Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway route numbers on road signs

Options
  • 27-11-2014 8:42pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just saw that Dublin City Council has finally got around to replacing most of the signage on what was the N4 (St John's Road, Con Colbert Road, and Chapelizod Bypass) and has erected new white R148 signage (nearly two years later). What's interesting about these new signage, and some others erected by DCC recently, is that all motorway route numbers on them are in Transport font (as is the style in the UK).

An error or a change in policy? Previous policy was that Motorway route numbers were in Motorway font whether on a motorway or not, and before 2009 route numbers for all purpose roads were in Transport even if the sign was on a motorway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

that should be in the road signs manual so it should

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

icdg wrote: »
    Just saw that Dublin City Council has finally got around to replacing most of the signage on what was the N4 (St John's Road, Con Colbert Road, and Chapelizod Bypass) and has erected new white R148 signage (nearly two years later). What's interesting about these new signage, and some others erected by DCC recently, is that all motorway route numbers on them are in Transport font (as is the style in the UK).

An error or a change in policy? Previous policy was that Motorway route numbers were in Motorway font whether on a motorway or not, and before 2009 route numbers for all purpose roads were in Transport even if the sign was on a motorway.

Error

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Well I know that's what the TSM says. But I also know that between 2005-2010 most motorway signage erected in this country was radically different to what the TSM then in force mandated and this wasn't an error but deliberate policy. The point is that the TSM doesn't always reflect "on the ground" signing policy - it took a very long period of review between the 1996 and 2010 versions (during which we were subjected to the "dodgey gantries" and then the prototype of the current signs)

Well I know that's what the TSM says. But I also know that between 2005-2010 most motorway signage erected in this country was radically different to what the TSM then in force mandated and this wasn't an error but deliberate policy. The point is that the TSM doesn't always reflect "on the ground" signing policy - it took a very long period of review between the 1996 and 2010 versions (during which we were subjected to the "dodgey gantries" and then the prototype of the current signs)

These signs were erected recently though so should be as per TSM 2010.

What happened prior to that was a bit of everything as I think the 1996 TSM had only one page dedicated to motorway signs, fonts etc and was published when there were no motorways in the country.

Several advice notes were issued between 96 and 08 in order to cover the design of "new" signs as they were required.

Regional road signs do not go through the same certification process as nationals so errors like the one above will get to site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tonc76 wrote: »
    What happened prior to that was a bit of everything as I think the 1996 TSM had only one page dedicated to motorway signs, fonts etc and was published when there were no motorways in the country.

In 1996 there were sections of the M1, 4, 7, 9, 11 and 50.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    In 1996 there were sections of the M1, 4, 7, 9, 11 and 50.

Fotgot about the M50! What parts of the M4, 7 & 9?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fotgot about the M50! What parts of the M4, 7 & 9?

M4 - Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock bypass opened summer 1994 officially (I think it was open a bit before, but I can't remember for certain)

M7 - Nass Bypass was the first motorway in the country! 1983. Newbridge Bypass opened ~1994

M9 - Kilcullen Bypass was 1994 also, bit after Newbridge

There were even gantries erected at that stage - the Lucan Bypass had one at the Ballyowen exit since it opened (which may have been the first gantry sign in the country - it was removed though when the widening project commenced and not replaced for many years) and there were also gantries on the M50 at J3 northbound and on the N18 at the N19 junction. The 1996 TSM did have full details of how to sign gantries (they were more or less the same design as the UK) but for whatever reason when it came to deploying them on a massive scale it was decided to rewrite the rules. Unfortunately the first attempt was a disaster as they they told people to keep in the right hand lane which didn't help our already bad driving habits as a nation!

L1011 wrote: »
    M4 - Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock bypass opened summer 1994 officially (I think it was open a bit before, but I can't remember for certain)

M7 - Nass Bypass was the first motorway in the country! 1983. Newbridge Bypass opened ~1994

M9 - Kilcullen Bypass was 1994 also, bit after Newbridge

I thought the Kilcullen bypass was N9 until the whole route was redesigned M in the 00s? Same for Leix/Maynooth/Kilcock?

I thought the Kilcullen bypass was N9 until the whole route was redesigned M in the 00s? Same for Leix/Maynooth/Kilcock?

Nope on both counts. The Kilcullen bypass had to be a motorway as its only destination northbound was the M7 with the next exit at Newbridge. And the Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock bypass was a full blown motorway project.

• Advertisement

Nope on both counts. The Kilcullen bypass had to be a motorway as its only destination northbound was the M7 with the next exit at Newbridge. And the Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock bypass was a full blown motorway project.

Fair enough but I remember green signs on the Kilcullen stretch for years or else I've lost or altogether?

There'd have been green signs at the south end but that's it.

Advertisement