Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 12:55am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?

With household charges, water metering, flood defence and planning dominating the news over the past year, the forthcoming local elections are set to be a lively affair.

So if a candidate came knocking at your door tomorrow what would you ask them? What issues affect you and yours on a daily basis? What would you like to see changed or introduced? How satisfied are you with the current crowd and what would you like to see changed tomorrow? Do local politics even matter and how should a candidate justify themselves to the electorate?

This thread is intended to raise issues that are important to you, so hopefully local candidates can take notice. Also this thread is to have no canvassing by candidates or party representatives, and any such actions will not be allowed.

We at Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions that you the posters have posed in this threads. When that time comes we aim to use seperate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific.

Finally & importantly, we would like this thread to focus on the issues that matter to you & be able to provide the candidates with a clear list of local issues as seen by local posters. If you wish to debate the issues raised - we will create a separate thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Before the last set of local elections a candidate called to my door, the first question I asked was what was his plans to help lower unemployment in the area, he stumbled over his words and never gave an answer.

When I asked him again he's response was, "Sorry it's been a long day and I wasn't expecting any questions".

Needless to say he didn't get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Loughc wrote: »
    Before the last set of local elections a candidate called to my door, the first question I asked was what was his plans to help lower unemployment in the area, he stumbled over his words and never gave an answer.

When I asked him again he's response was, "Sorry it's been a long day and I wasn't expecting any questions".

Needless to say he didn't get my vote.

You met an honest politician, there are some around you know, somebody like that in my opinion deserves a vote even if it is only the last preference, they all won't be as truthfull as he was!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Xenophile wrote: »
    You met an honest politician, there are some around you know, somebody like that in my opinion deserves a vote even if it is only the last preference, they all won't be as truthfull as he was!

He's a politician who wasn't expecting questions calling door to door. Sorry but the minimum I expect from a politician is to represent the people who voted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Can you name two ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Can you name two ?

I accept your invitation and I will go a bit further than you asked me. As I see you are familiar with Clonmel I wil name three from the area.

Seamus Healy....WUAG........Honest
    Pat English........WUAG........Honest

Both of the above are honest but totally misguided by the ideas of Healy's older brother Paddy. Here is a link to his blog in which WUAG is mentioned no less than seventeen times.

http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/my-political-position-paddy-healy/

Siobhan Ambrose.......Fianna Fail.........Honest............but totally influenced by her dyed in the wool Fianna Fail parents.

I request that other honest local politicians in the area not to be offended by the fact that they have not been named here but I have been asked to name two and mentioned one more for a bit of balance.

Our current system of politics is likely to be with us for a long time to come so I urge people to seek honest politicians and vote for them if you agree with and support their philosophy.

I will not be entering into any further debate on this topic!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Xenophile,

Is this the Seamus Healy,of which you speak ?

"More in Healy's way of responsibility to pay the penalties for those who he urged not to pay the household charge, I believe many of Healy's supporters canvassed voters not to pay this charge even though they paid it themselves. Healy has a fine pension from the HSE and also a fine salary from the Dail and will have a fine pension from the Dail after he ceases to become a member which I believe will be after the next general election. I urge Healy to financially help the people in need who he misled. He never saw it coming that the Revenue Commissioners would be charged with collecting this tax, and for those who are not aware of it the Revenue Commissioners can get your money or assets even after you are dead.

The game is up with Healy as I believe he will not stand in the next General Election. He and his party have done nothing for Clonmel and the sooner we see the back of these nay sayers the better! So I urge people in the Clonmel area to turn their backs on these misguided politicians in the forthcoming elections. Bet Healy and the likes of Joe Higgins will pay the household charge in order to get a Tax Clearance Certificate to get their salary. Put up or shut up you already misled too many people. Mr Seamus Healy T.D. I think you should resign from the Dail right now."

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Xenophile,

Is this the Seamus Healy,of which you speak ?

"More in Healy's way of responsibility to pay the penalties for those who he urged not to pay the household charge, I believe many of Healy's supporters canvassed voters not to pay this charge even though they paid it themselves. Healy has a fine pension from the HSE and also a fine salary from the Dail and will have a fine pension from the Dail after he ceases to become a member which I believe will be after the next general election. I urge Healy to financially help the people in need who he misled. He never saw it coming that the Revenue Commissioners would be charged with collecting this tax, and for those who are not aware of it the Revenue Commissioners can get your money or assets even after you are dead.

The game is up with Healy as I believe he will not stand in the next General Election. He and his party have done nothing for Clonmel and the sooner we see the back of these nay sayers the better! So I urge people in the Clonmel area to turn their backs on these misguided politicians in the forthcoming elections. Bet Healy and the likes of Joe Higgins will pay the household charge in order to get a Tax Clearance Certificate to get their salary. Put up or shut up you already misled too many people. Mr Seamus Healy T.D. I think you should resign from the Dail right now."
    he is contrtadicting himself again

Feel compelled to reply.

Healy, honest but misguided, no contradiction in any of my above posts.

Above posters masters of the five or six word one liners! No substance!

Feel compelled to reply.

you wrote
    I urge Healy to financially help the people in need who he misled.
    misleading people is not the action of an honest person. you have no substance only a collection of !!!

Feel compelled to reply.

Five or six word one liners ???

I quoted your post !!

• Advertisement

Five or six word one liners ???

I quoted your post !!
    Xenophile should be a politician, when he is in a hole he digs and then runs away and will not debate it further

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mod post: Folks, please keep things civil here and stop bickering. Thanks.

Not good enough tbh. About time the Irish demanded more from our politicians. If he cannot grasp that we might want them to look after the interests of their constituents then they are very wet behind the ears or just think its a popularity contest that is a pathway to the high life.

