Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 / Stillorgan Road - Can anything be done?

Options
  • 01-12-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Now that Newlands Cross is done & dusted, what about the Stillorgan Road / N11? It's one of the city's primary arteries for public & private transport, as well as urban and interurban traffic.

You crawl along much of the time, with endless stop/starting. Twenty sets of lights over a distance of 11km from Donnybrook to Shankill, with only a couple of grade separated junctions along the way, seem below standard.

It was built for another era of course, but now that we have HQDC/Motorways running the length and breath of the country, in areas with lower traffic volumes, surely somebody (NRA, DLR coco...) has a plan to improve things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It won't happen... as far as I know there is nothing in the planning. The only thing you might see on the very long finger is the Eastern Bypass, but I doubt it.

Interestingly you could take a grade seperated D2 all the way into Donnybrook without **too** much CPOing (its surprising how little) but then at Donnybrook itself you would end up with an intractable, severe bottleneck which can't be bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

NRA have commissioned a Road Safety Inspection of the N11 in accordance with HD17

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

...Interestingly you could take a grade seperated D2 all the way into Donnybrook without **too** much CPOing (its surprising how little)...

I had the same thought, comparing the junction with the R825 at Stillorgan, from a land perspective appears similar to the Westlink underpass. It's probably not viable to see grade separation at every junction, but even targeting a couple of the most troublesome ones, would help improve the overall flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Newlands was on the national road network, most of the Stillorgan road is no longer the N11, it is the R138.
    I had the same thought, comparing the junction with the R825 at Stillorgan, from a land perspective appears similar to the Westlink underpass. It's probably not viable to see grade separation at every junction, but even targeting a couple of the most troublesome ones, would help improve the overall flow.

A flyover at Stillorgan is a possibility, this might help the R825, but it would have little effect on the mainline other than letting people move more quickly to the next lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's more likelihood of the Eastern Bypass going ahead than grade separating the ex-N11.

If money grew on trees, I'd couple the Eastern Bypass with a Luas line down the middle of the current dualler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How much of the eastern bypass could be built now without having to tunnel? there's a reserved corridor I believe - could they bypass the N11 as far as Stillorgan that way? M50 Junctions 14-17 would presumably become M11 J1 - J4

Looking at the map, it's proposed the bypass would meet the (former) N11 at St Helens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Oh no, dream on guys!

All the DLR Co Co has in mind for the Stillorgan Road is to downgrade it by tightening junctions and removing slips for the benefit of cyclists! See >>here<<!

I think cyclists should be diverted to a new greenway system using sections of the old road, parallel roads and some new sections of dedicated greenway (the stillorgan DC may have to be shifted over a little for such sections). Also, grade separation (by underpass) would be logical at certain junctions where there's a likely significant benefit for pedestrians - the junction for Stillorgan Village SC for example.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When the Stillorgan road was dualled back in the 1970s the design standard for DCs was much lower than today. The traffic volumes back then probably didn't warrant grade separation although the junction at UCD had a bridge.

Building a grade separated junction at Stillorgan might help a little but with so many traffic light, at grade junctions on this road I can't see how it could be improved without a massive rebuild.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A small improvement would be to bring Anglesea Road up to form a cross road with Eglington Road, and break the link with Ailesbury Road. So there would be two cross roads Anglesea road - Eglington Road and Ailesbury Road - Beaver Row. Proper phasing of the lights would allow smoother flow of traffic. A bridge over the river would be needed.

Just a thought.

Also a flyover at the Loughlinstown roundabout to allow secondary traffic to get through.

They re-did the Leopardstown junction a few years ago and should have put in an underpass then.

Edit: Looking at Google Maps - I just noticed that the N11 ends northbound at Mount Merrion Avenue, but not according to the road signs. Have DCC renumbered the road without telling anyone but Google?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Edit: Looking at Google Maps - I just noticed that the N11 ends northbound at Mount Merrion Avenue, but not according to the road signs. Have DCC renumbered the road without telling anyone but Google?

Renumbered in 2012, and road signs have begun to change.

Advertisement