Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why call it a slow lane, when theres no such thing as a fast lane.

• 07-04-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly as it says in the title.

Driving home the other day, first observation is that on most of the hills I encountered, where there is a climbling lane and an over taking lane, the climber lane is indentified as a slow lane according to the road markings and signage.

Second observation, couple weeks ago, driving on section of HQDC, the temporaly digital road signs have the sign up, hard shoulder and slow lane closed, please use fast lane.

So if the people employed or contracted to look after our roads cant get it right, how are the rest of us suppose to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The words 'slow' and 'fast' are composed of 4 letter each; 'driving', 'climbing', and 'overtaking' take 7, 8, and 10 respectively.
    This likely makes a difference when painting text on the road or trying to fit a message onto a roadside electronic sign.

Unfortunately, it perpetuates the misunderstanding of the purpose of the lanes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Rovi wrote: »
    The words 'slow' and 'fast' are composed of 4 letter each; 'driving', 'climbing', and 'overtaking' take 7, 8, and 10 respectively.
    This likely makes a difference when painting text on the road or trying to fit a message onto a roadside electronic sign.

Unfortunately, it perpetuates the misunderstanding of the purpose of the lanes :(
    Good point, although 'Left and 'Right' might fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

irish-stew wrote: »
    Second observation, couple weeks ago, driving on section of HQDC, the temporaly digital road signs have the sign up, hard shoulder and slow lane closed, please use fast lane..

Why call it HQDC ? wtf is that :rolleyes::D

Why are people so keen to abbreviate everything these days,it's an element of US/British media creeping inot our daily lives that LMALPO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In the case of the climbing lanes I think the terminology is okay, seeing as how that lane is a lane for slow moving vehicles to pull into to allow cars to drive on? I havent driven one of those roads too often but if I recall the main lane of the road continues on the right hand lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

djimi wrote: »
    In the case of the climbing lanes I think the terminology is okay, seeing as how that lane is a lane for slow moving vehicles to pull into to allow cars to drive on? I havent driven one of those roads too often but if I recall the main lane of the road continues on the right hand lane?
    I think the problem with that is that very few drivers, whatever their speed, like to be defined as 'Slow'. Calling the overtaking lane a 'Maniac Lane' would probably work better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tossy wrote: »
    Why call it HQDC ? wtf is that :rolleyes::D

Why are people so keen to abbreviate everything these days,it's an element of US/British media creeping inot our daily lives that LMALPO :D

High Quality Duel Carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

irish-stew wrote: »
    High Quality Duel Carriageway.
    If only :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Rovi wrote: »
    This likely makes a difference when painting text on the road or trying to fit a message onto a roadside electronic sign...
    "1", "2", "3", "4" and "5" occupy only a single character each, and counting from the left in Ireland / UK. OZ. SA, NZ, India etc is the internationally recognised way of identifying lanes.

No stigma is implied and this stupid fast / slow / climbing / overtaking / left / right terminology which is always subject to some thicko's mis-interpretation disappears and becomes as easy as 1-2-3 and crystal clear, even to said thicko. Simplez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I always refered to them as the inside, middle (where 3 lanes apply) and outside lanes.

Advertisement