derby we have in the country.

Both clubs will always have an undesirable element attaching themselves to their teams I'm sure. But in my personal experience at this fixture, I haven't seen anything in years. It's far more family friendly than it used to be and long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Public transport before or after a Dublin Derby in Tallaght wouldn't really be a place to be. I wouldn't have brought my brother last week if it wasn't for the bus that went from Tolka.

That said if the lad is driving he shouldn't have any worries. Tallaght may be a bit worse than the other LOI grounds in Dublin, but I don't think there is a ground in Ireland you could consider unsafe.

The overwhelming majority of games at all grounds in the country have no issues and are much safer than games in England and probably much safer than a night out in an Irish city.

I have been on the end of intimidation/starting once in recent times (near Dalyer by Bohs) but I wouldn't use that as a basis to say it's unsafe as I've been to loads of derbies there with no issues. I probably wouldn't bring my kids to Dalyer until their teens but only because I think the police are too heavy-handed over there. If somebody is on the end of trouble once in their life in Grafton Street, does that make the area fundamentally unsafe?

I'm interested in attracting new people to the league (whatever club they go and see, even my rivals) and scaremongering doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been to enough games in Ireland, Scotland and England to know that most LOI grounds I don't see one bit of trouble.

You will always get few small incidents, but only once have I felt unsafe and that was an away day at Parkhead of all places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think no matter what ground you're at as an away fan there is potential for trouble. The back window of my car was put in in Dundalk before. The following season I decided to leave the car and get the bus only to be met with a hail of rocks and crap en route to our bus. The bus also took a bit of a battering.

Personally I've never seen any trouble in Tallaght although admittedly I don't get a bus or luas to the games. I've happily drank with some pats fans in the bar before going into richmond right behind the pub and not a bother at all. That said others have told stories of incidents around the place, personally I've never seen one.

I find it hard to believe a lot of stories I hear about LOI violence. Not saying it doesn't happen but I think a lot of it is the Joe Duffy mentality. The link above for example, I'd say the real story of that was the group of 30 was likely about 10 max. Still doesn't excuse it in any case, least of all if they were Rovers fans. Another example as a story I read online last season about trouble in the showgrounds when we played there. Apparently rocks, bottles etc... were hurled between both sets of Rovers fans that turned into a running riot behind the ground after. The area of the ground where the article said this happened I happened to be in and I can honestly tell you not one thing was thrown between the crowds and there wasn't one fight afterwards. The only thing that was thrown was a bottle from a Sligo fan onto the pitch. He was promptly dealt with by his fellow fans.

That said, I do find myself hoping there will be a complete battering handed out to a load of kids in Tallaght tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

Betting tips article for this weekend's games here if anyone's interested. League of Ireland betting tips up every week, usually on the Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Shels at 13/8 has me tempted to put hard earned tenner on them for interest.

Thats not what i was trying to say btw. Just thought an argument over current positions was a bit silly 4 games in.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

Interestingly, Pats haven't beaten Shels in Tolka since summer football began. Read that from a Pats fan on twitter.

chillian17 wrote: »

Interestingly, Pats haven't beaten Shels in Tolka since summer football began. Read that from a Pats fan on twitter.
    In fairness weve been in a different division half that time.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe a lot of stories I hear about LOI violence. Not saying it doesn't happen but I think a lot of it is the Joe Duffy mentality. The link above for example, I'd say the real story of that was the group of 30 was likely about 10 max. Still doesn't excuse it in any case, least of all if they were Rovers fans. Another example as a story I read online last season about trouble in the

I witnessed it there was around 30 there. Although maybe not all of them were throwing digs etc. The worst part was it was innocent fans that were attacked rather than the scum element. The guards ran in swinging batons and broke it up but never should have gotten to that stage.

Like previous posters have said incidents like these are isolated but I still wouldn't suggest away fans bringing kids to this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

chillian17 wrote: »

Their last win over us was in 2002.

Should change tonight. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rovers -v- Shels last week was class, good crowd, good atmosphere (would have been better if it wasn't a one sided mauling I suppose), and probably the best display hit off by an away side in Tallaght to date:

7010599293_d152466b9b_z.jpg

Shels away to Pats last year
    was also a great atmosphere in Tolka for the first leg, great displays all round the lot.