For one ill be taking them to task over the development fees. Construction industry on its knees and these idiots increase the rates looking for contribution to services (roads, water, amenities) which they normally fail to provide in good times.

Another thing ill be bringing up is the chronic state of the roads and the poor maintenance on them. The water supply has been haph-hazard also

WayneScott wrote: »
    Xenophile should be a politician, when he is in a hole he digs and then runs away and will not debate it further

Same as in the Tipperary GAA thread to be honest. Offers the opinion and no further rationale or debate as to why this opinion was put forward. Wouldnt like to see his attempts at writing a thesis

Same as in the Tipperary GAA thread to be honest. Offers the opinion and no further rationale or debate as to why this opinion was put forward. Wouldnt like to see his attempts at writing a thesis
    he has opinions all right - just tries to get others to air them

Right, final warning. Please keep this thread on topic and stop bickering. If you have a problem with a post please report it instead.

Edit: Finally & importantly, we would like this thread to focus on the issues that matter to you & be able to provide the candidates with a clear list of local issues as seen by local posters. If you wish to debate the issues raised - we will create a separate thread. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I

digzy wrote: »
    I

It was wise of you to withdraw your allegation of "hypocrisy". As I stand over everything I write here.

Whether you know it or not Moderators can read edited and deleted posts.

You now have the shortest post ever written on Boards.ie.

Mod post: Both of you have been issued with warnings after me twice asking you to remain civil. Can we please just get back to the topic at hand rather than ranting about other posters and attacking them?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I will be wicket worried about the water charges.I asked a fella who came to the door today about it,he didn't seem to know how much I might be paying.I asked him could he tell me how much it would cost to fill the bath once a week for my wash,and he couldn't tell me.I got an auld yoke in the door for some woman who is looking for votes.It said on the card "I wont make any promises"..Isnt that a handy way of not breaking any.But the worst of all are the feckers who drop stuff in the door,and no matter how fast you are out,they are gone.Mrs looby ssaid I should hide behind the wheelie bin with a hurley,but that might end up with me locked up,but by Christ I would get fed and have a bath anyway.They should herd the whole fecking lot of them up to the hotel where that barry fella could hack the brains of them all,and then we would know the lies from the truth.
    Pakie.

I heard that Mattie McGrath and a few other TD's now reckon that the Local Elections are actually illegal because the Act abolishing Town Councils was never voted upon.They have taken a High Court case.

It isn't stopping him canvassing with the Local Election candidates for what he deems to be an "illegal election". Does this mean he is encouraging them to act illegally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I will be wicket worried about the water charges.I asked a fella who came to the door today about it,he didn't seem to know how much I might be paying.I asked him could he tell me how much it would cost to fill the bath once a week for my wash,and he couldn't tell me.I got an auld yoke in the door for some woman who is looking for votes.It said on the card "I wont make any promises"..Isnt that a handy way of not breaking any.But the worst of all are the feckers who drop stuff in the door,and no matter how fast you are out,they are gone.Mrs looby ssaid I should hide behind the wheelie bin with a hurley,but that might end up with me locked up,but by Christ I would get fed and have a bath anyway.They should herd the whole fecking lot of them up to the hotel where that barry fella could hack the brains of them all,and then we would know the lies from the truth.
    Pakie.

Is this for real like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Is this for real like.
    HaHa,you shouldn't take Pakie to seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Speaking as someone living in the Clonmel area I would like to ask any callers about the following:
    1. Make up of the new county council - any cost saving initiatives (like back room functions), where will meetings be held
    2. Condition of the Davis road, particularly between Dunnes and the traffic lights just after the Showgrounds
    3. High incidence of vacant units in town centre - any innovative schemes to lower rates and fill these
    4. Do they have any agreements in place to vote with certain parties regardless of the issue at hand
    5. What are their priorities for their council term

Is this for real like.

Very kind of you to be concerned:)..I was reading yesterdays paper,it said the amount of free water would allow for one shower,or 13 flushes of the toilet.I don't mind the toilet so much,as its only Mrs Looby and meself,so there wouldn't be much pressure there,although if we don't pay ,there will be no pressure at all,which I think is a feckin disgrace.Herself uses the shower,but I prefer the bathbecause I don't trust water coming from electric wires,it cant be good.I am still wicket worried about me weekly bath,and how many litres would fill that,well I don't fill to the top.I came up with a bit of an idea on how to work out the bath thing.I am going to buy a litre bottle of water,the water the make in the factory,and fill the bath with that..it might ease my mind a bit.The bits of paper are still coming in the door,but by god,I cant catch any of the feckers looking for the votes.I can tell you any of those shaggers wont be stuck for a sup of water..tis enough to get to sleep with the worry of it all
    Pakie.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

In reality none of them have the power to do much other than blow hot air in the council chambers once a month (alternating between Nenagh and the newly refurbished Clonmel chambers I believe)

The only revenue raising powers they have are commerical rates and parking charges - and we'll all scream like stuck pigs if those were put up.

As a council they can lobby central government for more of a payout from central taxation to pay for all the working infrastructure that we would love to have. But really it is the County Manager who is running the show, hopefully running an efficient department (no slackers but probably unable to sack them) using the latest technology to catalogue assets, identify those in need of repair or upgrade and present a reasoned justification for requested expenditure.

Just about all the councillors could do to help us is rent out the unused council ofices e.g. Cahir, to start-up business at a reduced rate to encourage new business who might employ a few people that would pay tax and bring footfall to the town. Not an immediate benefit in terms of council coffers, but a help to the local community, right?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

The new Single Local Authority ie Tipperary will have the function of fixing rates on commercial properties, this is good news for Clonmel as it already has the highest commercial property rates in all of the county.

So my question is

How soon can we expect a reduction in commercial property rates in the Clonmel area?

Advertisement