Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne to replace Colm Hayes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

fatalll wrote: »
    that rte circle is still intact so i see...#jobsfortheboys
    ridicolous...Where was the advertisment for this job?

I don't understand this point. The guy was in one of the biggest boy bands in the world, a huge celebrity (although maybe not quite the status he once had). And has proven he can present with the hit etc... Surely he's a major name for any station to get on their schedule? Hardly jobs for the boys.... Whether his show will be any use is a different matter but I really don't see it as rte looking after a mate. If he had zero experience and wasn't a household name I'd agree with you. As for advertising the job, it looks like rte wanted him, and they offered him the job. Pointless to advertise and hope he applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Hi Dan/Bertie/Nicky's Wife/Cleaner/Nicky himself. I hope you're well!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi Dan/Bertie/Nicky's Wife/Cleaner/Nicky himself. I hope you're well!

Given the relative level of articulation expressed in the post you refer to, we can safely rrrrrrrrrrrrrule out Bbbbbbbbbertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Mr. Bland is on Tubs' show right now

Brace yourself for brown-nosing radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bureau2009

News just in -Lottie Ryan to replace Miriam O'Callaghan on Primetime.......:rolleyes:
    No problem there - they're both two of a kind............:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

Is it possible that this Nicky Byrne thing might turn out to be alright in the medium term if he keeps his gob mostly shut and plays some music?

I know that would be a radical departure for 2 FM during the day, but it is possible, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Expunge wrote: »
    Is it possible that this Nicky Byrne thing might turn out to be alright in the medium term if he keeps his gob mostly shut and plays some music?

I know that would be a radical departure for 2 FM during the day, but it is possible, no?

I wonder if he will bring his Father in Law onto the show for a weekly sports slot. Perhaps every Friday he could come on and do a summary of the weekends games :D

gazzer wrote: »
    I wonder if he will bring his Father in Law onto the show for a weekly sports slot. Perhaps every Friday he could come on and do a summary of the weekends games :D

Ah, "The Premiership" show with Bertie as guest panelist - that was one of the most disgraceful stunts ever by RTE to allow a serving politician (leader of the country actually at the time) effectively an hour and a half of prime time television to show how "down with de ord-in-airy man o' de street" he really was. That he failed to get the players names of not only global superstars but those of his "beloved" Manchester United correct illustrated how little this fraud really knew about the game he was providing his "analysis" on, but given the Bertie love-in that many were engaged in at the time he of course got away with it relatively unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭joi99

Is it true Lottie Ryan will be co-presenting with him?? :mad::mad::mad:

joi99 wrote: »
    Is it true Lottie Ryan will be co-presenting with him?? :mad::mad::mad:

Ah here…...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Sweet jaysus. privileged child of former broadcaster gets gig on basis of who she is. I thought Dan Healy was about talent not nepotism? I heard her "contributions" to Colm Hayes before I gave up on his show and they were pathetic. Her tweets are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ah, "The Premiership" show with Bertie as guest panelist - that was one of the most disgraceful stunts ever by RTE to allow a serving politician (leader of the country actually at the time) effectively an hour and a half of prime time television to show how "down with de ord-in-airy man o' de street" he really was. That he failed to get the players names of not only global superstars but those of his "beloved" Manchester United correct illustrated how little this fraud really knew about the game he was providing his "analysis" on, but given the Bertie love-in that many were engaged in at the time he of course got away with it relatively unscathed.

I remember this well. It was cringe-worthy television. He actually "got away with it" at the time because it was the Saturday evening before 9/11. Don't ask me how I remember that! But as a result, Bertie's soccer punditry debut soon became yesterday's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Where's Matthew Bannister when you need him?

Very true, never was someone like Matthew Bannister so badly needed.

'The Nations Favourite: True Adventures of Radio 1' by Matthew Garfield is a great fly on the wall account of how Bannister dismantled and rebuilt BBC Radio 1. You can pick it up on ebay for a few euro. In some ways, 2FM would be a far easier task because their ratings have fallen so much.

And there must be talent around the local stations and pirates who could make 2FM into an energetic youth station which has some relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

What s the matter with you people. ? Big changes are coming to 2fm as well as new talent.
    Skid X wrote: »
    Very true, never was someone like Matthew Bannister so badly needed.

'The Nations Favourite: True Adventures of Radio 1' by Matthew Garfield is a great fly on the wall account of how Bannister dismantled and rebuilt BBC Radio 1. You can pick it up on ebay for a few euro. In some ways, 2FM would be a far easier task because their ratings have fallen so much.