Wasn't a tad bit of trouble between rival fans in Tallaght last week, and I was on the Luas to and from Tallaght for it.
    Public transport before or after a Dublin Derby in Tallaght wouldn't really be a place to be. I wouldn't have brought my brother last week if it wasn't for the bus that went from Tolka.

As I said, not an ounce of trouble last week on/before/during the Luas to and from Tallaght.
    In fairness weve been in a different division half that time.

Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Like previous posters have said incidents like these are isolated but I still wouldn't suggest away fans bringing kids to this game.

For any league game at Tallaght, you're not very far from the police or the police station. For a Bohs game, you'll have to look hard to find a vantage point that doesn't include the mounted unit, vans of public order units, riot shields and sergeants/head honchos in uniform.

It's also one of the few games where there is specific in ground segregation and where separate entrances and exits are used separately and sheperded towards the Luas where you're met with yet more Gardaí. Even for the LSC.

Of all games, the visit of Bohs in Tallaght is the safest possible in Tallaght. Any other decision is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Rovers -v- Shels last week was class, good crowd, good atmosphere (would have been better if it wasn't a one sided mauling I suppose), and probably the best display hit off by an away side in Tallaght to date:

Ringsend?

What's that? like 50 years ago.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for that one.

What about Dublin's Number 4...

Ringsend?

About 50+ years ago, still true to our roots though, like Rovers, they had a pathetic "Pride of Ringsend" wallpaper banner.

What about Cork City... The 40th!;)

dfx- wrote: »
    For any league game at Tallaght, you're not very far from the police or the police station. For a Bohs game, you'll have to look hard to find a vantage point that doesn't include the mounted unit, vans of public order units, riot shields and sergeants/head honchos in uniform.

It's also one of the few games where there is specific in ground segregation and where separate entrances and exits are used separately and sheperded towards the Luas where you're met with yet more Gardaí. Even for the LSC.

Of all games, the visit of Bohs in Tallaght is the safest possible in Tallaght. Any other decision is wrong.

That's a fair post, I can't speak for Bohs games as I haven't been to any. Maybe for whatever reason they didn't/ don't expect any trouble at Dundalk games. This is a policing issue as once inside the ground I've not seen or heard of any problems and the stewards do a decent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Have to say, I did like Shels "he eats what he wants" chant last week. Got a good chuckle from the east stand.

Have to say, I did like Shels "he eats what he wants" chant last week. Got a good chuckle from the east stand.

It made one of the papers after the Derry match! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It made one of the papers after the Derry match! :D

He needs to incorporate it into a celebration somehow..

Great news about the arrangement with the Square and the barriers being open to matchgoers. Long overdue.

Ringsend?

Don't be jealous because cork will never put together 50 years of history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Really looking forward to Shels v Pats. Could be a score draw which I would be happy enough with after last weeks panto.

Speaking of which.....absolutly no trouble that I witnessed out in tallaght. Great crowd etc. The only thing that bugged me was being held back afterwards for so long. I had the young lad with me as I do every week. Have brought him everywhere around the LOI. If we see bother we usually step to the side to laugh at the gob****es acting solid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Have to disagree to be honest. Anytime I've been to Tallaght the Garda have done a tremendous job, even to the point of overkill

Were you out there the year we won the Setanta Cup final?

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13290&start=400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ringsend?

Not sure where to start with that comment. :pac::pac::pac:

:D:D:D

Ringsend?

And the other 50 years ..... and the rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I find it hard to believe a lot of stories I hear about LOI violence.

Have a look on youtube. "Rovers Bohs Hill 16".

Very entertaining. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pint later?

I'm driving down, but may pop into Fagan's if I get parking near.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

At Tallaght, great atmosphere. My mate and myself have made a phenominal wardrobe malfunction, I'm wearing a red top with black trim and hes got the black and red Blackburn away jersey from 1995 on, we feel like a pair of gimps. Sitting in the main stand.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Really annoyed at Shamrock Rovers.

I was looking for tickets to the Rovers v Bohs match and there was nothing on ticketmaster so I phoned and emailed the Rovers office but they didn't answer. This afternoon I heard them advertising tickets are still for sale, but by then I had made other plans!

I'm tired of League of Ireland clubs complaining about poor attendences, and then don't have the basic competance to reply to people who are trying to buy tickets! I haven't been to a LOI match in years and if this is how they carry on then I won't be rushing back. They need to get their bloody act together.

It's on TV now and there are loads of empty seats. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LOL!! That's a good one alright! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement