Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to do....

• 06-04-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

bloke i know in town (quite well) heard i was selling my range rover p38 we agreed a price of 3k (its a 2000 dse with all the toys and in real good nick) subject to it passing an NCT, i then got locked out of it and called the AA they faffed around all morning and at one point had the bonnet open with the jump pack under it, trying to put power back through the gearbox plug to pop the central locking? thing is the plug they pointed out to me was the crank position sensor.... anyhoo they got me in and sorted(this was 2 months ago and took amonth to sort after i got a deposit) i put it in for the NCT and it failed on no main beam. long story short is the BECM was fried by the monkeys at the AA, this is not my problem however!

the bloke collected it yesterday and spent the day pootling around and has decided that he doesnt like the way that it drives being an auto it takes a lot to get her going and he's not sure about the way auto's sound "revvy" and thinks the box is going to let go! he is now holding back payment of the 2k balance and is asking me to perhaps sell it to some one else and give him his 1k deposit back!! pissed off and not sure what to do as i do know him quite well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Have you turned down any other buyers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

no as i hadnt even advertised it! he heard thru a friend that i was thinking of selling and approached me. thing is he knows i'm a real enthusiast and i looked long and hard for the right one as i was intending keeping it, unfortunately i got made redundant last august and just cant afford to keep it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Just give him back the deposit and put it down to experience as telling him to **** off will become a real ball ache I'd say

So this person hasn't really left you in a financial disposition then? Tbh.... Id take fiddy quid for the inconvenience and leave it at that...

i dont have the deposit tho! its spent on bills and such:( not gonna be easy sell a range rover these days tho

• Advertisement

That's kind of your problem though. Not being smart but this fella hasn't left you at a loss.... I'm afraid I can see no real reason to justifiably retain the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can see no real reason to justifiably retain the deposit.
    I can.

If the money is gone OP be straight up and tell him and see what his reaction is. He may just take the car and pay up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

serious3 wrote: »
    subject to it passing an NCT

How much will it take to get the Range Rover to pass the NCT? Do you have the money?

As it was a condition of the sale, if you can't get it NCT'd, then you owe him the deposit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

the bloke collected it yesterday and spent the day pootling around and has decided that he doesnt like the way that it drives being an auto it takes a lot to get her going and he's not sure about the way auto's sound "revvy" and thinks the box is going to let go! he is now holding back payment of the 2k balance and is asking me to perhaps sell it to some one else and give him his 1k deposit back!! pissed off and not sure what to do as i do know him quite well.

Or the short version, he took it for a spin and saw how much fuel it used and is looking for a way out.

You're out of luck anyway. You agreed a sale on it having an NCT, it doesn't so he doesn't have to buy it unless you can get the AA to repair the BECM and get it passed.

Another reason not to sell to mates, or more importantly spend the deposit before the sale is finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

List it on sumtree donedeal etc. If it sells for 2,800 he gets 800 back etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the guy is entitled to his deposit back as it didn't pass the NCT. I can't see what else you can do other than make an arrangement with him and take any loss yourself, it's not his fault.

becm is repaired and the nct is booked with what it failed on, main beam and droplink, fixed, he has the car and is driving it around!! i get the impression from him that he's got buyers remorse as his brother who is a landrover man thru and thru, hates p38's and he didn't tell him he was buying it first. i'm gonna tell him to pay me and then he can re-sell it if he still doesnt like the way it drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Once it passes the NCT, he owes you €2k.

You'll have kept your side of the deal, and he's taken delivery of the car already.

TBH, I dunno what he's playing at if he's decided he doesn't like it, but he's still driving around in it...

just got a call from the bloke, all apologetic and everything! he's been out for a good spin today and realised that there is nothing wrong with it and that he was expecting too much from a 2.5 diesel range rover weighing 2.5tonnes!! money in me arse pocket now as i type. thanks for the replies and advice lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

just got a call from the bloke, all apologetic and everything! he's been out for a good spin today and realised that there is nothing wrong with it and that he was expecting too much from a 2.5 diesel range rover weighing 2.5tonnes!! money in me arse pocket now as i type. thanks for the replies and advice lads
    All's well that ends well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

i put it in for the NCT and it failed on no main beam. long story short is the BECM was fried by the monkeys at the AA, this is not my problem however!

Can anyone correct me on this, but main beam was never checked on nct. Dipped one is always checked, along with parking lights, but main/high beam???

wonski wrote: »
    Can anyone correct me on this, but main beam was never checked on nct. Dipped one is always checked, along with parking lights, but main/high beam???

They don't check the aim of it, afaik they do check it functions :)

Page 47 of the manual...........

HEADLAMP CONDITION
    Method of Testing
    1. With the headlamps switched to main or dipped beams, check that each headlamp shows a light of the same colour (white or
    yellow) of such intensity as to sufficiently illuminate the road in front of the vehicle.
    2. Check the condition and colour of the headlamp glass and reflectors.
    3. Check the operation and security of the headlamp, dip switch and the headlamp main beam warning light.
    ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    Main or Dipped Beams
    Glass, Bulb and Reflecting Material
    Head Lamps
    Dip or Headlamp Switch
    Dipped Beam
    Colour
    Main Beam Warning Light
    1 Dipped beams not working simultaneously.
    2 Main beams not working simultaneously.

Advertisement