And there must be talent around the local stations and pirates who could make 2FM into an energetic youth station which has some relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Byrne said this morning he will be co-presenting with a female DJ - looks like it will be Lottie...stupid that even a co-presenting slot can't be given to a new/non-RTE talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Byrne said this morning he will be co-presenting with a female DJ - looks like it will be Lottie...stupid that even a co-presenting slot can't be given to a new/non-RTE talent.

Lottie Ryan has no talent whatsoever. Its a disgrace that just because of who's daughter she is, that she is given a job on national radio.

If her time filling in on Saturday morning breakfast is anything to go by, 2 FM may as well close up shop now!

Could be Twink……….lol.:rolleyes::D

What are Ryan's other kids going to do with Lottie getting all of these jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Putting Lottie Ryan into a full time radio job makes as much sense as a Premier League team buying Callum Best.

She just isn't cut out for Radio.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seem to be taking the approach the telco I worked for in the mists of time had - lets through two newbies at one job and they should muck through it...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Could be Twink……….lol.:rolleyes::

Or maxi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

He would what to piss off and Learn to become a better DJ. He is so boring. And

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Loshie Ryyyaan - never ending updates on those Kardashian people.
    Nicky Button - can almost hear the smirk on his smug talentless face

An awful move by RTE. At this rate I'll nearly have to switch over to Ray D'arsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Skid X wrote: »
    Putting Lottie Ryan into a full time radio job makes as much sense as a Premier League team buying Callum Best.

She just isn't cut out for Radio.

I always liked Fiona Looney, not sure where she went? Loved her voice, and always felt she could hold her own when she filled in for Gerry

Lottie tbh comes across as too young (because she is) and just no substance...also that annoying posh northside (but should have been southside) Dort accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    I always liked Fiona Looney, not sure where she went? Loved her voice, and always felt she could hold her own when she filled in for Gerry [/quote

Oh dear God no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I was on the road this morning.. couldnt get Newstalk coverage, John Murray was talking about depression for a change, so I switched to Tubridy just in time to catch the phone call to Nicky Burten. Now, I think Nicky is actually a sound guy. But how on earth can they give him a radio show on the national broadcaster with virtually no presenting experience... (aside from his informercial type appearances on TV last year). And now rumours of Lottie Ryan being given a job alongside him.. It really is a mess.

The phone call at least gave Tubridy the opportunity to dazzle us with the one core talent that has got him where he is.... gratuitous boot licking. You kind of wonder how many more times RTE get him to announce new shows adjacent to his, before somebody eventually has the balls to tackle the main problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Expunge wrote: »

It's not going to happen, from the man with more u-turns than anyone else, Dan Healy
    The show is going to be speech-based, but fast-paced and we'll aim to bang out 10 tunes in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If it's not Lottie getting the gig, it'll be yer'wan Louise McSharry, methinks. Not that I'm saying that it is a good thing, but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I don't understand this point. The guy was in one of the biggest boy bands in the world, a huge celebrity (although maybe not quite the status he once had). And has proven he can present with the hit etc... Surely he's a major name for any station to get on their schedule? Hardly jobs for the boys.... Whether his show will be any use is a different matter but I really don't see it as rte looking after a mate. If he had zero experience and wasn't a household name I'd agree with you. As for advertising the job, it looks like rte wanted him, and they offered him the job. Pointless to advertise and hope he applies.
    Maybe if they interviewed or got demos in they might have found someone better...

It is the the great big circle..
    look at the people in rte, relations/friends etc...
    you will see what I mean...
    I admit they may be good at their jobs(well some of them)
    but that is not the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    I always liked Fiona Looney, not sure where she went? Loved her voice, and always felt she could hold her own when she filled in for Gerry

Lottie tbh comes across as too young (because she is) and just no substance...also that annoying posh northside (but should have been southside) Dort accent

Totally disagree with the first paragraph, keep Looney and her Dublin drawl off the radio.

Totally agree with the second paragraph, that accent would ensure I would never go near that show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Putting a 'Celeb' on a radio slot has its merits and I can see a logic, but once the novelty wears off, the lack of skills will be all that's left. As for Lottie Ryan, your tax dollars at work. As long as there's a broadcast/communications fee she'll always have a job. I'd love to see a fly on the wall doc of her in another country trying to get plumb gigs.

Advertisement