Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you bring someone on a tour of Trinity?

Options
  • 15-12-2014 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

Family member visiting from abroad who wants a tour of College. These are the places I've considered:

- GMB - Chamber and views from Hist conversation room and pool room (some of best freely accessible (to students) on campus, imo)

- Exam Hall and Chapel - two of the most striking interiors of any campus buildings

Museum Building - almost certainly the finest building on campus

Dining Hall - nothing too special, but imposing and nice entrance hall

1937 Reading Room - war memorial and interesting main hall; undergrads can get in but not out :eek:

Regent House - great view; attractive interior

Old Library and Book of Kells - self-explanatory

Fitzgerald Building and Schrodinger Theatre - old-school lecture theatre and Physics library/museum

Botany library - I've seen it through the windows and it looks pleasant

Science Gallery - self-explanatory

Are there any that anyone else would add? Also, I think entering College through the front arch is quite dramatic. Are there any vistas that you think should be seen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Zoology museum maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The Pav :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

The little geology museum in the top left of the Museum Building is kinda cool too. Some lunar rocks and meteorites there last time I went up (lecturers sometimes remove the samples for classes though), along with fossils, and the usual rocks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Challoner's Corner as well (the tiny graveyard between the Chapel and Dining Hall).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Challoner's Corner as well (the tiny graveyard between the Chapel and Dining Hall).

Is it not called Chandler's Corner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Into the Berkeley library
    The sphere outside and check out what is on display in the glass case inside the door to the left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Is it not called Chandler's Corner?

No, it's named after Dr Luke Challoner (one of the founding fellows of the college, who was first to be buried there) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

For the integrity of their name, I'm glad languagenerd was right (I do so hope the impersonal pronoun doesn't grate).

Some good ideas there, thanks. A pity that Chandler's Challoner's Corner is usually only seen by those taking money out of the ATM. I fall somewhere between atheist and irreligious, but even I wince at something so sacriligious!

It strike me that I've barely been in any of the old science buildings. I may go on a self-guided tour of them next term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Take them to the Commons for Scotch Egg. Do they still serve it there?

feargale wrote: »
    Take them to the Commons for Scotch Egg. Do they still serve it there?

I may be divulging my non-scholar status when I say that I haven't a clue. And I've no desire to, thank you very much! Nice idea, but not sure I'd feel especially comfortable during what would also be a new experience for me. Though not the same, I'm sure, lunch in the Dinning Hall may be a compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

banjopaul wrote: »
    Zoology museum maybe?

Are people still allowed in there? We were told they'd bulked up security after people just walked in and stole some tusks or horns or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Museum Building is fascinating. If you can find a tour, do it. The materials and architecture is amazing. The carvings on the outside were done by the O'Shea and Whelan masons and some depict scenes from Aesops Fables. These fellas also did the cheeky carvings on the Alliance Francaise. There's also the pair of double columns just inside the door which sound hollow when you knock in one direction but solid at right angles. This is due to a resonant/standing wave between them when you knock in the direction of their centre line (for want of a better description).

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Lawliet wrote: »
    Are people still allowed in there? We were told they'd bulked up security after people just walked in and stole some tusks or horns or something

No idea, looked around it a few times just by walking in, but that was a couple of years ago. I think even then you were actually supposed to ask permission first..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

1937 Reading Room - war memorial and interesting main hall; undergrads can get in but not out :eek:

There's an exit down by the computer room that doesn't require a swipe - just a one-way doorknob thingy. It opens onto the path between front square and the arts block.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    There's an exit down by the computer room that doesn't require a swipe - just a one-way doorknob thingy. It opens onto the path between front square and the arts block.

Knowing that would have saved me about twenty minutes of sheepish waiting at about 11pm last month!

Advertisement